Turbo not kicking in, other performance issues - Hyundai Elantra GT Turbo & Elantra GT N Performance Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Turbo not kicking in, other performance issues

Hi all,

New to the forum here. Hoping someone may have some ideas. I am intermittently having issues with my Ď18 GTSport. This has happened on 3 occasions now. Iíve had the car since Nov/18. After driving for more than 1 1/2 hr straight, my turbo doesnít seem to kick in anymore, and i lose acceleration. I can have my pedal to the floor and nothing, or very little/slow acceleration. I gear down, and still no acceleration. I stop after I get to a destination, and let the car rest for an hour or so, go to drive again, and everything seems to be back to normal.
Iíve also noticed alot of times, the turbo/acceleration isnít smooth particularity in 3rd gear. It tends to lag/hesitate, and sometimes it feels the turbo isnít kicking in at all.
Iíve only got 19,000km on it. Iíve had the dealership look into once already, and of course the day they had it the car was running great so couldnít find any issues.
Any ideas what to check or what the problem may be? Thanks.
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:47 AM

Hey Cypress. There are a couple of things to troubleshoot if you think something is amiss with your turbo. Are any lights coming on at all? Sometimes a car can revert to limp mode as a result of a bad oxygen sensor, frayed wire etc. Id also check your air filter for any blockages. Your dealer should still be able to perform a pressure test to ensure there are no leaks. A clamp may just need to be changed or tightened.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Hey Jericho, no lights come on at all. Iíve had the air filter changed. Thanks for the input. Iíll talk to the dealer to see if they can perform the pressure test, and Iíll look for any frayed wires. Thanks.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page