Lack of response - Hyundai Elantra GT Turbo & Elantra GT N Performance Forum
 3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Unread 07-22-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Lack of response

So I noticed a lack of responsiveness from the accelerator from time to time. It was a dog from a dead stop and I had the pedal floored. It didn’t get out of its own way until about 4K rpm. I did have the ac on and the stereo was pretty loud. Is this due to voltage drop? I’m quite mechanically inclined and built a few cars without all this electrical nonsense so for me to say it’s not responsive I mean the car didn’t have any power or wanted to move at all. It putted along until 4K. This doesn’t make any sense to me with this drive by wire crap. Any ideas to fix this?
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Unread 07-24-2019, 03:31 PM

I've noticed there isn't much participation on this forum. But from what I have read on the FB groups, the lack of response is due to the DCT having stall moments where it basically has to catch up with its own thought process to figure out what it needs to do. This is apparently very normal for this style trannie and just a pain in the arse you learn to deal with and to anticipate when you plan to make a sudden acceleration, esp if you're going to pass someone in a tight gap.

I haven't heard much on the models with the Shiftronic trannie but I personally found those to have an even worse responsiveness and seemed to jerk harder once they did finally get going.

Last edited by vmoore0485; 07-24-2019 at 03:37 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Unread 07-24-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

The shiftronic is garbage. It feels like voltage drop like the computer is not seeing the throttle position on the pedal.

TBH I hate the car. I’m stuck with it for now.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Unread 07-25-2019, 10:50 AM

You have a warranty. Go to the dealer and get it fixed. Mine doesn't have the problems you describe. When I stomp on it, it takes off and pulls hard to red-line. My car is stock. Has been the same for over 15k miles now.
hyundaiguy and miluardo like this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Unread 07-25-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdod04 View Post
You have a warranty. Go to the dealer and get it fixed. Mine doesn't have the problems you describe. When I stomp on it, it takes off and pulls hard to red-line. My car is stock. Has been the same for over 15k miles now.
Basically the best advice. Its even more important to use the warranty ASAP because if warranty work is long and drawn out it eats into the time we have to use it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Unread 07-30-2019, 04:35 PM

Should we assume you have the base engine with automatic transmission?

Have you had the dealer take a look at it?

You could try running a tank of premium and see if that changes anything. I'm not suggesting this long term but either run tank very low or do two tanks of premium back to back to see if you notice any difference.

AC and a cranked up aftermarket audio system are certainly a load on your engine that will reduce performance.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Unread 07-30-2019, 04:36 PM

Where do you live? Elevation and high temps this time of year combined with running air conditioning can really impact available power.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Unread 08-05-2019, 03:27 PM

This^ Im at 6500 ft for my daily and its got a little less pep in its step than it should. If i drive up to anything above 10k feet and go its a dog, and has some sputter. Im going to take it to the dealer to see if they can give it a tune for the higher altitude. Adjust the air fuel, idle, etc.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Unread 08-06-2019, 10:55 AM

The OP mentioned in another thread that they don't have the turbo model.

I have the 2018 Elantra GT GLS 2.0L in manual.

You don't get any action until around 4k RPM because that's where a naturally aspirated engine's power band is.

First gear being somewhat of an exception. You can basically stomp first gear to redline.

You're only working with 150HP it's not like this thing is a rocket. That being said I can chirp the tires on mine going from 1st into 2nd at redline if the throttle stays open a bit.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Unread 08-07-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Ok so the dealer I got it from rolled me on this car and I hate it. I’m done going back to them. I have to keep it for a year then trade it in. By then anyways the new n line sonata will be out and I’ll be buying that. I don’t live in elevated areas. Premium doesn’t help. No codes come up so the dealer won’t do anything anyways. I put too much down on the car and bought it from a dealer that didn’t have shopper assurance. So I got screwed.

It is what it is. Only issue I have now is the glass was all covered with acid etched drips and didn’t notice because I had the car tinted almost right after I found I was stuck with it. It’s all on the outside. I tried invisible glass polish, bon ami, steel wool 0000, polishing compound with and without clay and yet the glass still looks like junk. Can’t see out of any of the windows when it gets wet. Any other ideas? The dealer had the car for a few days and told me it was fixed but they didn’t fix anything. Still shows the stock number in the glass when you fog it up with the ac on a hot day.