Lap3 ECU tune void warranty? - Hyundai Elantra GT Turbo & Elantra GT N Performance Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Lap3 ECU tune void warranty?

Have an 18' GTS (Canadian Top Trim) and im looking at purchasing the Lap3 tuned ECU. My question is will this void my warranty? If I purchase a completly new tuned ECU and swap them if I need to; for example needed service done on the car at my dealership. Can I do that?
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:38 AM

Garage
How would they know you tuned it -- if you put back the stock ECU?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:26 PM

I've heard of people getting denied because of tampering around the ECU (i.e paint missing off of bolt, wiring clips tampered etc.)
I would probably take the chance of not getting caught. Really depends on how the dealers handle the situation. If you have a good dealership you should be okay.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

They might know if I swapped the tuned ECU out for the stock ECU for service. Dont know how they would fugure it out. I might just straight up ask service next time I go. Anyone have a LAP3 tuned ECU in their GTS by chance? Would like to know their thoughts on it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinistrM View Post
They might know if I swapped the tuned ECU out for the stock ECU for service. Dont know how they would fugure it out. I might just straight up ask service next time I go. Anyone have a LAP3 tuned ECU in their GTS by chance? Would like to know their thoughts on it.
@iammarkus has one. Maybe they'll chime in.

I doubt they'd notice if you swapped back your original ECU, but there could be some sort of detection mechanic in the OEM ECU that says 'I've been disconnected for x amount of time'
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 05:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by miluardo View Post
How would they know you tuned it -- if you put back the stock ECU?
The stock head unit's secret engineering mode has the option to dump system log files to a connected USB drive. It might be worth looking at what kind of data is in there, but the dealership might have access to even more logging than that. Whether or not they would check it or use it to invalidate a warranty is always the question, though.
miluardo likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 05:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalculonsTalent View Post
The stock head unit's secret engineering mode has the option to dump system log files to a connected USB drive. It might be worth looking at what kind of data is in there, but the dealership might have access to even more logging than that. Whether or not they would check it or use it to invalidate a warranty is always the question, though.
Yeah I suppose there's two questions:

1) Is there a second ECU or eMMC that stores logs?

2) Does the stock ECU have a way to detect that it's been swapped?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

So the best way to check is just to ask the dealership upfront then before doing any swapping with the ECU
miluardo likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:15 PM

As I understand the law, Hyundai (or any OEM) can only deny warranty coverage if they can prove that the modification you did caused a defect in the vehicle. The burden of proof is on them. If you think the tune will still allow the vehicle to run problem-free, then you have nothing to worry about. If you're worried that the tune might cause the vehicle to start acting up, then you can probably forget about the powertrain warranty (at least).
Exeno and miluardo like this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 05:31 PM

Or for a tune, you could just use this. I have this and I can truly say it rocks!
https://www.gantuning.com/chiptuning...t-204hp-265nm/
So when taking your car to a dealer, no ECU dump issues and you can even plug in the bypass and remove the "CHIP" for lack of a better word.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page