Hyundai Elantra GT banner

Turbo Surge

7K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Bizzenn1976@gmail.com 
#1 ·
Good evening, I have a 2019 GTN Line and its my first boosted vehicle, as its hard to find a good naturally aspirated engine in what I want. Anyway, when accelerating from 3-4k rpm, sometimes I get a surging feeling. The dealer says that when thats happening that the wastegate is on the threash hold of being open and closed. I know there is an aftermarket wastegate solenoid out there that can fix this but I don't want to void any part of my warranty for something they should tune properly. Anybody else experience this? Also, I was thinking if I had more air flow with a K&N filter or even an intake, that could help. Your thoughts?

#11 ·
I don't know if it's a safety feature or not, but I can confirm that I don't get any boost until my car's warmed up.

Colder weather is better for your engine/turbo in general but until the coolant and oil has moved through the engine it's possible the ECU holds back the boost. The other part of this might be that you haven't had enough load on the engine to create an appreciable amount of exhaust gasses to spool the turbo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.