Hyundai Elantra GT banner

New owner questions

12K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  Emayham 
#1 ·
I have a 2019 N Line and I am pondering modding it but I'm not sure. Your thoughts on the following:

Performance filter vs. Intake

Intake worth it without a tune?

#2 ·
I don't think an intake is worth it. The current one is already grabbing air from the front grill(ie: amoung the coldest places to get it) through a scoop.

If you want hp/torque gains with this car without swapping the turbo your basically looking at:

Highflow downpipe and cat-back exhaust.
Tune and run 93.

Then maybe adding an intake might push out a few more HP.

#3 ·
Thank you for the input. I thought about the intake because it doesn't have a MAF and with the turbo sucking more air its claimed that I can get 10 hp. However, Maybe just a K&N or equivalent for better airflow. Its just my daily so I probably won't tune it or swap the exhaust because it sounds great for me. My other question is when moderately accelerating from say 40-55 I get this surge sometimes. I've read that it has to due with the factory wastgate but apparently Hyundai went to an electronic one for 2019 so its pointless to upgrade. Your thoughts?

#5 ·
Its more like a hesitation but since I switched back to 87 octane it has pretty much stopped. It could also be the car still breaking in , I don't know. It does not do it in manual mode, but again it has pretty much ceased. I've never owned a turbo car as I prefer N/A cars, however they seem to be scarce these days unless its a V8.

#7 ·
It's not a 'bad' upgrade, but 300-400 Canadian for 14HP is not good value. I saw your other post saying that they acutally dyno'd a stock n-line and gained HP --- which is pretty interesting!

The Dyno's that AFE has on their website are on the Elantra Sport, and it's running a catback exhaust when they show the HP gain.

If you are frequently WOT throttle you *might* notice that gain, and ultimately what it comes down to, is if you want to do it; do it!

I'd personally put that 300-400 towards something better like a downpipe, catback, tune, or better tires -- but I totally understand wanting to do an intake.

#8 ·
Intake does result in a power increase.
Moreso with a chip or a tuned ECU
Mild increase in power (negligible almost) but a noticeable increase in "rorty sounds" if you swap out the intercooler resonator. It's only like a $25 part anyhow, cheap effective mod.

Some vendors, such as SXTH Element (check them out) have all sorts of mods for these cars. Including an up-rated boost solenoid, which can help alleviate surge whether stock OR modified.

Etc. Plenty of threads here and there with people listing mods.

#9 ·
Well being that it’s my daily and it’s new, I do t want them to give me a reason to void my warranty even though I k ow the part itself has to cause the issue. I do like the idea of the solenoid for the surge. I will mod the crap out of a toy but this is t it. I think I’ll do a panel filter and AFE said they are working on a handheld tuner that I can swap back and forth if I have to take it in. Thank you for all the input.

#10 ·
Hi!. I have a 2019 N-Line manual, that I've had for 2 months and 2000 miles. I bought an Takeda intake from aFe, utilizing an aFe dry cone filter. They advertise a 10-12 HP bump, and have dyno reports to back it up. I've used these folks before fir other "tuning" mods to cars,m and their products seem to work, as advertised. Since I've installed the intake, I can notice an increase in 3rd and 4th gear "pull"as I fully accelerate. I believe that it is worth it. And, right now, it is one of the few "easy" mods that are available.

#18 ·
Ok so I got my intake and I was removing the stock unit and the part that is attached to the turbo inlet won’t come off. I know they can get stuck over time but it is new. I will say that I tried to do it with a hot engine and metal expands when it’s hot so I’m wondering if I try when it’s cold if it will come off easier, especially if it’s cold out. Any thoughts?

#20 ·
Intake installed. I finally got the coupling off but it took some work. Sounds great, looks great, more intake and turbo sound as well as better response and pull in 3rd and 4th gear.
By any change did you have to remove the bumber to install that intake? I say that because the inflow is from the front grill like the Big gulp intake system which requires bumber removal.

#26 · (Edited)
For the most part, CARB certification is just an additional fee on something otherwise designed to be street-legal. Most companies do develop parts to be CARB compliant, because California (ostensibly the state I LIVE IN) has a ton of sales potential; after all, this crowded place houses over 12% of the US population alone and along with Texas, the country's largest state economy. Being a big state full of tech cash, and all. In fact, California and TEXAS, both, have a larger GDP than the entirety of many countries. Including Canada.

For those that feel that the intake, like the internet, is "just a [series of] tube(s)", the entirety of powertrain design is such that it considers the whole. Like it or not, adding an intake is modifying the function of the powertrain. Be it beneficial or not.

As a note, being CARB Compliant is also the easiest way to slap "50 State Legal" on your parts.

Let's not forget, that California isn't the ONLY state in this country that has emissions testing. And some states have annual INSPECTIONS; a thing California DOES NOT have. So let's keep the hate spam to ourselves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.