Downpipe **** - read before you do one - Hyundai Elantra GT Turbo & Elantra GT N Performance Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Arrow Downpipe **** - read before you do one

I am getting my mid-pipe installed and the mechanic ran into all kinds of issues. There are a ton of heat shields and crap that needs to come off in order to begin the removal of the stock downpipe.
Once that was all done, some of the bolts are almost impossible to get at which cause even more issues. But, the straw that broke the camel's back the bolts coming off the turbo itself. They are made of some weird metal and they began stripping and causing all kinds of issues.
The shop even went to a nearby shop who specializes in this sort of thing and said the downpipe on our cars is a day-long job and not 2-3 hours as I was led to believe. I don't really blame my guy as they do tones of downpipes but being my car was a 2019 and these new bolts were not expected to be dealt with, they are now having to resort to drilling them out. We now know why my downpipe came with new nuts and bolts I guess.

Drilling out each bolt takes about an hour apiece, this is going to be one expensive fricken downpipe. So anyone out there who has had better success than me, please post. Any secrets regarding those new bolts and their removal, please share.

I am still looking forward to finally getting back my car, but since the shop where I took my car in moving, it will be a few days until they are set back up to complete the work. Talk about the perfect storm....

I'll keep you all posted.
miluardo likes this.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 11:12 AM

Garage
Wow, this is not the story I expected to hear. **** that really sucks.

It's unfortunate you have to foot the bill for this, finding out after the fact but that's the nature of the beast I suppose.

Hope this works out well, and is worth it in the end.
iammarkus likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:29 AM

Garage
Weird, I know it was an awful job for me to do with one of my technicians, but it wasn't that awful. There was just a lot of PB Blaster and a very hot Turbo. Bolts came off and went on with almost no issues. Only issue we ran into was the lower bolt had no space to fit a socket, so we had to use a wrench that had a quarter turn of room. I wish you all the best, and it'll sound sick. Trust me.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE: They had to drill out the bolts on the turbo and now are having to rethread then hopefully have everything put back together tomorrow. The needed special drill bits, as well as nothing in the shop, would touch them. It must be somerthing on the Canadian versions? Either way, it will be expensive but still worth it as the downpipe will give more HP since I have a tune already. Also, that sound with no resonator or cats, look out!!!!
I will update you all as soon as it's all back and working and if weather permits, a sound clip.

Pray for me LOL!!!
miluardo likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE: The downpipe is done, the sound is incredible. I will have more info so along with cold start and sound clips once the weather cooperates.
miluardo likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 05:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammarkus View Post
UPDATE: The downpipe is done, the sound is incredible. I will have more info so along with cold start and sound clips once the weather cooperates.
Heck yeah!!

....how much was the bill? :/
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammarkus View Post

Sound bahhh (lol) performance man performance!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

I was able to get a sound clip. I didn't rev it too hard as the engine was not fully warmed up. It sounds amazing under load and gives off burbles and pops.

I am very pleased with it. I feel a bit more performance, less hesitation, and quicker turbo. I will do a 0-60 run as soon as weather permits and post the results.
miluardo and treybrad like this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 12:32 PM

Garage
That sounds so good man.

Do you get any drone while driving?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

None at all. It actually only gets loud when the revs are up and you get on it. Thanks!!!
miluardo likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page