OEM Rear Sway Bar Options - Hyundai Elantra GT Turbo & Elantra GT N Performance Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By niccuany
  • 1 Post By Lester

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

OEM Rear Sway Bar Options

Hi all,

Picking up a 2018 GTS in a couple days so I'm just trying to do some research ahead of time. It sounds like some of you have upgraded your rear sway bars and coming from a history of driving Civics, this is typically the first mod that I go with. What are the best OEM options here for this? From what I am reading it is the 19mm RSB from the Veloster N. Will that work well in conjunction with the stock front sway bar or is it better to go with the 17mm GT N-line bar? I know there are some aftermarket options but I'm hoping to stay OEM to avoid any issues with clanking, endlinks, etc.

Thanks!
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 07:54 AM

This is what I have, and I know a few others have. Works great! No noise from anything.

https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/gen...510-k9200.html
kepelus likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Glad to hear it! Thank you for the exact part #, looks like I'll be able to get a bit of modding in before the winter sets in

Out of curiosity, is there anything else that others have found to be good 'bang for buck' as far as performance suspension-wise?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 10:23 AM

Yeah no problem!
I would say intake/exhaust is probably best/easiest bang for buck. An upgraded front mount intercooler I hear makes a big difference, but not sure I want to go that way yet. And then a tune with do wonders, but again not sure I want that myself.
But intake is easy to instal and put back to factory if needed. SXTH Element or AFE have great options.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 10:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepelus View Post
Glad to hear it! Thank you for the exact part #, looks like I'll be able to get a bit of modding in before the winter sets in

Out of curiosity, is there anything else that others have found to be good 'bang for buck' as far as performance suspension-wise?
A tune is definitely going to be the best bang for your buck. The only reason I haven't done it is that I commute 100km a day in Toronto traffic. So basically I get no gas mileage and don't want to just feed my wallet into the gas tank.

Judging from the Elantra Sport Sedan's experience(which is where all the aftermarket parts have been tested for the most part) -- the best things you can do for power are:

Downpipe + Catback exhaust
Highflow intake
Tune for high octane(You'll need to use colder spark plugs and they recommend a OCC usually. Some want you to upgrade your boost solenoid and BPV/BOV)

That should net you close to 80 more horsepower and likely over 100ftlbs of torque --- more evenly throughout the band.

I have an N-Line and find I don't need stiffer suspension or changes to the sway bars, but likely on the GTS you'd want to do those as well.

Costwise you're probably looking at like at like 3-5k CDN for all those mods. Which at that point you might as well have bought a car with an LSD. Though it would be super dope.

If you're not running a really good summer tire I bet you get a lot more performance from buying some Pilot Sports than you would spending that same amount of money on engine or exhaust components. The N-Line in Canada comes with Hankooks and they slip like crazy at WOT.

Last edited by miluardo; 10-18-2019 at 11:01 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 04:37 PM

22mm Aftermarket RSB

This is the link to the 22mm aftermarket bar:

https://www.sxthelement.com/Hyundai-...ion-s/1840.htm

It's $189 and definitely reduces front wheel spinning in tight corners. I don't notice a significant difference in normal ride quality, but I really notice it when autocrossing. I got a good idea of the stiffness when I jacked up the front wheel and the rear wheel rose up by almost the same amount.

I actually had the dealer install it in case there was an issue, but he only noted that it voided the warranty on the rear suspension components. That's fair, as the aftermarket sway bar did break the mounts in the front on my Miata.

If you're thinking about ever autocrossing your car, this is an allowable modification in the base class (H Street). Some of the other sugestions in this thread will bump you into a class in which this car will not be competitive.
miluardo likes this.

Last edited by Lester; 10-18-2019 at 04:40 PM. Reason: cited wrong autox class

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page