16in wheels - Hyundai Elantra GT Turbo & Elantra GT N Performance Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

16in wheels

Hello,

New owner of a 2018 Elantra GT Sport with Tech package. I'm thinking of getting some snow tires for it along with a smaller wheel (18in is nice, but it's tires are expensive and the roads here are horrible in the winter with lots of potholes). Would a 16in wheel work mount on the car? I know the spare is a 16in, so I'm hoping it'll fit. Thoughts?
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 05:11 PM

So I don't know for sure on the fitment on our cars but from searching a lot for info, the 16" wheels from a newer base Elantra fit fine on the Elantra Sport sedan. I suspect at least in regards to the brakes, offset, etc they are the same but I am not positive on that. Hopefully someone else can chime in and confirm.

For what it's worth, I just went to the Discount Tire website to see if I could choose 16" wheels for my car and there were some options from relatively cheep steelies to nicer looking ones.
[email protected] likes this.

Last edited by smithe68; 03-30-2018 at 05:20 PM. Reason: More info
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 08:35 AM

Hello,

I talked to a Hyundai service and parts manager a few days ago as i was looking for the same thing. The 16in wont fit on the GT Sport Hatchback as the disc brakes are larger and the fitment wont work for steel winter rims, they are just too small. The size down would have to be a 225/45R17 to keep the same diameters and not mess up the driveline. Hope this helps.
[email protected] likes this.

Greg
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 09:12 AM

Update. went to a local long time place in Toronto called Steelcase Tires in Markham, they fitted 16 inch steel wheels with no clearance issues and winter tires for the upcoming season 205/55R16 Pirelli Ice Zero FR. Hyundai is full of **** on this in order to sell 17 and 18. The cost was $1100 tires and wheels all in.
miluardo likes this.

Greg
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the clarification, not surprised to hear that fitment wasn't an issue. This is going to save owners a lot of money for their winter setup.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmalfara View Post
Update. went to a local long time place in Toronto called Steelcase Tires in Markham, they fitted 16 inch steel wheels with no clearance issues and winter tires for the upcoming season 205/55R16 Pirelli Ice Zero FR. Hyundai is full of **** on this in order to sell 17 and 18. The cost was $1100 tires and wheels all in.
I have seen cases on the elantra sport forum where people purchased 16" wheels and had clearance issues or extremely tight clearance. I think it is highly dependent on the specific wheel design and offset. Yes, there are definitely 16" wheels that will work, but not all 16" wheels will fit. If buying used through CL or buying on-line, I'd stick with 17" for a winter set.

$1100 buys a nice set of 17" OEM take-offs and nice winter tires. Paying that much to roll around on steelies without TPMS doesn't seem like a great value.
For comparison, I purchased:
- 4 OEM TPMS sensors (take-offs from a 2018) on ebay for $35 shipped
- 4 OEM 2017 Hyundai 17" rims (take-offs from a 2017) locally through CL for $275
- 4 brand new Michelin X-ICE winter tires from tirerack for $670
- mounting/balancing was another $100
Total: $1,080 for a nice winter set that looks great.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 12:21 PM

to bobdod04

TPMS system is not offered on the GT Sport model in Canada, no issues there.

Agreed on the 16 inch fitment which is why i went to the shop and put on the steelies to check spin etc...no issues.

was the $1080 in USD or Canadian dollars.....?

Greg
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
to bobdod04

TPMS system is not offered on the GT Sport model in Canada, no issues there.

Agreed on the 16 inch fitment which is why i went to the shop and put on the steelies to check spin etc...no issues.

was the $1080 in USD or Canadian dollars.....?
This was USD. I am in Pennsylvania. Odd that Canada doesn't get TPMS, but nice that you don't have to deal with it. I have a love/hate relationship with this system. I like the idea of it, but at some point it fails and you are stuck with a warning/idiot light unless you spend money replacing the sensors. Its a shame that the sensors are not serviceable and when the battery dies, they need to be replaced. On my 4Runner I did some re-wiring work to disable the warning light because I was tired at looking at it after the TPMS sensor batteries died. Unfortunately these are typically sealed units and you cannot just replace a battery.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 09:34 AM

for my Toronto, Ontario GT owners

https://steelcasetires.ca/

Talk to anyone and go for the winters if you need. like i said, i went, they put them on spin freely no issues for the 16 in steelies.

i went with the Pirelli Ice Zero FR - great reviews

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/...et/ice-zero-fr

Greg
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 11:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
for my Toronto, Ontario GT owners

https://steelcasetires.ca/

Talk to anyone and go for the winters if you need. like i said, i went, they put them on spin freely no issues for the 16 in steelies.

i went with the Pirelli Ice Zero FR - great reviews

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/...et/ice-zero-fr
Do you know just how much clearance there is between the caliber and the wheel? I’ve seen steel wheels “clear” the brakes under no load, but actually hit under braking and cornering. Steelies, especially crappy ones flex quite a bit.

2019 N Line in Space Black
Power adders in the works

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page