Where are all the GT N lines? - Hyundai Elantra GT Turbo & Elantra GT N Performance Forum
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 7
Where are all the GT N lines?

There are currently less than 100 Elantra GT N lines in the entire US and only one in my state (Calif). I am in the market for a "warm hatch" and yesterday I drove 225 miles (round trip) to see and test drive this one example. I like the car, but it's not the right color and the dealer gave me a line of BS about it being a "special production item" and each dealer is allocated only two this year. Everyone who knows anything knows the N is a direct replacement for the 2018 GTS, of which there are only 6 remaining examples left within 250 miles of my home. My question is, for those of you who have more experience with Hyundai than I, what the **** kind of a product roll-out is this where they deplete stock on the old model without filling the pipeline for the new one and then refuse to let customers do a factory order? I don't understand how Hyundai expects to sell any of these things if none of their dealers have inventory!
paris1 is offline  
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 10:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
There are currently less than 100 Elantra GT N lines in the entire US and only one in my state (Calif). I am in the market for a "warm hatch" and yesterday I drove 225 miles (round trip) to see and test drive this one example. I like the car, but it's not the right color and the dealer gave me a line of BS about it being a "special production item" and each dealer is allocated only two this year. Everyone who knows anything knows the N is a direct replacement for the 2018 GTS, of which there are only 6 remaining examples left within 250 miles of my home. My question is, for those of you who have more experience with Hyundai than I, what the **** kind of a product roll-out is this where they deplete stock on the old model without filling the pipeline for the new one and then refuse to let customers do a factory order? I don't understand how Hyundai expects to sell any of these things if none of their dealers have inventory![IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]


I was at Ontario California Hyundai today for warranty navigation system repair. I walked into the showroom while waiting and the sales vultures descended on me. They looked crossed eyed at me when I asked if the had an N line Elantra GT. They started yapping about the Veloster, I stopped them and said, no the 2019 N Line Elantra GT. They had no idea what I was talking about. Not a lot of 2018 GTS were sold, probably will be the same for the N line. Hyundai probably just don't care about a proper pipeline on this one.
dac21 is offline  
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by dac21 View Post
I was at Ontario California Hyundai today for warranty navigation system repair. I walked into the showroom while waiting and the sales vultures descended on me. They looked crossed eyed at me when I asked if the had an N line Elantra GT. They started yapping about the Veloster, I stopped them and said, no the 2019 N Line Elantra GT. They had no idea what I was talking about. Not a lot of 2018 GTS were sold, probably will be the same for the N line. Hyundai probably just don't care about a proper pipeline on this one.
This is not a car that hyundai is looking to sell. Its imported, which is expensive, and the profit margin is not good. The N-line GT is mostly a marketing exercise to drum up the brand and stretch the marketing impact of the "N" brand for the company as a whole. Hyundai dealers want to sell higher price USA manufactured SUVs, not $20k hatches imported from Korea. There is no surprise here.
bobdod04 is offline  
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 11:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 40
This new trim will remain a low volume, niche product so its never going to be properly supported by a dealer network. If its something that you are seriously interested in your are likely going to have to travel out of state or have one sent over to you. I didn't realize they also weren't taking factory orders.
Jericho is offline  
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 7
This is pretty much what I figured. 6 years ago the I was in the market for the same type of vehicle (before purchasing my current 2013 Mazda CX-5), I briefly considered the last gen Elantra GT and noticed then how skinny dealer inventories were of this and other Korean sourced product. Apparently nothing's changed as they continue to relentlessly push their US manufactured CUVs while being content to deal a few Velosters and base Elantra GTs on the side. Shame as, coming from outside the Hyundai family, I felt the GT N line was a really nice car at a decent price. So after speaking with Hyundai Customer Service and my local dealer and realizing neither of them even knew the car existed or could provide any information whatsoever on availability, I've decided to move on and will be purchasing a left-over 2018 Mazda3 GT hatch. They are discounting them heavily right now in order to make space for the 4th gen 3 (which, unfortunately, I don't care for!) and I'm looking forward to escaping the SUV trap, in spite of the fact that the CX-5 has been a good vehicle.
paris1 is offline  
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 10:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 30
The N-line is essentially a 2018 Elantra GT Sport. Why not find a leftover and buy it cheap?
jetrep is online now  
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetrep View Post
The N-line is essentially a 2018 Elantra GT Sport. Why not find a leftover and buy it cheap?
"Essentially" yes, but the devil is often in the details and, aside from the better looking wheels, I was hoping the tweaks they made to the drivetrain and suspension would make it a more refined car than the GTS. I guess we won't know until someone in journalism land snags wone for a road test. Certainly my 15 minute spin around the block didn't tell me much. As for settling for a leftover GTS, as I said in my OP, there are only half a dozen left withing 250 miles of my home and they are all in "non-colors" (white, silver, black grey), which just doesn't cut it. Ironically, it looks like I'm going to end up with a Machine Grey Mazda 3, partly because its the only color (non-color!) that to my eye looks correct with the dark silver wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the-2018-mazda-3-hatchback.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	649  
paris1 is offline  
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 08:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
"Essentially" yes, but the devil is often in the details and, aside from the better looking wheels, I was hoping the tweaks they made to the drivetrain and suspension would make it a more refined car than the GTS. I guess we won't know until someone in journalism land snags wone for a road test. Certainly my 15 minute spin around the block didn't tell me much. As for settling for a leftover GTS, as I said in my OP, there are only half a dozen left withing 250 miles of my home and they are all in "non-colors" (white, silver, black grey), which just doesn't cut it. Ironically, it looks like I'm going to end up with a Machine Grey Mazda 3, partly because its the only color (non-color!) that to my eye looks correct with the dark silver wheels.
1. The GTS is drives great. NVH is very low, the ride is firm, but comfortable. I've put 9k miles on mine and have no issue with it. Its way more comfortable than my Mini was.
2. why on earth would you trust a manufacturer funded journosaur to tell you how the car drives? Go drive one and make up your own mind. It sounds like you just want a grey mazda 3 or a used 3 series off-lease.

stop trolling dude. The GTS and the GT N-line are both great cars and a great value. Dealers will deal on these cars too, so you can get a great deal. FYI - the new Mazda 3 doesn't have independent rear suspension...so good luck with that "refinement" in your grey mazda.
bobdod04 is offline  
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 04:25 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: GTA
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
"Essentially" yes, but the devil is often in the details and, aside from the better looking wheels, I was hoping the tweaks they made to the drivetrain and suspension would make it a more refined car than the GTS. I guess we won't know until someone in journalism land snags wone for a road test. Certainly my 15 minute spin around the block didn't tell me much. As for settling for a leftover GTS, as I said in my OP, there are only half a dozen left withing 250 miles of my home and they are all in "non-colors" (white, silver, black grey), which just doesn't cut it. Ironically, it looks like I'm going to end up with a Machine Grey Mazda 3, partly because its the only color (non-color!) that to my eye looks correct with the dark silver wheels.
What fockind details???? Stupid North Americans removed 2 safety features and one convenience from GT Sport Ultimate and called it N focking BS Line.
I saved $$$ all year, prized GT Sport Ultimate (read: fully loaded, most expensive Elantra GT) everywhere (even though everybody was looking at me like I am 'slow'? Elantra? Blah..) and what happened??
Instead of getting GT with little make up called N Line I got slap in the face from NA Hyundai. Instead of giving us MORE, they REMOVED 3 things. Well, Hyundai got middle finger from me and I will be most likely back to Honda; need more money though.
If OP can find GT fully loaded 2018 model, get it and do not ask for price. That is perfect little car fully loaded with tech and other stuff. I should buy it last year but I do not like to pay to be guinea pig for car manufacturers so never buy first year models...
And this noting has to do with Hyundai itself; they make great cars (look for i30) but North Americans confirm they are the most dumbest people on the planet.
maybehyundai is offline  
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 09:45 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
I'm new to the forum, but I recently purchased a 2019 Elantra GT N Line with 6 speed manual. I've had it a few weeks, and it's awesome! I don't expect to see many of these in the Houston area, which only adds to the appeal for me.
jngalt is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome