Loss of Power and Acceleration on 2019 Hyundai Elantra GT N Line Turbo - Hyundai Elantra GT Turbo & Elantra GT N Performance Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Loss of Power and Acceleration on 2019 Hyundai Elantra GT N Line Turbo

I purchased the 2019 Hyundai Elantra GT N Line turbo / automatic...car new in August 2019 and today Oct 16th I took car in for oil change have 3500 miles on it. I left and everything was fine...drove highway speeds 70 mph using cruise control for 2 hrs. On return trip I tried to pass a semi and I had no power ..no acceleration.. rpms went up a little but no full acceleration/no power ... I was able to still drive .. but could not accelerate/ no power ... felt like the turbo had gone out. Took to dealership that I had gotten the oil change earlier that morning..didnt think it had anything to do with oil change .. they looked at it for about 3 hours .. they checked it for issue/fault codes found that it had several misfires.. So they swapped 2 of the ignition coils around and 2 of the plugs ..until they had no fault codes ..( but prior to them doing that I wanted them to keep car running so they could test drive , but a service advisor turned it off & the issue I had went away) also I noticed the exhaust sound ..sounded rough .. not smooth as in previous days/ months ) I picked up vechicle and all they had done was swap 2 ignition coils and 2 spark plugs .... they did not replace with new ignition coils or spark plugs ... Does any one know if there could be any other reasons for what had happened.... please advise ... I'm concerned that they just patched the issue ...& didnt fix the issue since they acted like they didnt really know what had caused the problem.... Thanks
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 09:42 PM

Garage
DCT or manual? If it's the DCT then it could be the DCT was misbehaving (too high a gear for the power given) and causing your engine to knock/misfire. If it's the manual, no idea and I don't have any technical suggestions *but* if you live close to another dealership, but if you left and the issue persists you might consider taking it to a different dealership's service department instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON66 View Post
I purchased the 2019 Hyundai Elantra GT N Line turbo / automatic...car new in August 2019 and today Oct 16th I took car in for oil change have 3500 miles on it. I left and everything was fine...drove highway speeds 70 mph using cruise control for 2 hrs. On return trip I tried to pass a semi and I had no power ..no acceleration.. rpms went up a little but no full acceleration/no power ... I was able to still drive .. but could not accelerate/ no power ... felt like the turbo had gone out. Took to dealership that I had gotten the oil change earlier that morning..didnt think it had anything to do with oil change .. they looked at it for about 3 hours .. they checked it for issue/fault codes found that it had several misfires.. So they swapped 2 of the ignition coils around and 2 of the plugs ..until they had no fault codes ..( but prior to them doing that I wanted them to keep car running so they could test drive , but a service advisor turned it off & the issue I had went away) also I noticed the exhaust sound ..sounded rough .. not smooth as in previous days/ months ) I picked up vechicle and all they had done was swap 2 ignition coils and 2 spark plugs .... they did not replace with new ignition coils or spark plugs ... Does any one know if there could be any other reasons for what had happened.... please advise ... I'm concerned that they just patched the issue ...& didnt fix the issue since they acted like they didnt really know what had caused the problem.... Thanks
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 10:09 AM

Garage
If the dealership that did your oil change found that it was actually misfiring you should be taking in for warranty ASAP. There are a large number of possible things that could cause that to happen, and it's impossible to diagnose without OBD readouts, logs, testing.

Also, if you were passing a semi going 70mph(which I assume is like 110/120km/h) the car doesn't have a lot of acceleration. Like this car feels quick off the line because of the twinscroll and the small turbo, but if you're doing over 100km/h there's not much power left in it.. especially if you didn't gear down to get your RPMS up to like 4.5-5k.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by miluardo View Post
Also, if you were passing a semi going 70mph(which I assume is like 110/120km/h) the car doesn't have a lot of acceleration. Like this car feels quick off the line because of the twinscroll and the small turbo, but if you're doing over 100km/h there's not much power left in it.. especially if you didn't gear down to get your RPMS up to like 4.5-5k.
To your point, if the OP didn't downshift at all and was headed up an incline at really low rpms in 6th gear and then floored it, it might even be possible that the engine was lugging and misfired as a result.

I don't know if the DCT will prevent lugging by downshifting regardless of the driver intended gear, but it really should. There's a lot to driving a car with manual transmission that don't change just because you remove the clutch that many DCT drivers simply might not know...
miluardo likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalculonsTalent View Post
To your point, if the OP didn't downshift at all and was headed up an incline at really low rpms in 6th gear and then floored it, it might even be possible that the engine was lugging and misfired as a result.

I don't know if the DCT will prevent lugging by downshifting regardless of the driver intended gear, but it really should. There's a lot to driving a car with manual transmission that don't change just because you remove the clutch that many DCT drivers simply might not know...

Yep, agreed.

I actually got the downshift indicator last night for the first time in my life. I was going up a hill in 6th on the highway and hadn't shifted into 5th yet(I actually shifted into 4th as I was planning on accelerating). It was neat to finally see that. Also.. I got probably the loudest exhaust pop I've had when I dropped the clutch into 4th --- which was super satisfying lol.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Latest Update: My car is an automatic.. seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.. The car can still accelerate even at 60 to 70 mph ... but the other day ...there was no power at all .. hit the gas pedal and no acceleration at all ... I just spoke to the dealership service manager this morning ... he stated that hyundai is aware of an issue with the ignition coils ... and they had been told by hyundai to swap ignition coils ...( move them ) first .. hyundai corp is working on a fix he said .. I will be taking it back in this Monday Oct 21st... I will update my post once I hear back ... thanks Ron
miluardo likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 02:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by miluardo View Post
I actually got the downshift indicator last night for the first time in my life. I was going up a hill in 6th on the highway and hadn't shifted into 5th yet(I actually shifted into 4th as I was planning on accelerating). It was neat to finally see that. Also.. I got probably the loudest exhaust pop I've had when I dropped the clutch into 4th --- which was super satisfying lol.
I want to abuse my car just to see that indicator.
miluardo likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 02:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RON66 View Post
Latest Update: My car is an automatic.. seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.. The car can still accelerate even at 60 to 70 mph ... but the other day ...there was no power at all .. hit the gas pedal and no acceleration at all ... I just spoke to the dealership service manager this morning ... he stated that hyundai is aware of an issue with the ignition coils ... and they had been told by hyundai to swap ignition coils ...( move them ) first .. hyundai corp is working on a fix he said .. I will be taking it back in this Monday Oct 21st... I will update my post once I hear back ... thanks Ron
This is super interesting! Please do keep us posted because there have been two times I can think of where the engine seemed to not give me anything for a 1/4 to 1/2 a second despite the gear/rpms I was in ...both instances I was at 2750ish rpm and just assumed I should have been in a lower gear. I just chalked it up to not being used to turbos, and I'm only at 1300mi.

Good luck!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalculonsTalent View Post
This is super interesting! Please do keep us posted because there have been two times I can think of where the engine seemed to not give me anything for a 1/4 to 1/2 a second despite the gear/rpms I was in ...both instances I was at 2750ish rpm and just assumed I should have been in a lower gear. I just chalked it up to not being used to turbos, and I'm only at 1300mi.

Good luck!
I think everyone should get one of those Bluetooth ODB2 readers and a simple ECU scan app, some are even free. That way you can always check for errors and even clear them if need be. Paid off for me.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Iammarkus .... placed an order for this item
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191020-092617_Amazon Shopping_1571578048935.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	542.9 KB
ID:	1031  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page