Heated Steering Wheel - Page 2 - Hyundai Elantra GT Turbo & Elantra GT N Performance Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the late response, this forum doesn't sent me notifications and I forget where I post.

I've kind of given up on it now. I'm a little reluctant to tear up a perfectly working 2018 car and possibly messing it up for the small benefit of the heated wheel. This harness is a little harder to get to than other parts of the car.

If I see another "go-getter" that has made a post on how to do it easily I might look into trying it.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalSport View Post
Sorry for the late response, this forum doesn't sent me notifications and I forget where I post.

I've kind of given up on it now. I'm a little reluctant to tear up a perfectly working 2018 car and possibly messing it up for the small benefit of the heated wheel. This harness is a little harder to get to than other parts of the car.

If I see another "go-getter" that has made a post on how to do it easily I might look into trying it.

Is there even confirmation that there are heating elements in the steering wheel?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac21 View Post
Is there even confirmation that there are heating elements in the steering wheel?
The Canadian market GT has an optional heated steering wheel. So the functionality exists, but to get to work for a US GT, you would need to:
1. Obtain the Canada market part number for the heated steering wheel and source it.
2. Obtain the Canada market part number for the switch that controls the heated wheel function and source it.
3. Determine if the existing wiring harness in the US market GT includes the plugs for the heated wheel and control switch. If the harness is already set up for it, you would install the new wheel and switch, and be good to go. If the harness does not include plugs for the wheel and switch, than you would need to tie in to another power source for the wheel's heating element and custom wire the switch to make it work.

bottom line is that it is generally doable, but at this point, I have not been able to get a hold of the Canadian part numbers for the heated wheel and switch, so cannot try buying them. If I had the part numbers and could source them for relatively low cost, I would give it a shot. Even if the existing harness doesn't accommodate these on the US cars, the wiring to make it work would be pretty simple to rig up.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 03:18 AM

I never understood why dealers don't offer these upgrades as they don't void warranty (unless i'm wrong) and have a decent volume of buyers
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdod04 View Post
Quote:
The Canadian market GT has an optional heated steering wheel. So the functionality exists, but to get to work for a US GT, you would need to:
1. Obtain the Canada market part number for the heated steering wheel and source it.
2. Obtain the Canada market part number for the switch that controls the heated wheel function and source it.
3. Determine if the existing wiring harness in the US market GT includes the plugs for the heated wheel and control switch. If the harness is already set up for it, you would install the new wheel and switch, and be good to go. If the harness does not include plugs for the wheel and switch, than you would need to tie in to another power source for the wheel's heating element and custom wire the switch to make it work.

bottom line is that it is generally doable, but at this point, I have not been able to get a hold of the Canadian part numbers for the heated wheel and switch, so cannot try buying them. If I had the part numbers and could source them for relatively low cost, I would give it a shot. Even if the existing harness doesn't accommodate these on the US cars, the wiring to make it work would be pretty simple to rig up.
There was thought from someone that all US GT Sports had the same steering wheel as Canada, meaning the heating elements where there just needing the wiring harness and switch to get it working. I guess the thought was it was cheaper to just carry the one steering wheel / less chance of mixing them up during assembly. Not sure I bought that argument.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
There was thought from someone that all US GT Sports had the same steering wheel as Canada, meaning the heating elements where there just needing the wiring harness and switch to get it working. I guess the thought was it was cheaper to just carry the one steering wheel / less chance of mixing them up during assembly. Not sure I bought that argument.
The only way to check is to look at the part numbers. The US GT Sport w/ tech pkg wheel is part number 56100-G3830-UYC. I don't know what the Canadian market part number is, and I have not been able to find it online. Someone in Canada will need to go to their dealer and find out.
hyundaiguy likes this.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:01 PM

Shouldn't be hard to find out that Canadian part number (if there is any difference) by calling up the parts department a Canadian dealer.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 07:04 PM

Garage
I think I'm reviving a dead thread, but if someone has a Canadian GTS, and an American GTS, I could compare part numbers IF your'e willing to PM a VIN. The American Version does have a part number with a Heated Steering Wheel. PN: 56100-G3470-UYC / 56100-G3980-UYC (The UYC is the color code, it also comes in PTW) (56100-G3830-UYC does not have the heated element inside)

Please note that the main wiring (that runs under the console and behind the dash) comes in 5 different part numbers depending on what trim level and what features you have. Along with that trim piece that has the actual buttons. So if you have a car that doesn't have a heated steering wheel, you DO NOT have the wiring underneath the console for a heated wheel.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page