Heated Steering Wheel - Hyundai Elantra GT Turbo & Elantra GT N Performance Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Heated Steering Wheel

So I know there are some option differences between the Canadian version and USA version of this car even at the same trim level. For one, the top trim in Canada has red seat belts, white LED drls and a heated steering wheel.

I have the USA Sport Ultimate and IDK why we got the short end of the stick but here's the point:

I know for a lot of car makers they leave "extra" things in the car because it's easier to do so and cheaper to manufacture.
My theory is that my USA Sport Ultimate has a steering wheel with heating elements in it and a chassis harness that plugs into a blank next to the shifter (this is where I've seen the heated wheel button on Hyundai Canadas site, check the picture).

The question is, do any of you have instructions on how to take a part the dash and/or information on this? I'm fairly certain that this could be the case. My plan is to replace the blank switch with the heated wheel one (or that button assembly that goes around the shifter) and be able to activate the heating feature).

I also could be wrong and they might very well have distinguished the steering wheel part number whenever they made it. Since they were all made in Ulsan Korea I'm not sure how specific they were.

Anyone got any insight before I tear into my dash? Especially from any Canadian owners? A picture of the fuse box and any relevant information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sd.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	677  
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:56 AM

I too am very interested in this. My guess is that there is no heating element or harness though. Manufacturers have gotten really good at planning production runs to eliminate wasted costs like this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 08:47 AM

Assuming your steering wheel has a heating element is quite a leap. I would try to validate that theory before exploring the switch installation.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:40 PM

Often you can get these answers from the parts department at your local dealer from what I realized from both working in that environment, and then as a consumer asking questions. I suggest you do that first, either in person or over the phone.
You would be surprised at the information they're willing to disclose, its incredibly valuable and almost like having the diagrams to yourself.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:16 AM

I looked up parts diagrams for a 2018 Santa Fe in the US. They list different part numbers for heated vs unheated wheels. I wouldn't count on your wheel having a heating element.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetrep View Post
I looked up parts diagrams for a 2018 Santa Fe in the US. They list different part numbers for heated vs unheated wheels. I wouldn't count on your wheel having a heating element.
While I agree that the odds are in favor of not having the heating element, I'd also like to point out that the santa fe is built in the US, while the GTS is built in Korea. The parts suppliers will be different, so its not a certainty that they follow the same differentiation.

I tried looking at part numbers for canadian GTS, but could not find them on-line in the USA (could not find a canadian parts site that was workable for this). I think the best bet is to find the heated steering wheel part number and compare it to the USA GTS w/ tech steering wheel. If the numbers are the same, they will both have a heating element.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Hmm there are a lot of good insights on this. I haven't looked up the topic much but it would be a benefit to look into how auto makers have updated production run practices over the years. (I'm still stuck in the early 2000s )

I think my first bet would be to compare the heated wheel numbers. However as noted, if the harness isn't there too then that's also a no go.

I'll have to do some research into it and I do think the PN's are a good place to start. I'm kind of hoping that since they were all made in Korea (at least the ones we get in NA) that even with different production runs they are close enough that I would end up having the wiring and part. I think calling dealerships is next...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalSport View Post
Hmm there are a lot of good insights on this. I haven't looked up the topic much but it would be a benefit to look into how auto makers have updated production run practices over the years. (I'm still stuck in the early 2000s )

I think my first bet would be to compare the heated wheel numbers. However as noted, if the harness isn't there too then that's also a no go.

I'll have to do some research into it and I do think the PN's are a good place to start. I'm kind of hoping that since they were all made in Korea (at least the ones we get in NA) that even with different production runs they are close enough that I would end up having the wiring and part. I think calling dealerships is next...
Please keep us informed if you manage to get the part numbers for heated/standard steering wheels. I tried looking into this, but could not find this info definitively. Seems that there is such a scarcity of these cars in high trim level that the parts world hasn't bothered to enter them into any online databases that I can find, especially with heated steering wheel option being restricted only to Canada. The part number for the steering wheel in a GTS w/ Tech (highest trim in the USA) is 56100-G3830-UYC
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 12:09 PM

I usually advocate for buying older cars, 2-3 years old at most over entirely new vehicles and this is a prime reason why.
Automakers have far more reasons for including all they can during the last years of production, first production years will always offer the least.
Depending on who you are that won't be worth the trade off of buying new and being first.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyundaiguy View Post
I usually advocate for buying older cars, 2-3 years old at most over entirely new vehicles and this is a prime reason why.
Automakers have far more reasons for including all they can during the last years of production, first production years will always offer the least.
Depending on who you are that won't be worth the trade off of buying new and being first.
you are entirely wrong sir. It is a basic tenet of the auto business to "de-content" models as they age, in order to improve profitability of an established model. You can see this already with the new GT N-Line, which has lost some of the features that were included in the GT Sport (BSM and some others). You can see this trend for almost every model across most manufacturers. The marketing folks do a good job of spinning this though, but highlighting "new features" without mentioning the stuff that has been removed to make the overall package cheaper for the manufacturer. New models tend to have high feature content because they need to attract positive reviews from the press and attract buyers without relying on any kind of heritage or prestige.

Also, lets stay on topic here and focus on figuring out this heating steering wheel issue. Please keep commentary like this for other subforums here.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page