Trunk release with Keyfob not working - Hyundai Elantra GT Turbo & Elantra GT N Performance Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Trunk release with Keyfob not working

When using the Keyfob trunk release button all I get is a flash from the Turn Signal lights but no trunk lock release. Only manually depressing the physical botton on the Hatch will release the lock. Am I missing something or is it time for a Dealer visit?
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 02:49 PM

That button just unlocks the trunk to open while the rest of the car is still locked. The trunk doesn’t open by itself on these cars. When you close it again you will see another flash in decaying the car is locked.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 02:49 PM

Indicating*
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccuany View Post
That button just unlocks the trunk to open while the rest of the car is still locked. The trunk doesn’t open by itself on these cars. When you close it again you will see another flash in decaying the car is locked.
I guess this issue is way beyond my pay grade because I can manually open my trunk by depressing the trunk lid button whether the doors are locked or unlocked, and whether I hit the trunk unlock button on my remote or not it doesn't matter it opens. In summary as long as I have the proximity key with me the trunk opens by manually depressing the button regardless of any other scenario. That being the case I really have no idea why there is a trunk release button on the keyless remote. It doesn't trip the lock on the trunk, to me it does nothing other than flash the lights .???
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac21 View Post
I guess this issue is way beyond my pay grade because I can manually open my trunk by depressing the trunk lid button whether the doors are locked or unlocked, and whether I hit the trunk unlock button on my remote or not it doesn't matter it opens. In summary as long as I have the proximity key with me the trunk opens by manually depressing the button regardless of any other scenario. That being the case I really have no idea why there is a trunk release button on the keyless remote. It doesn't trip the lock on the trunk, to me it does nothing other than flash the lights .???
These key fobs are for other Hyundai vehicles. For example, my Santafe with the power hatch was opened by pressing that trunk button. So kind of confusing and perhaps they could have had a separate fob for us. Less confusing. I was worse when I first got the car I pressed the button and held it expecting the hatch to open for me LOL!!!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 12:20 PM

I agree - our new Elantra GT N Line keyfob behaves exactly as described here. Prior to this new car, we had a previous generation Elantra GT (2016) and that keyfob behaved the same too!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page