Wiper arm issue on GT Sport - Hyundai Elantra GT Turbo & Elantra GT N Performance Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Wiper arm issue on GT Sport

Hi all, new to the forum but got my GT Sport back in July. With the first snowfall the other day, I went to put my wipers up (to anyone in the south, this keeps them from freezing to the windshield), and noticed the driver's side wiper arm is rubbing up against the edge of the hood. Are my windshield wipers installed wrong or is this the same for everyone?
Be careful if you go to test it, the arm scraped a bit of paint off
Old 12-02-2018, 03:17 AM

Garage
I feel your pain. I think this is the ex-Audi designer's fault.

For the Elantra GT, you'll need to put the wipers in the service position before lifting the wipers up. You can do this by turning the car off and holding the wiper stock up into the mist position.

It seems to be a newer trend for some cars. I know Audi's and Volkswagen's have this issue as well.

I kinda wish they just committed to tucking the wipers under the hood more 'for aerodynamics' like the new Genesis's. There's definitely no way mistakenly lifting that.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:50 AM

Welcome to the forum Michael. Yes this problem is evident on every GT model, and its simply the result of poor design. Might be worthwhile to look into some sort of stripping to better protect the hood.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:01 AM

This is not a design flaw. The wiper arms sit lower in the space between the hood and the windshield to reduce noise while driving at speed. To put the wipers up, you just hold the wiper control stalk up for a few seconds after turning off the car. The wipers will move to the "service position", from which you can push them up from the windshield. you can do this without starting the car also by pushing the power button on/off without putting your foot on the brake pedal.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:40 AM

its not poor design it the european way and they did not change it..

Greg
Old 04-01-2019, 05:00 AM

European vehicles have always been a turn off for me. Heard too many horror stories and ever since have been buying Japanese. Even the Japanese got a bit bad over the years to the point Korean automakers are taking over. Korean for the win.