New to the forum, help with purchasing... - Hyundai Elantra GT Turbo & Elantra GT N Performance Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jetrep
  • 1 Post By hyundaiguy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

New to the forum, help with purchasing...

Hello everybody,
As the title suggests I just created my profile a few days ago. I have been trying to get out of my current car and purchase a 2018 EGTS. Besides actually selling my car, I have a dilemma regarding which car to purchase. Was hoping to get some help here.

There are 2 used EGTSs in my area, both have less than 10K miles on them and are on sale for under $21K. They are not certified used but the Carfax shows that the warranty it still good for 54 months or 60K miles. I am wondering what does this original factory warrant cover during that time period? I am under the impression that the 10yr/100K warranty is just powertrain, then what would that other warranty cover? I'm guessing its bumper to bumper. If this isn't the case, then should I just by new? There are 2 new EGTSs for sale around the same price, although they are over 300 miles away and are in 2 colors I'm not too fond of.

My question is: what is the better deal, traveling hundreds of miles to buy a new car w/ the new warranty in a color I'm not ecstatic about or purchasing a used car near me in a color I actually really like but without "America's best warranty"?
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:52 AM

I would definitely verify the particulars of the warranty as I know the original warranty does not entirely transfer. I wouldn't blindly trust the Carfax website.

If I was buying used I would be sure to get the exact color I want. Buying used I'm willing to compromise on the color somewhat for the right deal.

Traveling 300 miles to get the right car is no big deal. You get to drive home your new car. I've flown across the country multiple times to get the perfect car. I've never regretted it. If traveling long distance for a used car know what you're getting into. Make sure the deal is all spelled out in writing and get lots of high quality pictures so there are no surprises.
ElGallo likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! Turns out that the "New Car Warranty" of 5yr/60K remains in effect, and the powertrain warranty is reduced to this period from the original 10yr/100K. The New Car warranty also has some other things it covers but for shorter periods. All in all the only thing you miss out on by buying used is the crazy powertrain warranty.

Honestly, the used one that is closest to me is now cheaper than all the others and its in a color I really like. Once I'm able to get rid of my current car and assuming that one is still available, I'll probably end up with with a Symphony Air Silver EGTS.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:20 PM

I always said to everyone I know that Hyundai's crazy powertrain warranty is a form of marketing.
That way saying "we have the best warranty in the industry" immediately gets the eyeballs of every value driven buyer. These days there's more of them and Hyundai/Genesis is capitalizing on it.
ElGallo likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

It made sense that the 100K warranty is non-transferable. I mean I would really enjoy having that peace of mind but if the used car is still cheaper and maintains a powertrain warranty, thats really all that matters to me.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:30 PM

Hyundai probably realizes it will cost them more then with little benefit. Meanwhile here, as a new product. Its what helps to sell these especially to the growing value driven buyers out there.

I'm one of them.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page