Hyundai Elantra GT banner

2021 Elantra GT not coming to America?

18K views 55 replies 20 participants last post by  zooid 
#1 ·
Hey guys, new member here..was all set on purchasing a GTI the other day until i went and drove the Elantra GT N Line. Wow. I was so impressed. Just as good-if not better and 10k cheaper than the autobahn trim GTI!

I' have seen the new I30 facelift and presume the elantra GT N Line will get the same treatment. I really like it and am willing to wait for the 2021..but the dealer i am working with told me that Hyundai is discontinuing the elantra GT for America and there will not be a 2021 model.

Anybody have any info? Is this just a shady sales tactic? I need to figure this out b/c then i will scoop up one of the few remaining N lines before they disappear. Thanks !

#2 · (Edited)
I suspect this may be the case. I don't have insider information, just speculation and the fact that they tend to announce new model year Elantra GT and a few others like the sedan, and such, earlier than the rest of the lineup which commonly starts model year switchovers in August or so. Buuuuut here's my take on it:

-The US, classically, doesn't care for hatchbacks. And until somewhat recently, the default "car" is a 4 door sedan. They announced the Elantra N-Line (they are retiring the Sport moniker) AND it appears they are making a full-N, so we'll see.
-It kind of competes with another compact 5 door hatchback on the same lot, that can also be equipped similarly and for around the same price... it's called a Kona... and it's very much a volume seller in the US. Even has the same running gear
-It gets nearly zero marketing, and even journalists routinely forget the car exists when running comparisons.
-Powertrain engines were announced, and none of them looked right for the NA market. Particularly the mild-hybrid. Most powerful non-N is 1.5T with 160PS (157ish HP)
-Aftermarket support for these cars suck compared to even the Elantra Sport sedan, and the Veloster. Just not nearly as much out there. I practically had to beg a shop just to fabricate an A-pillar gauge pod.

- It's never been a volume seller in the US. Since North American Hyundai lumps all of it's nameplates together when putting together sales numbers, it's just part of "Elantra" sales in general and we can only guess. But if you look at any given dealership's inventory, they have Elantra, Kona, and Tucson (for example) stacked deep, but then only like.... 10 EGTs... and only one or two of those are even an N-Line, with one being a base model 6-speed and the other being a DCT Ultimate.

- Though we all wish Hyundai would change their mind, they decided that the inaugural N car would be the Veloster, and not the i30, which was designed for European taste anyhow. Interior materials in the EGT here are just a smidge nicer than you find in most of the sub-30K vehicles in their lineup, especially the Veloster.

-Frankly I've had a long day and I've run out of steam, but there were a few other reasons why I believe this to be the case, and my THEORY is that yes, they are dropping the EGT in the US for 2021.

The Kona N is imminent, as well as the 2021 Tucson which appears to have the 2.5T as an engine option. So there's your two "hot hatches". You may have to wait another month or three to see the Kona. Rumor mill says "July" for US release. And I have my fingers and toes crossed that it's their first AWD N car here. So if you like the N-Line that much, go for it. Just keep in mind that if you get the DCT model, the DRY 7DCT in the car has a torque limit around 275lb-ft. So you can modify it and you can definitely crank that little Gamma III engine like nobody's business, but if you want more power than that you'll need to get the 6-speed manual. The new N-DCT is an 8-speed WET DCT similar to VW's DSG. And thus can take a lot more power. Plus you may want the full N experience, not the half-way line.

* I could be wrong and the 2021 could come here

#3 ·
I suspect this may be the case. I don't have insider information, just speculation and the fact that they tend to announce new model year Elantra GT and a few others like the sedan, and such, earlier than the rest of the lineup which commonly starts model year switchovers in August or so. Buuuuut here's my take on it:

-The US, classically, doesn't care for hatchbacks. And until somewhat recently, the default "car" is a 4 door sedan. They announced the Elantra N-Line (they are retiring the Sport moniker) AND it appears they are making a full-N, so we'll see.
-It kind of competes with another compact 5 door hatchback on the same lot, that can also be equipped similarly and for around the same price... it's called a Kona... and it's very much a volume seller in the US. Even has the same running gear
-It gets nearly zero marketing, and even journalists routinely forget the car exists when running comparisons.
-Powertrain engines were announced, and none of them looked right for the NA market. Particularly the mild-hybrid. Most powerful non-N is 1.5T with 160PS (157ish HP)
-Aftermarket support for these cars suck compared to even the Elantra Sport sedan, and the Veloster. Just not nearly as much out there. I practically had to beg a shop just to fabricate an A-pillar gauge pod.

- It's never been a volume seller in the US. Since North American Hyundai lumps all of it's nameplates together when putting together sales numbers, it's just part of "Elantra" sales in general and we can only guess. But if you look at any given dealership's inventory, they have Elantra, Kona, and Tucson (for example) stacked deep, but then only like.... 10 EGTs... and only one or two of those are even an N-Line, with one being a base model 6-speed and the other being a DCT Ultimate.

- Though we all wish Hyundai would change their mind, they decided that the inaugural N car would be the Veloster, and not the i30, which was designed for European taste anyhow. Interior materials in the EGT here are just a smidge nicer than you find in most of the sub-30K vehicles in their lineup, especially the Veloster.

-Frankly I've had a long day and I've run out of steam, but there were a few other reasons why I believe this to be the case, and my THEORY is that yes, they are dropping the EGT in the US for 2021.

The Kona N is imminent, as well as the 2021 Tucson which appears to have the 2.5T as an engine option. So there's your two "hot hatches". You may have to wait another month or three to see the Kona. Rumor mill says "July" for US release. And I have my fingers and toes crossed that it's their first AWD N car here. So if you like the N-Line that much, go for it. Just keep in mind that if you get the DCT model, the DRY 7DCT in the car has a torque limit around 275lb-ft. So you can modify it and you can definitely crank that little Gamma III engine like nobody's business, but if you want more power than that you'll need to get the 6-speed manual. The new N-DCT is an 8-speed WET DCT similar to VW's DSG. And thus can take a lot more power. Plus you may want the full N experience, not the half-way line.

* I could be wrong and the 2021 could come here

Thanks for your response....i suspect you;re probably right. I did as much research as i possibly could online tonight and could not find a single press release or any credible information regarding a 2021 Elantra GT. For a car that is supposed to come out in late 2020, that is pretty suspect. I think the upcoming Kona N killed this car...now the big question- get into a 2020 GT N line now or wait for the full Kona N???

#4 ·
Update: Spoke to another dealer and they told me no definitive answer or decision has been made by Hyundai about the Elantra GT yet...which is prob not a good sign considering 2021 models should be rolling in the next few months.

I also emailed Hyundai customer care and was told " Hyundai Motor America has not announced any plans to discontinue the Elantra GT N Line at this time. You can stay up to date on all of the latest announcements regarding new Hyundai vehicles here: www.hyundainews.com."

So, who knows??? If anyone can find any concrete info, please let me know!!

#5 ·
We don't know if the car is returning in 2021 but you can be certain that the salesman doesn't know either and was trying to make a sale.

The EGT is a good car but to suggest it's just as good if not better than the GTI is a bit much. The EGT is certainly a worthy competitor and for the price the better choice for a lot of people. I test drove the GTI multiple times before deciding on the EGT. I decided if the EGT didn't do it for me I'd sell it and pick up the GTI. I've been happy with the EGT. It drives great and you get way more tech for the money. Superior warranty as well.

#6 · (Edited)
Yep. The vehicle is priced appropriately against the GTI. You've got 80% of a GTI for 80% of the GTI's price.

Though that comes down to personal preference. I shopped GTIs, and have driven multiple trims of 2016-2018 GTIs, with and without Performance Pack, and came to the conclusion that it wasn't the vehicle for -me-.We just weren't speaking the same language.

The Golf 1.8 TSI, on the other hand, I felt punched well above it's weight and I actually came away MORE impressed with it, than I did the GTI.

#9 ·
As I thought about what I wrote (and passed the 15 minute edit limit), I neglected the fact that the current COVID19 situation is having a significant effect on used vehicle pricing, and trade-in values. Double-checking some of the usual sites (KBB, Edmunds, etc) it looks like these vehicles also lost a bit of a value. I'm sure it will be all over the place for time to come, but, I wish I could have gone back and nixed my reference to used car values.

In general, it IS something to consider (ie: a Civic may be a more objectively expensive car, but also enjoys less depreciation on average, so the difference in cost may be a wash), but that's a whole another financial argument best left to professionals. I am not an accountant.

#10 ·
I recently had a brand new (27 miles on the odometer) Civic 5-door hatch with the 1.5T & CVT as a loaner from the dealer (our other car is a Honda). It drove pretty well and is quick (though I noticed it also has a decent amount of torque steer at times) but, god ****, that dash is just a fugly disaster - waay over-styled and disjointed looking + there was weird glare coming off some of the piano black areas (a trend which I dislike on any car) at times. My EGT is a lot nicer inside and I think looks far more refined. Ergonomically, Hyundai interiors are really quite good overall, at least against direct rivals such as Honda, Toyota & Mazda.

#11 ·
Tried to edit the above reply and it wouldn't let me so ignore that one in favor of this instead:

I recently had a brand new (27 miles on the odometer) Civic 5-door hatch with the 1.5T & CVT as a loaner from the dealer (our other car is a Honda). It drove pretty well and is quick (though I noticed it also has a decent amount of torque steer) but, god ****, that dash is just a fugly disaster - waay over-styled and disjointed to look at with little if any design continuity. The Honda steering wheel controls are also a joke - looks like the buttons were randomly dropped in place. There also was some odd glare coming off the piano black trim around the cluster at times. In comparison my EGT is nicer inside and looks far more refined. I was quite disappointed with that Civic as Honda used to be the among best in regards to interiors. No longer as ergonomically Hyundai interiors seem better overall IMO.

#15 · (Edited)
There was a bulletin sent off to Canadian dealers stating the Elantra GT (including N-line) is discontinued next year. Also, the veloster is going away as well to (Veloster N is staying)
Nothing from what I've seen is confirmed in US
Do you happened to have a link to the announcement, by chance?

Can check GoodCarsBadCars for easy-to-read aggregated sales charts.

Veloster: https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/hyundai-veloster-sales-figures/
Elantra: https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/hyundai-elantra-sales-figures/ NOTE: Keep in mind that Hyundai North America lumps ALL Elantra nameplate sales under "Elantra", and doesn't differentiate between sedan and GT.

I could understand why Canada would drop the standard Veloster model (kind of like VW is ONLY selling the MK8 Golf R and GTI here, not the standard model at all). They sell very very few of them up there. In the US, the Veloster enjoys pretty stable sales. 10-12K a year, which I find odd that the 2nd gen actually sells 1/3 the volume they once did despite being an overall better vehicle, and the DCT is better behaved. Though I admit to never having looked much less driven a 1G Veloster. The 2G, yes, but I chose my Elantra GT because it is the right size and because the Veloster didn't offer vented seats. I would dearly miss my frosty buns during the California Summer.

Also, many automakers are making the AWD trim of their vehicles standard, in Canada, when the US still gets 2WD options...

What cars don't have an AWD option, for traction performance or otherwise? The Veloster and Elantra GT
What car DOES have an AWD option, and is getting an N-Line and a Full N release with the '21 refresh, and is also about the same cost and size? The Kona.

My opinion still stands: The introduction of the Kona in 2018, was the final nail in the coffin for the Elantra GT. And by proxy, probably the Veloster too. The Kona sells, despite being a hatchback, because it's officially marketed as a "compact SUV". And also because the Kona actually GETS marketing and advertising. The Elantra GT? Never. Got a single blurb about getting an N-Line trim, and was Hyundai's placeholder until they could get more N vehicles out there to fill the lineup.

#17 ·
Welp. LOL.

I'm still a fan of the i30/EGT, but this brings it into even clearer view what the product strategy was a couple years back, that made the Veloster the inaugural N car in North America. Because they never intended to sell the EGT here past 2020, and the Veloster is a placeholder until the dedicated N cars come around (see: RM19), that may have stuck around if (US) sales warrant it. They plan these product cycles sometimes 4-6+ years in advance, especially Hyundai since they seem to enjoy refreshing and facelifting vehicles only 2-3 years into their cycle.

In interviews with Albert Biermann, he stated the Kona N was a borderline-skunkworks effort. They just tried it out anyhow and managed to make enough of a business case for it, to green light it's production. It totally makes sense, too: Kona is very popular and is a strong seller, and it's easier to take the stilts away from the "SUV" to slam it to the ground with plenty of potential suspension travel. Especially if you're thinking of potential adjustable suspension to make Comfort even MORE compliant. It also already has AWD, which will raise the potential performance limits, Fire-Breathing FWD Civic Type-R be damned. My understanding was that the Kona rear end COULD just "drop in" the rear of the i30, but that's added expense and engineering. Plus if they had issues with the differential's pumpkin size, they could potentially run into the same issue the early Focus RS did; of essentially burning up it's rear diff.

#23 ·
Yeah it seems that COVID19 had more productivity effect than H/K probably even expected. I anticipated hearing about the Kona N by now, but instead, it looks like they made '21 a carryover with a Night Edition add-on.

Some automakers do mid-year changes (like Mazda), but I don't think I recall H/K doing that sort of thing before and wouldn't really expect a 2020.5 Kona. But hey... 2020 has been a dumpsterfire of random bs, anything can happen!

#24 ·
Looks like the santa fe will receive the "N-Line" treatment as well (coming out end of year in Korea).
IMO, side profile looks so much better than the Kona's...just wish it had the twin turbo v6 from the stinger...

Attachments

#27 ·
Nope, I was also told that wasn't coming to the US. The main reason, Wagons and Hatches aren't what the people in the US buy. If you look at the market currently, and you look at other vehicles on the road, most of them are SUVs and CUVs. That is why Hyundai has the Venue, Kona, Tucson, Santa Fe, and the Palisade. Those are it's money makers, much like how Ford's Money Maker are their trucks.

I was crushed when the Sales guy told me that, since I was all ready to trade in for one of those G70 Wagons. They are also unfortunately dropping their 2.0T RWD 6spd manual in the G70.

#28 ·
Yup, as the world becomes more and more lazy with its driving routines, automatics flourish while the true car enthusiast manual transmission continue their decline, I am a hardcore manual fanatic myself and its so sad to see less and less standards being offered, its gradually becoming a treasure hunt to find brand new standard cars besides the subarus of course.

#29 ·
The manual purists are somewhat comical. The manual trans doesn't exist because it makes for the ultimate driving experience. It exists because back in the day automatics sucked. They shifted sluggishly, were less than predictable, and got worse fuel economy. Nowadays in most vehicles the automatics best the manuals in fuel economy. The manual is not superior like it once was. It makes sense that it's going away.

I'm not anti-manual. I think manuals are fun. I have an s2000 and the manual transmission in it is awesome.

#32 · (Edited)
Exeno
For one thing there's nothing wrong with that response, this discussion relates to another manual transmission option being potentially extinguished which sounds more and more like its gonna happen based on this thread and so that comment is completely relevant and besides no ones turning it into THAT discussion anyway, just sayin.

Russianbear, I do agree with you that its sad the manuals are being replaced, as a manual fan I feel the experience is much more personal in comparison to an automatic and its unfortunate that the G70's 6spd option is being removed despite all the youtube videos highlighting how great of an experience it was, its unfortunate.

#33 · (Edited)
As I suspected, and the release basically confirms what I've been saying all along; that the Kona and Venue (I never mentioned anything about the Venue, but eh) took the place of the Elantra GT in our market. The Kona has a leg-up by offering the AWD option the EGT can't have.

https://thekoreancarblog.com/2020/08/08/elantra-gt-n-line-discontinued-from-us-market/

https://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/releases/3101

As a follow-up anecdote: I like the Kona. But I chose the Elantra GT N-Line over the Kona, for 3 reasons:
1) EGT has the panoramic roof,
2) EGT has VENTILATED SEATS which aren't available on the Kona
3) EGT is more sleek and has cleaner sheetmetal; it's the sport compact, not the "compact SUV" the Kona is marketed as

The one thing I WISH the EGT got, was an AWD option. The Noble S1 that come stock on the DCT N-Lines, aren't that great. But even with better tires, the gearing and early-torque of the Gamma 1.6T just induces wheelspin far too easy; you really have to modulate the throttle to get a quick launch, a rolling start while keeping it locked in 1st, or (as I do) give it about half-throttle at launch, shift early into 2nd (around 10-15mph), then pin the throttle. It badly needed an LSD or the e-Diff of the Veloster.

Hyundai 2021 Model Year Changes

Below is a summary of changes to the Hyundai lineup for 2021 model year. This document will be updated regularly, creating a one-stop shop for the most up-to-date Hyundai vehicle lineup news. For regular product and news updates, please subscribe to Hyundai News Alerts. You can also visit HyundaiNews.com for the latest news on sales, pricing and technology. Visit the product pages at HyundaiNews.com for more complete information. The models included in this guide are:
2021 Elantra – All New
2021 Elantra Hybrid – All New
2021 Elantra N Line – New
2021 Sonata – Carryover
2021 Sonata Hybrid – Carryover
2021 Sonata N Line – New
2021 Accent – Carryover
2021 Veloster – Carryover
2021 Veloster N – Product Enhancement
2021 Ioniq – Carryover
2021 Venue – Carryover
2021 Kona – Carryover and adds Night Edition
2021 Kona Electric – Carryover
2021 Tucson – Carryover
2021 Santa Fe – Product enhancement
2021 Palisade – Carryover and adds Calligraphy trim
2021 Nexo – Carryover
Elantra GT – Discontinued from the lineup due to expanded SUV lineup that includes Venue and Kona.
Elantra GT N Line – Discontinued from the lineup and replaced with Elantra N Line that is being developed.
Hyundai Motor America is now providing three years of complimentary maintenance with the purchase or lease of a new Hyundai vehicle. The Hyundai Complimentary Maintenance program includes oil and filter changes plus tire rotation at normal factory-scheduled intervals for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.

#34 ·
https://www.motor1.com/news/438112/hyundai-elantra-gt-n-line-dead/amp/

"The Elantra's sales numbers (combined sedan and GT) went significantly down from 2018 to 2019 (200,415 versus 175,094), just in time when the Kona gained its momentum and the Venue entered the market..."

Umm...I wonder if they take any accountability for the horrible redesign of the elantra(2020). I am sure this weird and ugly design had a large role in the decrease in sales. Yet, Hyundai just assumes the drop in sales was due to SUV demand?

The new design language of putting angles everywhere and creases in doors...I personally hate it.

#35 ·
https://www.motor1.com/news/438112/hyundai-elantra-gt-n-line-dead/amp/

"The Elantra's sales numbers (combined sedan and GT) went significantly down from 2018 to 2019 (200,415 versus 175,094), just in time when the Kona gained its momentum and the Venue entered the market..."

Umm...I wonder if they take any accountability for the horrible redesign of the elantra(2020). I am sure this weird and ugly design had a large role in the decrease in sales. Yet, Hyundai just assumes the drop in sales was due to SUV demand?

The new design language of putting angles everywhere and creases in doors...I personally hate it.

The i30 redesign announced for 2021 in Europe was ugly too. Really ruined the car IMO. That's why I ran out and bought an N-line, for fear of getting stuck with an ugly car. Glad I did now, even if my reasoning was off.

#37 ·
"As a follow-up anecdote: I like the Kona. But I chose the Elantra GT N-Line over the Kona, for 3 reasons:
1) EGT has the panoramic roof,
2) EGT has VENTILATED SEATS which aren't available on the Kona
3) EGT is more sleek and has cleaner sheetmetal; it's the sport compact, not the "compact SUV" the Kona is marketed as"

In addition the Kona has a ridiculously small rear cargo area. The wife will be in need of a new SUV in a year or two. Hopefully this will be addressed in the next generation Kona as her car is the designated Vacation hauler. All wheel drive and adequate cargo room is a must.

#38 · (Edited)
TBH, then, a Tucson will probably fit your needs better. Especially considering it too will get an N-Line variant with the new 2.5T. Though whether it comes in FWD only like the Sonata and K5, or gets an AWD option, remains to be seen. Compact AWD hatchback is pretty much the realm of SUVs now. Have you considered a KIA Seltos? Same drivetrain, but it's a "tweener" that sits between the Kona/Soul and Tucson/Sportage, that doesn't (yet) exist on the Hyundai side. Heck, even the Soul has some pretty generous cargo space for it's size.

I'm actually going to be trading out my N-Line by the end of the year. I don't hate the car, but it doesn't quite fit my needs and I fell out of love with it about 6 months in. Which has never happened to me before in any car purchase I have made. It isn't necessarily the fault of the car; it's tons of fun and a great ride. But I need something larger.

#42 ·
From Car and Driver:

Hyundai will no longer sell a hatchback version of the Elantra compact car in the U.S. The Elantra GT, which is based on the global i30, will be discontinued for the 2021 model year. As is the case with many small-car cancelations, Hyundai cites its expanded SUV lineup—specifically the subcompact Venue and Kona models—as the reason for dropping this model.

The Elantra hatchback started off as a wagon version of the Elantra called the Elantra Touring in 2009. The Elantra GT hatchback then arrived in 2013 and was redesigned in 2018. We recently reviewed a 2020 Elantra GT N-Line with a six-speed manual transmission and enjoyed its driving character.

This leaves only a few options in the affordable compact hatchback segment: the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Mazda 3, and Subaru Impreza. The base VW Golf will likely depart the U.S. market after the 2021 model year, as the new eighth-generation version is expected to be sold here only in high-performance GTI form.

The Elantra lineup will carry on for 2021 with the redesigned sedan version—which now offers a hybrid powertrain—and the upcoming performance-oriented N-Line version, which has yet to be revealed in full. And Hyundai still offers the three-door Veloster hatchback, which is available in high-octane N form.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33562725/hyundai-elantra-gt-hatchback-discontinued/

#46 ·
This is the same flawed mentality that Ford, GM and FCA have used to justify their own vehicle offering changes. We're going to offer you more SUV/CUV's & trucks to make up for/replace the sedan, wagon and hatchback models they're discontinuing.. But not everyone actually 'wants' or 'needs' an SUV, CUV or truck.

As I see it all they're doing here is intentionally giving away around a 1/4-1/3 of the new vehicle market to the competition in exchange for the 'potential' for increased short term profits.

Sad they are so short sighted as if, as I suspect, we're looking at at least several 'very hard' economic years going forward here, I tend to doubt a lot of people who may not feel all the secure in their current employment situation will be willing to risk plunking down $40-50-60-70+k (or the equivalent monthly lease amount + deposit) for one of those highly profitable SUVs or pickups the US Big 3 are banking on you buying and that they derive the vast majority of their profits from. To a slightly lesser extent I think Hyundai are looking at things the same way here and in doing so making a mistake but that said, what do I know since I'm not part of the auto business (anymore)..

I can say one thing for sure if my own EGT were to 'vanish' from my garage tomorrow it would never be replaced by a Kona or Venue. No way in hades.. A Veloster N.. perhaps (but not likely due to the price), but that'd be it from the 2021 Hyundai model lineup as it is now. They'd simply loose me as a customer.

#55 ·
This is the same flawed mentality that Ford, GM and FCA have used to justify their own vehicle offering changes. We're going to offer you more SUV/CUV's & trucks to make up for/replace the sedan, wagon and hatchback models they're discontinuing.. But not everyone actually 'wants' or 'needs' an SUV, CUV or truck.

As I see it all they're doing here is intentionally giving away around a 1/4-1/3 of the new vehicle market to the competition in exchange for the 'potential' for increased short term profits.

Sad they are so short sighted as if, as I suspect, we're looking at at least several 'very hard' economic years going forward here, I tend to doubt a lot of people who may not feel all the secure in their current employment situation will be willing to risk plunking down $40-50-60-70+k (or the equivalent monthly lease amount + deposit) for one of those highly profitable SUVs or pickups the US Big 3 are banking on you buying and that they derive the vast majority of their profits from. To a slightly lesser extent I think Hyundai are looking at things the same way here and in doing so making a mistake but that said, what do I know since I'm not part of the auto business (anymore)..

I can say one thing for sure if my own EGT were to 'vanish' from my garage tomorrow it would never be replaced by a Kona or Venue. No way in hades.. A Veloster N.. perhaps (but not likely due to the price), but that'd be it from the 2021 Hyundai model lineup as it is now. They'd simply loose me as a customer.
All truth for 2023. . Agree with you here.

#47 ·
Hate to say it but the market has spoken. They're not cancelling the car (in the US) because sales are too strong. It's not profitable to offer the car so they can't justify offering it anymore. It's certainly a shame. It only costs more and more to develop a new car and even more to make it compliant for sale in various markets.

Similarly, folks are constantly complaining online that the manual transmission is dying. Sorry but very few people are buying them these days. To offer a manual transmission in a vehicle is a pretty substantial undertaking...if nobody is buying them it makes little sense to offer them.

#48 ·
Hate to say it but the market has spoken. They're not cancelling the car (in the US) because sales are too strong. It's not profitable to offer the car so they can't justify offering it anymore. It's certainly a shame. It only costs more and more to develop a new car and even more to make it compliant for sale in various markets.

Similarly, folks are constantly complaining online that the manual transmission is dying. Sorry but very few people are buying them these days. To offer a manual transmission in a vehicle is a pretty substantial undertaking...if nobody is buying them it makes little sense to offer them.

I can say I've proudly bucked both of those trends with my EGT so middle finger to 'the market'. LOL

That said, I do agree with your comment. The 'market' (via intensive pro SUV/CUV advertising and marketing {as they make more $ off each one} has spoken, at least in the US.

#49 ·
Yesterday on one of the news sites there was news that all the same Elantra GT will be sold in America. I was already delighted, started learning about Car Transportation cost, but still decided to check this information again and found your topic. Was this news a fake? Maybe there are some legal ways to bring a car from another country? I don't know what to do anymore, because I was really very upset about it. I do not want to leave Hyundai, because I really really like this manufacturer, but even more I like the body in which the Elantra GT is produced and if it is not available this year, then I will have to change the automaker (sad).

#52 ·
I was exactly the same way. Oh Hyundai has a N-line? Then try and find one...Lol. Then I went to the local dealer who didn't have any and of course wanted me to get me in a sedan. I said no thank you. Hatch was for me...... So I drove an hour and a half to find one and buy it. My wife wanted an auto so the DCT was the perfect choice. No tech pkgs at all in my area. When the lease is up in 3 years I will see what is out there. Under $250 a month was right on par with my '18 Fiesta ST as both are great fun cars. Hoping Hyundai develops a performance hybrid that is attractively priced. Like to get back into an AWD product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.