2019 Elantra GT 2.0L NA - preferred - Hyundai Elantra GT Turbo & Elantra GT N Performance Forum
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 1
2019 Elantra GT 2.0L NA - preferred

I'm new to the modding community and I'm having trouble with a couple things.

I've been looking threw the site trying to find people with the 2.0L motor but cant find anything. Are aftermarket parts like intakes, ECU flashes, or exhausts interchangeable with the 1.6T motor? if can parts be easily fabbed up to match? or have i just been looking in the wrong places?
antfrno is offline  
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 01:24 PM
Member
 
Exeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 86
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by antfrno View Post
I'm new to the modding community and I'm having trouble with a couple things.

I've been looking threw the site trying to find people with the 2.0L motor but cant find anything. Are aftermarket parts like intakes, ECU flashes, or exhausts interchangeable with the 1.6T motor? if can parts be easily fabbed up to match? or have i just been looking in the wrong places?
To directly answer your question: No. The 2.0 is a Nu engine, and the 1.6T is a Gamma II.

To explain in more detail. There is little you can do to that engine, performance-wise. And if there is, the Dollars-to-Horsepower ratio is abysmal. At least it's the GDI head and not the Atkinson head, but Nu is an undersquare engine, so, it is tuned for driveability and broader torque range, and you can't coax more peak HP out of revs. You'll spend a lot of money to get up to maybe.. what... 190HP? 200HP if you're lucky? You only have 2L of displacement to work with, and the cost of adding an aftermarket turbo kit is pointless when Hyundai has other engines that just mount right up. Including the Theta II N engine itself. Bet you could pull a Gamma II 1.6T from a wrecked car for not too much money.

The easiest thing to do is just do cosmetic mods and be happy with it. But you want more power, most people will recommend you just trade it for one of the turbo cars, and that's also because they are all still too new; with the oldest 1.6T production vehicle being the 2016 Tucson. The origin of Sport Compact cars, was that they were inexpensive cars (Civics, etc) with weak economy engines that could either be swapped with more powerful engines from other vehicles or had a custom turbo designed and tuned because they had no other options for more powerful engines without seriously modifying the front sub-frame, or the entire front clip of the cat itself. Back then, Honda wasn't selling us a powerful Civic Si, etc. Or we got de-tuned versions of engines that were more powerful in other countries (example: Mazda MX-6 2.5 V6 was 200HP in Japan, but only 165HP in the US). That is not nearly the case any more - so someone buys a cheap Elantra SE 10 years down the road, and they ask about making it FAST, the first thing I'll tell them is to find a wrecked Veloster Turbo and pull the engine and ECU out of it. And I say VELOSTER, because the Veloster actually gets the e-Diff TCS programming. The Elantra GT Sport/N-Line, do not.

Last edited by Exeno; 07-04-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Exeno is online now  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 10:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 56
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exeno View Post
To directly answer your question: No. The 2.0 is a Nu engine, and the 1.6T is a Gamma II. .

The '19-20 GT N-Line uses the 1.6T Gamma I. The Gamma II is currently only in the Venue as well as the 2020 Sonata. As it's paired up to Hyundai's New SmartStream Transmission.
RussianBear365 is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 12:14 PM
Member
 
Exeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 86
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianBear365 View Post
The '19-20 GT N-Line uses the 1.6T Gamma I. The Gamma II is currently only in the Venue as well as the 2020 Sonata. As it's paired up to Hyundai's New SmartStream Transmission.

Apologies - I sometimes have it in my head that there was a Gen I Gamma prior to the current. There's a few different displacements, and some technical variations here and there as well as ECU programming.


From what I've read of your posts here, and on other forums, and on Reddit, I know that you pretty much know what you're talking about and you likely either have inside knowledge or an engineering degree, or you're otherwise part of H/K in some fashion (would be my theory) perhaps in the service bay at minimum.



The Hyundai forums are not commonly a place where people regularly chat specifications and engineering specifics. So it's a bit jarring sometimes to have someone chime in from a technical angle.
RussianBear365 likes this.
Exeno is online now  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 02:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 56
Garage
I got a parts counter job in 2017 on a whim that they needed someone and I was pretty good with computers. Half a year later I was promoted to "manager" and ran a parts department by myself. Had to go to another Dealer, since the one I was at shut down, and I'm back to a lowly parts counter guy. But, one who knows the ins and outs of pretty much everything Hyundai. Give or take a few issues. I'm also a certified Warranty Admin, as well as a Service Advisor - Service Manager (Hyundai has online training that you can opt-in to do, and I've done everyone I could do from a computer). You know those online ad that go "Doctors hate him for this little secret."? The Doctor in this scenario is my District Parts and Service Manager, because I'm THE most qualified in the ENTIRE Dealership. (I'm done tooting my own horn here). However, It sucks that the Owner of this Dealer, doesn't wanna pay people well enough, so now I'm looking at moving back to the Nissan Dealer I worked at on the Weekends.

But yeah, any information needed, or wanted I can hopefully provide for anyone on here.
Exeno likes this.
RussianBear365 is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 03:57 PM
Member
 
Exeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 86
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianBear365 View Post
I got a parts counter job in 2017 on a whim that they needed someone and I was pretty good with computers. Half a year later I was promoted to "manager" and ran a parts department by myself. Had to go to another Dealer, since the one I was at shut down, and I'm back to a lowly parts counter guy. But, one who knows the ins and outs of pretty much everything Hyundai. Give or take a few issues. I'm also a certified Warranty Admin, as well as a Service Advisor - Service Manager (Hyundai has online training that you can opt-in to do, and I've done everyone I could do from a computer). You know those online ad that go "Doctors hate him for this little secret."? The Doctor in this scenario is my District Parts and Service Manager, because I'm THE most qualified in the ENTIRE Dealership. (I'm done tooting my own horn here). However, It sucks that the Owner of this Dealer, doesn't wanna pay people well enough, so now I'm looking at moving back to the Nissan Dealer I worked at on the Weekends.

But yeah, any information needed, or wanted I can hopefully provide for anyone on here.

I should have bugged you about my OEM A-pillar, then, last year. I ordered it to have a triple-gauge pod molded into it. But that ship has sailed anyway. I still have it, and it's painted black, but lost interest in modding this car.
Exeno is online now  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 04:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 56
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exeno View Post
I should have bugged you about my OEM A-pillar, then, last year. I ordered it to have a triple-gauge pod molded into it. But that ship has sailed anyway. I still have it, and it's painted black, but lost interest in modding this car.
Yeah, anything you need. I also give a pretty decent discount on any parts I sell to forum members, whether it's Reddit or here. Mainly just because I can, but I'd to strike the "Stealership" name from the record.
Exeno and mrcrump like this.
RussianBear365 is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 04:37 PM
Member
 
Exeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 86
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianBear365 View Post
Yeah, anything you need. I also give a pretty decent discount on any parts I sell to forum members, whether it's Reddit or here. Mainly just because I can, but I'd to strike the "Stealership" name from the record.

The plan when I'm done with the N-Line (or even before), is a Kona N. Depending on how the next few months shake out, I may try to trade the N-Line early if I can make the numbers work (my job is stable through this). So I'll be keeping it in the family, even if I decided for myself the N-Line wasn't worth the time and energy to mod. At the time, the Kona N was still Biermann's experiment and whether or not it would be put into production was a big fat "????", but since discovering the N brand is just going to grow and I'm on my 3rd new late model Hyundai, I see a 4th in my future. Now, the K5 GT is tempting but FWD only killed it for me. I'd be tempted to try and push the 1.6T AWD model to 300Hp, but, when I know I could have 9/10ths of a liter of additional displacement to play with in a 2.5T model.... makes it unlikely I'd be willing to play with another 1.6T car.. And if the Kona N ends up FWD only as well (AWD is a strong rumor but uncomfirmed nonetheless) then that removes it from consideration. AWD or RWD only, moving forward. If the cards lay differently in my life, I'll end up in a Stinger instead anyway. One way or the other I'm in this camp for a few years

N-Line just isn't quick enough,and I hate that Hyundai hobbled it by not giving it the e-Diff programming it gave the Veloster lineup. The stability-control programming of the EGT IS GOOD, and keeps it stable in turns as long as you don't throw it too hard into a corner that the front washes out, but it still technically has no limited-slip capability. Which I guess I shouldn't be surprised since I bet they had already decided at the time, that the model would be dropped after 2020. Which appears to be the case more and more over time.

Last edited by Exeno; 07-06-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Exeno is online now  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 05:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 56
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exeno View Post
The plan when I'm done with the N-Line (or even before), is a Kona N.
Kona N sounds pretty nice, I'm not the biggest fan of the Kona's body, but its not the worst in the Lineup *cough* Venue *cough*. I know its a very unlikely possibility, but I heard about a G70 Wagon, that I would like to have come to the US. I have an irrational love for hatchbacks, for some dumb reason which I couldn't tell you. So, I'd gladly take one for the team and get rid of my N-Line, unless they decide to bring the I30N, then I'd get that. 11 times out of 10 I'd get the I30N if available.
Exeno likes this.
RussianBear365 is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 07:01 PM
Junior Member
 
mrcrump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 12
Garage
this includes any and all parts right?
mrcrump is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome