Hyundai Elantra GT banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently thanks to all the driving I do (delivery driver), to the tune of 131K miles in just over four years (started the odometer at 9400), the liner on the front driver side wheelwell is kind of falling apart, and rubbing against the tire when I turn.

When I had my car in for its most recent oil change, I asked the dealership to quote me a price on replacing them (apparently just one replaced isn't an option, even if the other one is still in good condition) and they quoted me $929. Considering that's like 15-20 percent of the car's entire trade-in value, I said no, but the rubbing is getting worse.

Without a service center's equipment, how difficult is it to replace the liner(s) on my own, and are there any guides out there to help with it if I do decide to try my luck?

(Oh, and hello everyone. :) )

·
Registered
42 Posts
It likely can be repaired and secured using zipties and clips. Google ziptie stitching. If your comfortable with jacking up and removing the wheel Id say just go ahead and do it and see what you are dealing with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
(Guess I can't rely on e-mail notifications, as I wasn't aware there was a response. Sorry about that.)

Yesterday I did do that on the left front tire. It looked easy enough (just some screws), but shortly turned into one of those "too good to be true" things, as I couldn't get some of the fastenings to actually come out, and then couldn't put back the ones that did because the little posts the screws go into wouldn't cooperate.As I don't have a backup ride and needed to be elsewhere later, I bit the bullet and limped up to the dealership service center to have them remove it completely, to the tune of an hour's service charge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apparently thanks to all the driving I do (delivery driver), to the tune of 131K miles in just over four years (started the odometer at 9400), the liner on the front driver side wheelwell is kind of falling apart, and rubbing against the tire when I turn.

When I had my car in for its most recent oil change, I asked the dealership to quote me a price on replacing them (apparently just one replaced isn't an option, even if the other one is still in good condition) and they quoted me $929. Considering that's like 15-20 percent of the car's entire trade-in value, I said no, but the rubbing is getting worse.

Without a service center's equipment, how difficult is it to replace the liner(s) on my own, and are there any guides out there to help with it if I do decide to try my luck?

(Oh, and hello everyone. :) )
I have a 2016 GT with 37K miles and during a routine under hood inspection, i found the right liner "missing". i attributed it to having had been recently towed, but last night on the interstate there was a loud thud, followed by a grinding noise from the LEFT side. When i looked at it in the light, the liner was missing. Nothing was struck prior. the only debris in the road was the liner as it fell completely off.
The GOOD news is when the right side fell off, i found a replacement on ROCK AUTO. it was WELL under $900! probably closer to $50. There is absolutely NO mechanical reason to have to replace both, except for possibly a preemptive action. It was simple to put on, with the little plastic "screws" i got from NAPA.
i was wondering if anyone else has had this issue...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2016 GT with 37K miles and during a routine under hood inspection, i found the right liner "missing". i attributed it to having had been recently towed, but last night on the interstate there was a loud thud, followed by a grinding noise from the LEFT side. When i looked at it in the light, the liner was missing. Nothing was struck prior. the only debris in the road was the liner as it fell completely off.
The GOOD news is when the right side fell off, i found a replacement on ROCK AUTO. it was WELL under $900! probably closer to $50. There is absolutely NO mechanical reason to have to replace both, except for possibly a preemptive action. It was simple to put on, with the little plastic "screws" i got from NAPA.
i was wondering if anyone else has had this issue...
Yeah, I was looking around at prices and found something for $30/ea at RA. I think at least part of that $929 quote was that the dealership was charging $100/ea for the liners, extrapolating from prices I saw elsewhere during my search. Really, the request for a quote was more curiosity, as I don't rely on them for anything other than routine maintenance (can I change the oil and various filters? yes, but I'm lazy :p ), knowing about dealer markups.

As for both, it turns out the other one is making the same noises, after removing the driver side liner, so once I get free time again I'll be taking a look at it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry to hear you weren't able to do the repair yourself. You will to want to replace those if you drive anywhere with salt on the roads or else it will cost big time long term. Like the other poster said look for aftermarkets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I looked to a new car, actually. Between when I started this thread and now it was getting increasingly rough, but the last few days its "get up and go" got up and went. I had rode it hard enough that it was only going to get worse, with more and more expensive repairs, so I bit the bullet and got something new completely.

Not an Elantra GT (Kia Forte GT Line), though, so I probably won't be back to this thread any time soon, but I do sincerely appreciate the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts