Hyundai Elantra GT banner

2018 GT Sport loses power and shuts down

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  zooid 
#1 ·
Anyone have an issue with the 2018 Elantra GT Sport turbo model losing power and shutting down? Car has 20K miles and this issue happened
last Thursday without any warning. Dealer has had it since Friday and they have no answer yet even though it has shut down for them. Any replies
would be appreciated if you have experienced this.

#3 ·
Have them check the turbo oil lines mine were not to spec so shifting of the engine would cause limp mode and oil to spray out. That was the culprit on my car. My second culprit was coils that were starting to fail and plugs that were hella dirty and poorly gaped. Have not had any turbo related isues since then.

#4 ·
Anyone have an issue with the 2018 Elantra GT Sport turbo model losing power and shutting down? Car has 20K miles and this issue happened
last Thursday without any warning. Dealer has had it since Friday and they have no answer yet even though it has shut down for them. Any replies
would be appreciated if you have experienced this.

I'm having similar issues with my 2018 elantra gt sport lately.

First, it started with a persistent check engine light for misfires in cyl 3. After having plugs replaced and engine light cleared, started the car up a few days later in my garage and check engine light came on...followed by it blinking and the engine sputtering and rpm being erratic...tried to drive it out of garage but no power. Took it into the dealership again and this time, they told me faulty ignition coils. Got those replaced and low and behold...after about a week, check engine light comes on again.

This is seriously becoming tiresome.

#6 ·
Had the same problem with my 2020 EGT NL with tech pkg. Looks like everyone with the GDI 1.6-T engine (Veloster R-Spec and some SUVs, etc.) is having the same problems. That's why there's a wait for parts...

Quick fix for 'limp mode': pull off to the side of the road, shut down and open door for 15 secs to discharge. Restart car, and voila...

You'll be back in regular drive mode, at least until you pull a moderate accel (c. 5K RPM) to pass or enter on-ramp. Then, it's likely to misfire into limp mode again. Wash, rinse, repeat. Very Skoda-esque, busted POS situation...

Went to dealer for service late May 2021 (1st 5K miles!), and the tech said the coil packs were substandard junk and had been replaced with a different manufacturer's coil. Had to limp/restart/drive like a Skoda for a week to get one coil replaced with the new make; 1-week wait for the other 3 (took actual 3 weeks and a lot of phone stalking). After cylinder-1 coil replacement, still hesitant in spots, but no more limp-mode and much improved performance, to include the ability to properly accelerate on passes & ramp climbs...

Interestingly, after the other 3 packs were installed, GT still performed as it had with only 1 new coil. Pulled the engine cover and all 4 packs had identical thin layer of dust on them. Makes me think the 3 new coil packs were never actually installed...

I am now searching for aftermarket coil packs that I'll install myself...

If anybody knows of good ones that don't fail almost immediately, that'd be good info to have and I'll share here whatever I come up with.

Thanks for reading this long post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.