Hyundai Elantra GT banner

Check engine light...

6K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  GasseousClay 
#1 ·
2018 gt sport with tech pack here...just passed 65k mile mark and upon startup this morning...the dreaded check engine light.

Car seems to drive fine and I have regularly fed it premium(or at least midgrade octane rating fuel) until just a few wks ago (gas prices here in CA has been nuts lately).

I'm a teacher and I will not be able to get to the dealership until about two wks later. Anyone else have a check engine light come on, in their gt sport or n-line? What are some possible causes? Emissions? Faulty O2 sensor?

Thanks in advance for your input and hope you all have a safe wknd.

-Peter

See less See more
#2 ·
It could be a number of things.
Most common code is the EVAP system, which is usually no big deal. But it could also be something more serious

I would try to find someone with a scanner to pull up the code to confirm. You can also buy cheap bluetooth OBDII readers and use the 'torque' app as a cheap alternative.

#4 ·
Some auto parts stores will even do the scan for you for free (they hope you'll buy the parts from them).
It can be worth seeing if an AutoZone will do that for you.
As said before, it could just be the evap system (loose gas cap). But there's a lot of other things that are "you can wait a week, but it's important", or "you shouldn't wait at all". Best to do that scan and make sure.

#10 ·
Found the error codes to be multiple misfires in cyl 3.

So far, three separate visits (and replacements of spark plugs and ignition coils) to the dealership. The engine light came on again...

Judging from other members' similar problems here, I am thinking this is some sort of engineering problem in this particular engine/setup?

#11 ·
Found the error codes to be multiple misfires in cyl 3.

So far, three separate visits (and replacements of spark plugs and ignition coils) to the dealership. The engine light came on again...

Judging from other members' similar problems here, I am thinking this is some sort of engineering problem in this particular engine/setup?

Contact a lemon law attorney, after three repair attempts the dealership has a final attempt before you can win a settlement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.