Hyundai Elantra GT banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 gt sport with tech pack here...just passed 65k mile mark and upon startup this morning...the dreaded check engine light.

Car seems to drive fine and I have regularly fed it premium(or at least midgrade octane rating fuel) until just a few wks ago (gas prices here in CA has been nuts lately).

I'm a teacher and I will not be able to get to the dealership until about two wks later. Anyone else have a check engine light come on, in their gt sport or n-line? What are some possible causes? Emissions? Faulty O2 sensor?

Thanks in advance for your input and hope you all have a safe wknd.

-Peter

·
Registered
2019 GT N-Line; Fiery Red 6MT
87 Posts
It could be a number of things.
Most common code is the EVAP system, which is usually no big deal. But it could also be something more serious

I would try to find someone with a scanner to pull up the code to confirm. You can also buy cheap bluetooth OBDII readers and use the 'torque' app as a cheap alternative.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N-Line w/Tech package
37 Posts
Thank you. Will try to get a scanner this wk. 👍
Some auto parts stores will even do the scan for you for free (they hope you'll buy the parts from them).
It can be worth seeing if an AutoZone will do that for you.
As said before, it could just be the evap system (loose gas cap). But there's a lot of other things that are "you can wait a week, but it's important", or "you shouldn't wait at all". Best to do that scan and make sure.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did not know this! Thank you for the suggestion. I have a friend who has a scanner(but lived about an hr away). I think I will pay him a visit with a six pack of beers after work, this week. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys...weird stuff. After I put some premium fuel into the car at start of the week...after about 4 days of the check engine light on, it suddenly went away. Very confused lol😅...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Probably just an evap code! The car should store old error codes in the ECU so you could pull them up even with the engine light gone.
If that's the case, thank goodness lol...did not want to deal with the stealership over the wknd 😅
Will still check with a my friend's code scanner soon, just to be sure, though👍.
Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found the error codes to be multiple misfires in cyl 3.

So far, three separate visits (and replacements of spark plugs and ignition coils) to the dealership. The engine light came on again...

Judging from other members' similar problems here, I am thinking this is some sort of engineering problem in this particular engine/setup?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Found the error codes to be multiple misfires in cyl 3.

So far, three separate visits (and replacements of spark plugs and ignition coils) to the dealership. The engine light came on again...

Judging from other members' similar problems here, I am thinking this is some sort of engineering problem in this particular engine/setup?

Contact a lemon law attorney, after three repair attempts the dealership has a final attempt before you can win a settlement.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm in fact going in today (third time) to have them address the issue with the ongoing engine light and error code for multiple misfires. Hate driving 4 hrs roundtrip and taking a day off for this.

I'm guessing the dealership knows the third time rule and will be more serious in trying to fix the issue correctly this time around?

Anyways, will update with results after today.

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm in fact going in today (third time) to have them address the issue with the ongoing engine light and error code for multiple misfires. Hate driving 4 hrs roundtrip and taking a day off for this.

I'm guessing the dealership knows the third time rule and will be more serious in trying to fix the issue correctly this time around?

Anyways, will update with results after today.

Thanks for the suggestion.
No, they'll play dumb and drag it out assuming you're too lazy to do anything about it. The attorney will send them a "final fix" letter allowing them the opportunity to fix the issue once and for all. If the same issue persists after that you can then go into settlement arbitration.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, they'll play dumb and drag it out assuming you're too lazy to do anything about it. The attorney will send them a "final fix" letter allowing them the opportunity to fix the issue once and for all. If the same issue persists after that you can then go into settlement arbitration.
Update regarding my third visit:

So I went and they made me wait 4 hrs...only to tell me that I need a new injector (not sure how they determined that). They said they will need to order the part and will call me in a week or so when it comes in. Kinda irked but will give them this one last chance, before contacting a lemon law attorney.

Wondering why they did not find out it is the injector from the beginning...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts