Hyundai Elantra GT banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Just recently purchased a 2018 GT Sport, and I love everything about this car except for the red accents. I had hoped they would grown on me, and have yet to feel that way about it, so I'm exploring my options to see what I can do to cover up or change the parts out, or even dissemble and repaint some of them myself if possible.

I was wondering if anyone here has any good references for techniques, or types of paint.

The Hyundai Kona that I just saw photos of got me really excited about switching this up, they've got the neon green color on black which is my absolute favorite!

The part that looks most challenging is the red stitching in the seats. Do you think it would be hard / expensive for someone who does leather seats, to restitch the seats with a different color thread?

Any information would be helpful, I live in the DC Metro area for anyone who happens to know a shop off hand who would take good care of me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
The stitching is definitely not going to be cheap and the red piping will need to be replaced with something else. You can try getting a quote to have it restitched, but the bill won't be pretty with how labor intensive it's going to be.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You will be better off swapping the seats to something else to your liking. These seats just aren't worth doing it on and odds are someone out there want the seats you have. Consider that before modifying the stock seats

·
Registered
83 Posts
If I were you, I would consider a DIY alternative. You're going to spend a fortune having it re-stitched and there are other cheaper routes you could try first. Have you looked into Fabric pens? Sharpie makes one called "Stained by Sharpie" and you can probably find one in the neon color you're looking for. There isn't much to applying the dye to the stitching, just be sure to immediately wipe away the excess dye from the vinyl/leather. Not sure how well you'll be able to dye the red stitching with a brighter color, but I think its worth a try for $2.50.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Leatherseats.com seems pretty affordable.

Side note: anybody notice that the seats are already getting wrinkly? I am 218lbs(sort of heavy I know) but I am pretty gentle on the seats. I think I might put some of my seat gel on the trouble areas next to the piping.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Its not just you. My driver seat occasionally starts to look veiny and has that cracking look after a while (maybe cause it is dry). I also notice small spots of leather fade. Might I suggest Lexol deep conditioner, Lexol leather cleaner. You can get it cheap at walmart for like 5 bucks. I use that on my seats when detailing my car and it makes the seats look as good as new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Its not just you. My driver seat occasionally starts to look veiny and has that cracking look after a while (maybe cause it is dry). I also notice small spots of leather fade. Might I suggest Lexol deep conditioner, Lexol leather cleaner. You can get it cheap at walmart for like 5 bucks. I use that on my seats when detailing my car and it makes the seats look as good as new.
I actually use that on my girlfriend's Mazda3, not bad for standard carwashes. I recently applied Griot's Garage Leather Rejuvenator gel to the seats, that one sits on for an hour but it does a pretty good job, I think I might apply a light coat just to keep it from wrinkling.

·
Registered
83 Posts
How do those work on already existing wrinkles? Noticed the ones in my mom's car recently and it's pretty bad on the leather driver seat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts