Hyundai Elantra GT banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my mid-pipe installed and the mechanic ran into all kinds of issues. There are a ton of heat shields and crap that needs to come off in order to begin the removal of the stock downpipe.
Once that was all done, some of the bolts are almost impossible to get at which cause even more issues. But, the straw that broke the camel's back the bolts coming off the turbo itself. They are made of some weird metal and they began stripping and causing all kinds of issues.
The shop even went to a nearby shop who specializes in this sort of thing and said the downpipe on our cars is a day-long job and not 2-3 hours as I was led to believe. I don't really blame my guy as they do tones of downpipes but being my car was a 2019 and these new bolts were not expected to be dealt with, they are now having to resort to drilling them out. We now know why my downpipe came with new nuts and bolts I guess.

Drilling out each bolt takes about an hour apiece, this is going to be one expensive fricken downpipe. So anyone out there who has had better success than me, please post. Any secrets regarding those new bolts and their removal, please share.

I am still looking forward to finally getting back my car, but since the shop where I took my car in moving, it will be a few days until they are set back up to complete the work. Talk about the perfect storm....

I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wow, this is not the story I expected to hear. **** that really sucks.

It's unfortunate you have to foot the bill for this, finding out after the fact but that's the nature of the beast I suppose.

Hope this works out well, and is worth it in the end.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Weird, I know it was an awful job for me to do with one of my technicians, but it wasn't that awful. There was just a lot of PB Blaster and a very hot Turbo. Bolts came off and went on with almost no issues. Only issue we ran into was the lower bolt had no space to fit a socket, so we had to use a wrench that had a quarter turn of room. I wish you all the best, and it'll sound sick. Trust me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: They had to drill out the bolts on the turbo and now are having to rethread then hopefully have everything put back together tomorrow. The needed special drill bits, as well as nothing in the shop, would touch them. It must be somerthing on the Canadian versions? Either way, it will be expensive but still worth it as the downpipe will give more HP since I have a tune already. Also, that sound with no resonator or cats, look out!!!!
I will update you all as soon as it's all back and working and if weather permits, a sound clip.

Pray for me LOL!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to get a sound clip. I didn't rev it too hard as the engine was not fully warmed up. It sounds amazing under load and gives off burbles and pops.

I am very pleased with it. I feel a bit more performance, less hesitation, and quicker turbo. I will do a 0-60 run as soon as weather permits and post the results.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update, we ran into a leak issue with the downpipe and how it connected to the turbo, so the mechanic needed to re-tap and reattach and this time he nailed it. So far no issues and I am enjoying it very much now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am getting my mid-pipe installed and the mechanic ran into all kinds of issues. There are a ton of heat shields and crap that needs to come off in order to begin the removal of the stock downpipe.
Once that was all done, some of the bolts are almost impossible to get at which cause even more issues. But, the straw that broke the camel's back the bolts coming off the turbo itself. They are made of some weird metal and they began stripping and causing all kinds of issues.
The shop even went to a nearby shop who specializes in this sort of thing and said the downpipe on our cars is a day-long job and not 2-3 hours as I was led to believe. I don't really blame my guy as they do tones of downpipes but being my car was a 2019 and these new bolts were not expected to be dealt with, they are now having to resort to drilling them out. We now know why my downpipe came with new nuts and bolts I guess.

Drilling out each bolt takes about an hour apiece, this is going to be one expensive fricken downpipe. So anyone out there who has had better success than me, please post. Any secrets regarding those new bolts and their removal, please share.

I am still looking forward to finally getting back my car, but since the shop where I took my car in moving, it will be a few days until they are set back up to complete the work. Talk about the perfect storm....

I'll keep you all posted.
Did you install a catted or catless downpipe? Is it connected to the stock exhaust or is it aftermarket?
I am entertaining the idea of getting a catted downpipe from Sxth Element for my Elantra N-line and connect it to my factory exhaust.
My main concern is that the exhaust will 'drone' from inside the car under normal driving.
What is your opinion on the subject?

Thanks for the clip by the way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts