Hyundai Elantra GT banner

Elantra 1.6 Turbo Upgrade

20K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Locknloadd 
#1 ·
Although I'm still unsure if the turbo piping and what not will be the same from the Elantra GT Turbo and the Elantra Sport, one thing I can guarantee is that the turbo itself will be the same.

For that reason, and surprisingly enough, there is already a turbo upgrade out that essentially utilizes the same oem turbo housing but upgraded internal components of it.

Now again, because it's such a new vehicle, they still haven't figured out what the threshold is and how far they can go with boost on stock internals, BUT you definitely can buy this and keep it in the back pocket, because I'm sure in a month or so, it'll all be figured out ;)

Hyundai Elantra Bolt On Turbo Upgrade | DamnFastDD.com

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
I'm guessing it'll be somewhere in the 165-170whp range taking out drivetrain loss and what not. Which, still to todays standards is a good number considering it's boosted. If I could get it to push the 210whp mark, I'd be a pretty happy camper. May not sound like much, but on the actual street, you'll feel content enough with that.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
That's what the stock engine should be able to produce from factory (depending on dyno and many more factors) but that's a guesstimate considering "standard" drivetrain loss. So that engine has been stress tested with that given power there. Now the bigger question is after tuning to something above 200whp, reliability is kind of unknown on these things so we're going to have to keep an ear out with the Elantra Sport guys and see what they're dealing with.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
That power gain is definitely going to be easily attainable it's just the reliability that'll be out the window along with the warranty haha. Worst case scenario, swap out the motor and throw in a Genesis 2.0T engine, with how long it's been, you could probably get one for a good price.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Very possible.

Really depends on your preferences and what erks you first haha. A lot of times for me, I'll get in there and the suspension immediately feels too soft for my liking so that needs to be changed. Then I'll typically move on to exhaust because I like to hear my gears as I go through them.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
I'm probably going to cut short and get it done asap. Not too worried about the whole warranty thing. If they want to void the suspension portion of it, I'm totally cool with that. But at the end of the day, they'll have to prove that my modifications caused the issues right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.