Hyundai Elantra GT banner

Going for a Track Day soonish. Couple questions.

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Kick66 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

My buddy and I are going to be doing a track day in the near future. Neither one of us has been before. We don't want to go too crazy since it'll be our first experience, but we want to have fun obviously.

My car is stock barring an active axle-back exhaust.

I wanted to find out if there were any no-nos for our cars for track days?

I also wanted to find out if there is anything I can do to make the best of my experience and keep my car running in top shape?

We'll most likely be going to Toronto Motorsports Park, for the curious.

Thanks for any input.

#2 ·
Hey guys,

My buddy and I are going to be doing a track day in the near future. Neither one of us has been before. We don't want to go too crazy since it'll be our first experience, but we want to have fun obviously.

My car is stock barring an active axle-back exhaust.

I wanted to find out if there were any no-nos for our cars for track days?

I also wanted to find out if there is anything I can do to make the best of my experience and keep my car running in top shape?

We'll most likely be going to Toronto Motorsports Park, for the curious.

Thanks for any input.
Since this is your first event go with the intention of getting familiar with the car and whatever track you are going too. Pay attention in the track drivers meetings.
Fresh oil change prior. 5W-40 for turbo cars
Good plugs.
Run min 91 oct.
Tire pressure gauge to monitor tire pressure - Digital
(Follow these recommendations)

Torque spec your tire lug nuts

Tape up behind wheels to protect paint (leading edge of hood too)
I use blue paper tape that can be also used to make your car number.

Here are good tips for your premier track day. Enjoy!!!!

#3 ·
Haven't done any track days but I do a good amount of autocross.
  • Definitely change to 5W40 as top priority
  • Get an OBDII scanner and torque pro. I strongly suggest keeping an eye on coolant temperatures. I've had the car almost 35°F above normal operating temp, after stopping and trying to let the car cool at idle the temp continued to increase (heat soaked radiator). The temperature gauge DOES NOT reflect the true temperature of the engine so OBDII is the only accurate way. I had to turn my heater on max to finally get the temperature to drop/

For being your first time just get a hang of the car and you can start playing around with tire pressure. I would start around 40 psi, chalk will let you know how much your tire is rolling over and you can adjust from there.

Go out and have some fun! These cars are pretty impressive in stock trim.

#4 ·
Just did my first track day yesterday at NJ Motorsports Park in Millville, NJ. Had a blast and the car survived (didn't do any of the above recommendations, but definitely will next time). Car is straight stock, no mods (yet) and it did great.

Couple of additional tips:
  • Leave any loose items home (floor mats, rear storage lid, etc.). I ended up leaving everything in a pile in the paddock including the spare and the jack.
  • Install the tow bolt that comes packaged with the jack. I didn't notice I had one until the last session.
  • If you plan to mount a GoPro or other action cam, make sure you have it tethered. GoPro sells sets of tethers and mounts.
Have fun!

#5 ·
Just did my first track day yesterday at NJ Motorsports Park in Millville, NJ. Had a blast and the car survived (didn't do any of the above recommendations, but definitely will next time). Car is straight stock, no mods (yet) and it did great.

Couple of additional tips:
  • Leave any loose items home (floor mats, rear storage lid, etc.). I ended up leaving everything in a pile in the paddock including the spare and the jack.
  • Install the tow bolt that comes packaged with the jack. I didn't notice I had one until the last session.
  • If you plan to mount a GoPro or other action cam, make sure you have it tethered. GoPro sells sets of tethers and mounts.
Have fun!
Glad you had fun and car did well. Thunderbolt or Lightening Raceway?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.