Hyundai Elantra GT banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know there are some option differences between the Canadian version and USA version of this car even at the same trim level. For one, the top trim in Canada has red seat belts, white LED drls and a heated steering wheel.

I have the USA Sport Ultimate and IDK why we got the short end of the stick but here's the point:

I know for a lot of car makers they leave "extra" things in the car because it's easier to do so and cheaper to manufacture.
My theory is that my USA Sport Ultimate has a steering wheel with heating elements in it and a chassis harness that plugs into a blank next to the shifter (this is where I've seen the heated wheel button on Hyundai Canadas site, check the picture).

The question is, do any of you have instructions on how to take a part the dash and/or information on this? I'm fairly certain that this could be the case. My plan is to replace the blank switch with the heated wheel one (or that button assembly that goes around the shifter) and be able to activate the heating feature).

I also could be wrong and they might very well have distinguished the steering wheel part number whenever they made it. Since they were all made in Ulsan Korea I'm not sure how specific they were.

Anyone got any insight before I tear into my dash? Especially from any Canadian owners? A picture of the fuse box and any relevant information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
I too am very interested in this. My guess is that there is no heating element or harness though. Manufacturers have gotten really good at planning production runs to eliminate wasted costs like this.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Assuming your steering wheel has a heating element is quite a leap. I would try to validate that theory before exploring the switch installation.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Often you can get these answers from the parts department at your local dealer from what I realized from both working in that environment, and then as a consumer asking questions. I suggest you do that first, either in person or over the phone.
You would be surprised at the information they're willing to disclose, its incredibly valuable and almost like having the diagrams to yourself.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I looked up parts diagrams for a 2018 Santa Fe in the US. They list different part numbers for heated vs unheated wheels. I wouldn't count on your wheel having a heating element.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I looked up parts diagrams for a 2018 Santa Fe in the US. They list different part numbers for heated vs unheated wheels. I wouldn't count on your wheel having a heating element.
While I agree that the odds are in favor of not having the heating element, I'd also like to point out that the santa fe is built in the US, while the GTS is built in Korea. The parts suppliers will be different, so its not a certainty that they follow the same differentiation.

I tried looking at part numbers for canadian GTS, but could not find them on-line in the USA (could not find a canadian parts site that was workable for this). I think the best bet is to find the heated steering wheel part number and compare it to the USA GTS w/ tech steering wheel. If the numbers are the same, they will both have a heating element.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm there are a lot of good insights on this. I haven't looked up the topic much but it would be a benefit to look into how auto makers have updated production run practices over the years. (I'm still stuck in the early 2000s :laugh: )

I think my first bet would be to compare the heated wheel numbers. However as noted, if the harness isn't there too then that's also a no go.

I'll have to do some research into it and I do think the PN's are a good place to start. I'm kind of hoping that since they were all made in Korea (at least the ones we get in NA) that even with different production runs they are close enough that I would end up having the wiring and part. I think calling dealerships is next...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hmm there are a lot of good insights on this. I haven't looked up the topic much but it would be a benefit to look into how auto makers have updated production run practices over the years. (I'm still stuck in the early 2000s :laugh: )

I think my first bet would be to compare the heated wheel numbers. However as noted, if the harness isn't there too then that's also a no go.

I'll have to do some research into it and I do think the PN's are a good place to start. I'm kind of hoping that since they were all made in Korea (at least the ones we get in NA) that even with different production runs they are close enough that I would end up having the wiring and part. I think calling dealerships is next...
Please keep us informed if you manage to get the part numbers for heated/standard steering wheels. I tried looking into this, but could not find this info definitively. Seems that there is such a scarcity of these cars in high trim level that the parts world hasn't bothered to enter them into any online databases that I can find, especially with heated steering wheel option being restricted only to Canada. The part number for the steering wheel in a GTS w/ Tech (highest trim in the USA) is 56100-G3830-UYC

·
Registered
244 Posts
I usually advocate for buying older cars, 2-3 years old at most over entirely new vehicles and this is a prime reason why.
Automakers have far more reasons for including all they can during the last years of production, first production years will always offer the least.
Depending on who you are that won't be worth the trade off of buying new and being first.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I usually advocate for buying older cars, 2-3 years old at most over entirely new vehicles and this is a prime reason why.
Automakers have far more reasons for including all they can during the last years of production, first production years will always offer the least.
Depending on who you are that won't be worth the trade off of buying new and being first.
you are entirely wrong sir. It is a basic tenet of the auto business to "de-content" models as they age, in order to improve profitability of an established model. You can see this already with the new GT N-Line, which has lost some of the features that were included in the GT Sport (BSM and some others). You can see this trend for almost every model across most manufacturers. The marketing folks do a good job of spinning this though, but highlighting "new features" without mentioning the stuff that has been removed to make the overall package cheaper for the manufacturer. New models tend to have high feature content because they need to attract positive reviews from the press and attract buyers without relying on any kind of heritage or prestige.

Also, lets stay on topic here and focus on figuring out this heating steering wheel issue. Please keep commentary like this for other subforums here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the late response, this forum doesn't sent me notifications and I forget where I post.

I've kind of given up on it now. I'm a little reluctant to tear up a perfectly working 2018 car and possibly messing it up for the small benefit of the heated wheel. This harness is a little harder to get to than other parts of the car.

If I see another "go-getter" that has made a post on how to do it easily I might look into trying it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry for the late response, this forum doesn't sent me notifications and I forget where I post.

I've kind of given up on it now. I'm a little reluctant to tear up a perfectly working 2018 car and possibly messing it up for the small benefit of the heated wheel. This harness is a little harder to get to than other parts of the car.

If I see another "go-getter" that has made a post on how to do it easily I might look into trying it.

Is there even confirmation that there are heating elements in the steering wheel?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is there even confirmation that there are heating elements in the steering wheel?
The Canadian market GT has an optional heated steering wheel. So the functionality exists, but to get to work for a US GT, you would need to:
1. Obtain the Canada market part number for the heated steering wheel and source it.
2. Obtain the Canada market part number for the switch that controls the heated wheel function and source it.
3. Determine if the existing wiring harness in the US market GT includes the plugs for the heated wheel and control switch. If the harness is already set up for it, you would install the new wheel and switch, and be good to go. If the harness does not include plugs for the wheel and switch, than you would need to tie in to another power source for the wheel's heating element and custom wire the switch to make it work.

bottom line is that it is generally doable, but at this point, I have not been able to get a hold of the Canadian part numbers for the heated wheel and switch, so cannot try buying them. If I had the part numbers and could source them for relatively low cost, I would give it a shot. Even if the existing harness doesn't accommodate these on the US cars, the wiring to make it work would be pretty simple to rig up.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I never understood why dealers don't offer these upgrades as they don't void warranty (unless i'm wrong) and have a decent volume of buyers

·
Registered
88 Posts
The Canadian market GT has an optional heated steering wheel. So the functionality exists, but to get to work for a US GT, you would need to:
1. Obtain the Canada market part number for the heated steering wheel and source it.
2. Obtain the Canada market part number for the switch that controls the heated wheel function and source it.
3. Determine if the existing wiring harness in the US market GT includes the plugs for the heated wheel and control switch. If the harness is already set up for it, you would install the new wheel and switch, and be good to go. If the harness does not include plugs for the wheel and switch, than you would need to tie in to another power source for the wheel's heating element and custom wire the switch to make it work.

bottom line is that it is generally doable, but at this point, I have not been able to get a hold of the Canadian part numbers for the heated wheel and switch, so cannot try buying them. If I had the part numbers and could source them for relatively low cost, I would give it a shot. Even if the existing harness doesn't accommodate these on the US cars, the wiring to make it work would be pretty simple to rig up.
There was thought from someone that all US GT Sports had the same steering wheel as Canada, meaning the heating elements where there just needing the wiring harness and switch to get it working. I guess the thought was it was cheaper to just carry the one steering wheel / less chance of mixing them up during assembly. Not sure I bought that argument.

·
Registered
88 Posts
There was thought from someone that all US GT Sports had the same steering wheel as Canada, meaning the heating elements where there just needing the wiring harness and switch to get it working. I guess the thought was it was cheaper to just carry the one steering wheel / less chance of mixing them up during assembly. Not sure I bought that argument.
The only way to check is to look at the part numbers. The US GT Sport w/ tech pkg wheel is part number 56100-G3830-UYC. I don't know what the Canadian market part number is, and I have not been able to find it online. Someone in Canada will need to go to their dealer and find out.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Shouldn't be hard to find out that Canadian part number (if there is any difference) by calling up the parts department a Canadian dealer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think I'm reviving a dead thread, but if someone has a Canadian GTS, and an American GTS, I could compare part numbers IF your'e willing to PM a VIN. The American Version does have a part number with a Heated Steering Wheel. PN: 56100-G3470-UYC / 56100-G3980-UYC (The UYC is the color code, it also comes in PTW) (56100-G3830-UYC does not have the heated element inside)

Please note that the main wiring (that runs under the console and behind the dash) comes in 5 different part numbers depending on what trim level and what features you have. Along with that trim piece that has the actual buttons. So if you have a car that doesn't have a heated steering wheel, you DO NOT have the wiring underneath the console for a heated wheel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts