Hyundai Elantra GT banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, happy to join this forum. finally decided on Hyundai and picked up new Elantra GT last week! Funny tho I didn't even consider any other brand after watching youtube reviews of this car. (no cvt for me tyvm) . I think the sales guy can tell how much I like the car and they have the colour I want that I porbably did not get the best deal. Oh well.

But my of my what a peppy little car!! just love driving it !!! so comfortable. Just have to get used to dct coming from a manual . I also cant believe the attention I get from neighbors -lol .Hyundai sure have come a long way .

Anyways being new here, I hope you'll go easy on me 0:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello everyone, happy to join this forum. finally decided on Hyundai and picked up new Elantra GT last week! Funny tho I didn't even consider any other brand after watching youtube reviews of this car. (no cvt for me tyvm) . I think the sales guy can tell how much I like the car and they have the colour I want that I porbably did not get the best deal. Oh well.

But my of my what a peppy little car!! just love driving it !!! so comfortable. Just have to get used to dct coming from a manual . I also cant believe the attention I get from neighbors -lol .Hyundai sure have come a long way .

Anyways being new here, I hope you'll go easy on me 0:)
Welcome and congratulations on your GT. CVT was a killer for me as well for many other brands. It was bad enough I was pushed to an auto by my SO. The DCT is pretty good though. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your GT. CVT was a killer for me as well for many other brands. It was bad enough I was pushed to an auto by my SO. The DCT is pretty good though. :D
Loving my GT Sport. The 2018 has a much more mature look than the previous iteration. I didn't even know it existed until I started looking for an alternative to a manual shift Ford Focus ST. Manual would have been nice but a bum knee nixes that. CVT? Yech! The DCT is the bomb. I love to down shift into a slow, sharp corner and paddle through the gears on the way out. Lots of fun without breaking the speed limit.0:) Love the sound and the tactile sensations as it shifts. I was in the nuclear power training program when I was in the USN. Mostly a good experience, but got a medical discharge out (in 1967, am I the oldest GT Sport owner on the board at 71?) before completion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Loving my GT Sport. The 2018 has a much more mature look than the previous iteration. I didn't even know it existed until I started looking for an alternative to a manual shift Ford Focus ST. Manual would have been nice but a bum knee nixes that. CVT? Yech! The DCT is the bomb. I love to down shift into a slow, sharp corner and paddle through the gears on the way out. Lots of fun without breaking the speed limit.0:) Love the sound and the tactile sensations as it shifts. I was in the nuclear power training program when I was in the USN. Mostly a good experience, but got a medical discharge out (in 1967, am I the oldest GT Sport owner on the board at 71?) before completion.
Wow, 71 years young. I'm about half way there. :D

Thank you for your service. Nuke school was tough when I went through in 2002, I heard it was brutal in its early years. Were you sub or surface?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, 71 years young. I'm about half way there. :D

Thank you for your service.
And to you to sir.
Nuke school was tough when I went through in 2002, I heard it was brutal in its early years. Were you sub or surface?

I would have been assigned to surface ships due to the need to wear glasses. Did they ever change that rule? I was in Idaho, about 1/2 way done when medical problems got me removed from the Navy. I was upset at the time, but, in retrospect, I wouldn't have had the very gratifying career I ended up with. So it was all for the best.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would have been assigned to surface ships due to the need to wear glasses. Did they ever change that rule? I was in Idaho, about 1/2 way done when medical problems got me removed from the Navy. I was upset at the time, but, in retrospect, I wouldn't have had the very gratifying career I ended up with. So it was all for the best.
No glasses rules anymore for subs. They even gave you some Harry Potter inspired "submarine glasses" with hooked bows to keep them on your ears :nerd:. Luckily we were not required to wear them, but I had a pair. Nuke school is now in Charleston, SC at the weapons station. I was in one of the first classes to go through the new school.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you ExNukeSquid for the warm welcome. Yes dct to please my wife as well but I still have my Mitsu when I feel like I want to be banging gears.

Wow elantracityDave1$ 71 yrs young. I thought I was the oldest -lol . You're 11 years ahead of me so you are my senpai :)

Like ExNukeSquid , I am also grateful for your service. Not many people know how much you guys sacrifice to keep your country and mine as well safe and free. I really mean that since I know a lot of Americans gave up their lives in the pacific to liberate us.

elantracityDave1$, yes the look of the new Elantra is what made me pull the trigger as well plus all the safety that comes with it. I wanted an even cleaner look that I de-badged it already on the weekend.

I just have to learn how to post pics so I can show my precious :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I am getting up there...I turn 64 in a few weeks. Living in Texas, having a truck is almost a requirement. Prior to my GT, I had a Bright Red Kia Soul and shopping at Lowes or Home Depot and not in a pickup was getting embarrassing. I never could find that perfect truck or someone that would give an honest deal. So, Sunday I wandered the new car lots looking for something that wasn't a sedan or SUV or CUV. That Electric Blue Metallic caught my attention so I walked over to see what it was. At first I thought it was a Veloster, but it was too long. An Elantra?? That is what our daughter has, but this was quite different. So, yesterday I went by to test drive it and told the salesman that I MIGHT be back later. He must have been psychic, because 3 hours later it was parked where I left it. He said, "I knew you would be back!" I drove it to work today and it did awesome in Fort Worth traffic. I still need to figure out all the hi tech goodies. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, I am getting up there...I turn 64 in a few weeks. Living in Texas, having a truck is almost a requirement. Prior to my GT, I had a Bright Red Kia Soul and shopping at Lowes or Home Depot and not in a pickup was getting embarrassing. I never could find that perfect truck or someone that would give an honest deal. So, Sunday I wandered the new car lots looking for something that wasn't a sedan or SUV or CUV. That Electric Blue Metallic caught my attention so I walked over to see what it was. At first I thought it was a Veloster, but it was too long. An Elantra?? That is what our daughter has, but this was quite different. So, yesterday I went by to test drive it and told the salesman that I MIGHT be back later. He must have been psychic, because 3 hours later it was parked where I left it. He said, "I knew you would be back!" I drove it to work today and it did awesome in Fort Worth traffic. I still need to figure out all the hi tech goodies. Any help would be appreciated!
Bring on the questions! Probably in new threads, though. :)

As far as the tech goes, what made me most happy was not needing to do the whole bluetooth setup. I just downloaded Android Auto and plugged in the phone to the USB port and all was set up. I loved my Uconnect, but Hyundai does infotainment better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts