Hyundai Elantra GT banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Though we can’t determine which of the vehicles sold last year were of the GT variety, we were able to determine just how many Elantras Hyundai managed to sell in the United States last year and sales have seen a slight drop. For the past six years, Hyundai has been able to sell at least 200,000 Elantras annually until last year where only 198,210 examples were sold.

An odd occurrence considering how well received the model is and it won an IIHS Top Safety Pick award last year. Customers can choose between the GT and Sport variant with the latter featuring a 2.0-liter Inline 4-cylinder engine. Paired with a standard 6-speed manual transmission, it sends 161 horsepower and 150 lb-ft or torque to the front wheels. Those who need a bit more punch can opt for the 1.6-liter Inline 4-cylinder Turbo unit delivering 201hp and 195 lb-ft or torque.

If the downturn continues, perhaps Hyundai will offer better incentives and deals to boost sales. As nice as the $1500 retail bonus cash is, it could be better. According to Automotive News, “Hyundai discounts averaged $3,095 per vehicle in December, up 18% from the same period last year”. Maybe this trend will continue in the coming months.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i think that this is one of the best elantras that has come out so far and these sales might not be an accurate representation of what the product actually is. It might need more time on the market to prove itself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hyundai needs to advertise the Elantra way more instead of just the Sonata. I hadn't even heard of this car, or the Sport sedan for that matter, until I stopped in at my local dealer about 2 weeks ago to ask about the plugin Ioniq and saw the GT Sport sitting on the showroom floor. Glad I found it though, planning on buying one now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hyundai needs to advertise the Elantra way more instead of just the Sonata. I hadn't even heard of this car, or the Sport sedan for that matter, until I stopped in at my local dealer about 2 weeks ago to ask about the plugin Ioniq and saw the GT Sport sitting on the showroom floor. Glad I found it though, planning on buying one now.
Yeh, this car is definitely under the radar. I've been wanting a VW Golf like car that was not a VW :D and I finally found this. I've got the sport with the DCT and love it so far.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think all auto makers are seeing this. People are moving from the compact and mid-sized sedans to small crossovers like the C-HR, HR-V and the CX-3.

That's why Hyundai is introducing the Kona. Late, but to get in on this SUV/Crossover craze.

I wouldn't be surprised if their lack of Elantra sales weren't balanced by Santa Fe Sport purchases.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The problem for me when shopping was the price point difference for other cars vs the Elantra GT. The GT just had all the right basics for this kind of car, and was definitely more affordable. Plus even just the style package wasn't all that much more and it makes it so much attractive visually and from the tech standpoint than other comparable cars. And really this car scratches all the right itches for someone looking for a sportier compromise between a hatchback or even a crossover and a true sports car. I don't know why they aren't marketing it to that degree.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Regarding sales. The 2018 GT Sport has been difficult for me to find in SoCal. Few places have it, and those that do likely don't have the color I'm after. And those that do... they act like they have a GTI/GolfR, and I'm not about to pay full (or above) MSRP for this car no matter how much fun it is to drive.

From this forum and other research out there. Seems like one should be able to score a GT sport for well under MSRP. In fact, below $20K USD seems possible? or maybe that is changing now because of this sales issue?

I have test driven it, though. And, boy. Do I want it. What a very *lowkey* fun car.

Have seen plenty of base GTs out there, though. Tons, and tons of them.

Probably going to have to wait until end of year for the awesome deals. grrr! I wish I knew about this car at the end of 17. Hyundai needs to do a way better job of advertising these Sport models.

EDIT: (talking about the 6MT. Not DCT) :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I picked up mine in August. Paid just below MSRP before rebates and what not. I have yet to see a single other 2018 of any trim level, which I consider odd for Southern California. I'm like 40 miles from the North American headquarters. I've driven to San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas and various points in-between and still none. Oddly enough outside of the occasional Instagram post, zero advertisement. It's an awesome car but its almost like they don't want to sell it for some reason.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I picked up mine in August. Paid just below MSRP before rebates and what not. I have yet to see a single other 2018 of any trim level, which I consider odd for Southern California. I'm like 40 miles from the North American headquarters. I've driven to San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas and various points in-between and still none. Oddly enough outside of the occasional Instagram post, zero advertisement. It's an awesome car but its almost like they don't want to sell it for some reason.
They really don't. I've tried multiple times today to buy one! think dealers are holding the ones they have thinking they can sale for high margin. Weird though since the ones left on the lots have been there 100+ days. Definitely not overpaying for one of these.

My super scientific analysis: 99% of real Hyundai employees at various dealerships have *zero* idea about the Veloster N. Embarrassing! And more importantly, what that means for the GT Sport.

And the 1% that did - they speculate dealership high markup on the Veloster N. Bummer - hope the dealerships don't kill the N division before they even get started over here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hyundai is offering a 1.9% finance rate with bonus $500 down payment cash. Also offering $2500 retail bonus cash if you forgo the low interest rate. When I bought my GT Sport in December 2017 I got $2000 retail bonus cash and another $2000 dealer discount for a total of $4000 off sticker price. I felt that was a pretty good deal

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yar, I picked mine up earlier this month when the March incentives kicked off. I got mine for (OTD price) just a hair over $22K. It was a screaming deal, but only got the screaming deal when I went to a larger Hyundai dealership. For me, that was the trick. The smaller dealerships couldn't compete. I have over 1500 miles on mine now. Loving every minute of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts