Hyundai Elantra GT banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Compact hatchbacks are getting increasingly popularity even though compact-car sales overall are in a slump and Hyundai is doing their best to capitalize on that with the Elantra GT.

For a while, those who wanted a compact five-door didn’t have many choices and both the Ford Focus and Volkswagen Golf were dominating the segment. Recently, more options are hitting the market including the Chevy Cruze, Honda Civic and Toyota’s Corolla iM. An increase in options indicates a demand, something that Hyundai wishes to fill.

The current Elantra GT’s predecessor accounted for 10% of all Elantras sold and there’s potential for that number to increase. Crossovers may be gaining traction, but Mike Evanoff, manager-product planning for small cars for Hyundai Motor America, thinks “there’s a viable option to that CUV, and that is the compact hatchback”.

Those migrating from Hyundai sedans to CUVs/SUVs may be swayed towards the Elantra GT i what’s on offer is enticing enough and the hatchback is tempting indeed.

Utility wise, the GT’s 24.9 cu.-ft. of cargo room is more than what you’ll see in CUVs like the Toyota C-HR, Mazda CX-3, Chevy Trax, Audi Q3 and Jeep Renegade. Then there’s the long list of standard features including full LED headlights, upscale tablet-style display, advanced safety systems, DCT compatibility and more.

According to WardsAuto, Hyundai sold 208,319 Elantras last year in the U.S. alone and “there’s no real production limitation with this car", said Mike O’Brien, vice president-product, corporate and digital planning at HMA

·
Registered
244 Posts
One important part to this will be how it drives which if it does right in proportion to the competition then we could be in for a real treat. As much as I like Hyundai and want the GT, I have no problem going elsewhere if it doesn't live up to my expectations.
I bet other members here share similar views.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think overall it's sedans and coupes that are in a slump unless it's from the luxury German brands. Otherwise, everyone else is pushing out crossovers, SUVs and hatchbacks in a rapid pace because people want more cabin space.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It sure is and I see it every day when i'm out on the road, just about every new crossover/CUV/SUV that has come out is quick to show up and is easy to spot, which says a lot. Too bad that often these have one person... the driver. Have you been noticing the same thing play out?

·
Registered
83 Posts
They're touted as family cars, but most of he time it's just the same two seats being occupied and they're both in the front. I'm sure there are plenty of families who ferries more than 2 people regularly, but that doesn't seem to be the standard owner these days.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Its great for people who are starting a family or just have really minimal needs but CUV's are taking up the role that sedans used to. Even Chevy has been making the rear of its sedans a bit small, the Volt for example is too small.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Good thing the Elantra GT seems to be larger than every one of its segment rivals and there are so many standard features that you won't have to add on. Other brands are removing more and more from the basic package, forcing you to tack on additional costs and the people that are turned away from that will seek out good bang for buck models like the GT.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Good thing the Elantra GT seems to be larger than every one of its segment rivals and there are so many standard features that you won't have to add on. Other brands are removing more and more from the basic package, forcing you to tack on additional costs and the people that are turned away from that will seek out good bang for buck models like the GT.

Space matters but not nearly as much as it does with higher end segments. We're at a time that people find it easier than ever to buy a CUV. So compared to rivals, space won't matter as much to potential owners.... to me it doesn't matter. Have you seen concern for space in this segment?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Excessive space isn't necessary, but enough for comfort and storage is still important. Things like leg and headroom, cabins storage space and the trunk.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Excessive space isn't necessary, but enough for comfort and storage is still important. Things like leg and headroom, cabins storage space and the trunk.
Agree and that's where it stops. A great example of a small car that does space well is the Scion iA, I think it's smaller than the Elantra GT but if you look at the reviews its hard to find an owner that complains about space, meanwhile a lot of these folks are using the iA every day.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's how they allocate what cabin space they have for certain usage that makes a car feel spacious. Sometimes headroom may be lacking, but light colored liners can make it feel higher than it actually is. Small tricks like these can help compensate for certain things, though the Elantra doesn't really need it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
demographics play into that big time and i bet the other models they sell also factor in, easy to sacrifice on head room on a sedan when the SUV you sell a step above that sedan solves those headroom issues but only costs a couple thousand more. many factors

·
Registered
13 Posts
For some car models which offer both sedans and hatchback, I personally prefer hatchback variant just because of its exterior look. For instance, comparing Subaru Impreza's sedan and hatchback I would go for the hatchback, as for me it's just better-looking version. Same thing with a small Ford Fiesta.

·
Registered
244 Posts
For some car models which offer both sedans and hatchback, I personally prefer hatchback variant just because of its exterior look. For instance, comparing Subaru Impreza's sedan and hatchback I would go for the hatchback, as for me it's just better-looking version. Same thing with a small Ford Fiesta.
I agree and in my case the Mazda 3 hatch would get my money over the Mazda 3 sedan, other than the Elantra GT, its another model I am considering. Most people interested in the Mazda 3 can agree as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts