Hyundai Elantra GT banner

IAT's

7K views 48 replies 8 participants last post by  OG4boost 
#1 ·
Was wondering if anyone out there with a torque app or something similar would mind telling me what their IAT's run? My 2020 n line seems to run hot but I am unsure. I usually see 30 to 35 over ambient when cruising. Up to 40 plus when ran hard or sitting. For example, today the air temp was reading 59. My IAT was around 95 cruising, at some points it was over 100. Lowes I saw was a out 91 briefly. Thinking maybe I have a bad intercooler?

#3 ·
The stock IC heat soaks easily and when idling the IC doesn't cool the air because you're not moving. I have Tork Motorsports direct replacement IC and just went for a drive and cruising around it was 15 over ambient, 9 over on a little pull and 25 over after about 5 min of idling.

#4 ·
Hmm, may need to get a tork IC. Thanks for the info guys. I have been messing around with the torque lite app, and my best 0-60 time has been 6.7. On a 60 degree day. That is with a k and n panel filter, muffler delete, tork pipe, NST pulleys, lightweight wheels, pierburg WG valve, hks plugs and a bluespark set at C. I got a 6.9 once without the bluespark... timing on the app seems normal, boost levels peak at 17, everything seems to be good, just getting slow times. Car is much quicker than before the mods, but I just keep thinking something is wrong. Maybe the app 0-60 isnt accurate. It feels faster than what Im getting. I have read stock 0-60 times arounf 6.3- 6.5...

#5 ·
Seems like 17 psi is just stock boost. Are you measuring with app or with an actual boost gauge? App will not pick up actual peak boost because the bluespark "tricks" the boost signal. Getting below 6.5 0-60 is tricky on FWD cars. Are you DCT or manual.?

#6 ·
Im using an app, i figured 17 was normal, wasnt expecting a higher reading with the bluespark. Its a dct. I got 6.7 once at about 3/4 throttle going uphill. It seems like if i peg it to the floor its almost slower on average... maybe i just got a slow car

#10 ·
Did some more testing today. Aired the tires down to 33 psi, they were around 37 from the recent warm up. Had some cooler weather tonight and saw the times consistently lower. Managed a 6.3 a couple of times once earlier when it was warmer and was able to get 6.5 pretty consistently. Not terrible at least. Still wish it was reading a bit faster, but my app response may be slow, or some other factor. I also know a lot of magazines usually test with rollout which can lower times around .3 seconds from what I have read. I reset the computer yesterday when I added my HKS plugs, so I may do some more testing after a couple hundred miles and a fresh oil change. And try cranking the bluespark up a notch or 2...😎

#12 ·
Been curious about how much e85 to add. I had an e85 tune on my flex fuel impala, so I fueled it up with pure e85 on that. I know the pump says it can vary from 51 to 83 % ethanol, which flex cars can adjust for. So I'm not sure how I would know exactly what I'm putting in a car not designed for it. They do have other pumps with i30 and something else that are maybe more accurate.

#13 ·
Where are you located? If you have E30 at the pump you can fill with that!! I use 4 gallons of E85 and finish the fill with 91 oct. I have plenty E85 stations around me so I just mix. I live in Sacramento and the ethanol stays consistent year around. I ran my '06 Evo (450 whp) on straight E85 for years. Ran my '18 Fiesta ST on E30 mix (tuned). Use an E30 mix in my '20 N-line and scorcher set on race or sport +.

#23 ·
I use this calculator. Just substitute 14 gallons for the ES tank. It will provide the ratios you need. I always fill with 91 oct minimum. Usually run down my tank till fuel light comes on to get a good initial fill. Then I fill at half tank from then on using the calculator.

#29 ·
Update: just finishing up my second tank of E30. Noticeable effect in 4th and 5th gear on the highway, not much in the low gears around town. I'm going to refill today and jump my bluespark from "C" to "D" and possibly "E" depending on how the car performs

#34 ·
I'm on my 2and tank of e30. Similar conditions. Best I could pull was a 6.6. Something just has to be wrong with this damn car. Boost was reading at about 13.9. SOMETIMES I could get a 15.4. I know its actually boosting more with the bluespark. But I think it should be reading up to 17.1. ALSO, on a lot of runs, if I floor it boost would only read 10.9 maybe 12.1, but if I give it 3/4 throttle, especially going up hill I'll see 15.4. I did put on a GFB t9011 as well, figured that would only help. WTF...

Also my catch can on the pcv has a slight leak somewhere on near the hose going into the top of the can. Could that be causing any issues?

Maybe my testing equipment is bad. maybe I have a bad bluespark, I know when I first put it on I couldn't get any traction, thing ran like mad, now it's just not the same...

#35 ·
The leak is not helping. Try putting your stock BOV back on. Sounds like you changed something for the worse. Also the EBCS may be failing. Install the updated version.

#46 ·
Update on the iat sitiuatuon... maybe someone knows something. Just retrofitted an intercooler off of a veloster n, thinking it would be a cheaper alternative to torks intercooler...at first its 10 to 15 over ambient, then running hard getting iats of 40 to 45 over ambient. And when I cruise after it never gets back below 35 to 40 over. I figured since it's just slightly larger and doesn't have the shitty restrictions like the stock one, that it would cool better, not worse, especially considering I'm running higher boost with the blue spark... seriously wtf? Any ideas? Also with bluespark on E and 93ish octane only managed a 6.5 0 to 60. I think my ebcs may be bad, its the same model sxth sells. Have a n75 valve that I'll be putting on soon to see if it changes anything... modding this car is not turning out to be much fun, just always chasing gremlins it seems... maybe I just need a tune, possible the stock limiters just won't let me do what I want, even with a piggyback.

#47 ·
Does it mount in the same location with no fan pulling air when the car is hot? Its likely still getting heat soaked. I've noticed in hot weather when taking off after sitting at a long red light there's like no boost. In the winter I swear this thing has like 30 to 40 percent more power. Have you looked at all into meth injection or an aftermarket water sprayer like STI's have? I thought about rigging something up to the windshield washer reservoir since its right there and I don't have to worry about it freezing in winter.

#48 ·
Same location... Yeah, I've thought about it. After more data logging and driving it's usually around 25 to 30 above ambient when cruising. Just after a bunch of hard pulls it gets hotter, but after looking back, its similar to what the stock one was at, maybe a bit cooler... time to bypass the intake manifold coolant and get a 170 degree t Stat to see if that helps some...

#49 ·
Messing with the thermostat may cause more issues then you think you may be correcting. Modern engines use temperatures to manage the engine. 2 things I think would help you but are pricey. A Wagner style FMIC and an oil cooler. These are proven to help combat heat issues and restore some of the performance losses. Custom radiator would be another. My Evo lX would be down on power too above 95F until I upgraded to an efficient aftermarket FMIC. Meth injection is also very effective in lowering IAT's. May work well with your current set up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.