Hyundai Elantra GT banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at an Elantra GT Sport - this question is for those with the Ultimate package (in Canada) or the tech package in the US that includes the Infinity sound system.

What is your opinion on the sound quality and volume capabilities? I'm not looking to put anything aftermarket in the car (though I know it would likely produce better sound) as I like everything to look and act completely OEM and don't want to be taking up space with external amps and subwoofer boxes.

I listen to my music (mostly classic rock) pretty loud and the stock system on my current 2016 Kia Forte is frequently cranked at 40+ (out of 45 max) and it just doesn't seem particularly loud, nor is there any bass to speak of. This is the case with audio feeding from either CDs directly or an iPod hooked to the USB port. I know the latter suffers a bit from compression, but the CDs don't and they just sound meh. SiriusXM volume is much, much louder than any other source, but doesn't sound great with all the compression.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've been listening exclusively to SiriusXM (the car doesn't have a CD player and I haven't used CDs in many years). I'd say that the sound quality is OK. The sound is very clear, even at high volume. I set it to adjust volume based on speed and I have it no louder than 10 or 12 (not sure how high it goes, but I think maybe 30?). The subwoofer adds a little base, but its not a car rattling woofer like you'd get with a huge box and double 12s. The car only has 7 speakers, including the woofer, so there are limits to what is to be expected. I have no desire to upgrade anything and it sounds way better than the stock system in my 4Runner. However, if you've had a chance to listen to some of the higher end OEM systems from Cadillac, or even in the Genesis, you can clearly tell the difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For someone as old as me,:laugh: I think the quality is very good but if you are looking to listen to modern music ie rap or rock or something like that then it would be best to tune your setting on the head unit and if still that is not enough you can set the equalizer on your phone to tune it more to your liking and I'll say when I did that, Queen, Santana and Metallica sounded really nice to me and the bass was plenty good but it will not give you a concussion :D but then again that is just my opinion . I'm satisfied with the performance of the stock head unit. The quality is good enough that I am not looking to upgrade it. If for your own taste It's still not good enough someone in this forum upgraded the amp, speakers and sub and that may just do it for you . All in all it's a very good quality system to make our daily commute a lot more fun when driving our already fun little hatchback.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I quite enjoy the sound system on my ultimate.

I had a 2017 hyundai tucson W/O the sound package and it sounded okay. The gt sprt's infinity sounds system is pretty good stock. I do have my treble at +2, mid at +2 and bass at +8 and it is nice and crisp. enough bass for me without rattling the car or giving my passengers a headache. I personally will keep the sound system stock, but of course it is all personal preference and you may prefer it with a little more bass. The volume can be cranked to ear splitting volumes without being distorted or crackling, which is a plus because i enjoy it loud.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can anyone confirm the location of the tweeters? Curious to see if the tweeters are actually on the dash at the base of the windshield. On the non tech pkg GTS they are fake grills.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can anyone confirm the location of the tweeters? Curious to see if the tweeters are actually on the dash at the base of the windshield. On the non tech pkg GTS they are fake grills.
Nevermind, I learned today that I do have tweeters in the dash. lol

·
Registered
7 Posts

Wait I have the non tech package, the grills up by the windshield are not tweeters? What the heck, I though the location was a bit strange most treble speakers are located by the mirrors closer to your ears. I do think its the worst sound system I've ever had personally.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Wait I have the non tech package, the grills up by the windshield are not tweeters? What the heck, I though the location was a bit strange most treble speakers are located by the mirrors closer to your ears. I do think its the worst sound system I've ever had personally.
No they are. For some reason I didn’t think they were. But I guess it makes sense because we have a 6 speaker system and the tech package is a 7 speaker system. Which is just a subwoofer. But I have to agree. I am not happy with the stock system. I feel like it has to be up really loud to get any detail out of my music and even then it’s still lacking. Currently pricing out speakers. Sorry OP not trying to thread jack.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It would have been nice to Hyundai Canada to offer the upgrade Infinity in the GT Sport Manual. the stock is not not powerful enough and i will most lilley add an under seat slim sub to improve it.

any recommendations?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts