Hyundai Elantra GT banner

Issue with check engine light flashing and loss of acceleration and power .. this is

12K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Deathjam4 
#1 ·
Just got this yesterday .. and engine light flashed .. and no acceleration or power .. this has happened multiple times since I have gotten my 2019 Hyundai Elantra GT N Line
Has anyone else had this issue and or got fixed by dealership.. please advise .. Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry but reading your posts, and your dealer experience, I really think you should get your paperwork together and prepare for a Lemon Law suit.

There are SO many factors that can work into what you're experiencing, and I'm hoping that the dealer did BOTH a compression test AND replaced all of the coilpacks.

#3 ·
I would have thought they would have done that too.. but no compression test .. and they didnt replace any coil packs ... they just moved spark plugs around till code went away .. After talking with other hyundai owners on Facebook hyundai group ..seems that a lot of hyundai elantra gt n line owners have had this same recurring issue !! But Hyundai customer service and the dealers are not aware of it .. this I dont believe.. I'm sure they are aware .. just got an appointment with orig dealer in NC to go in this Tues.. we will see how it goes .. and lemon law looks like a possibility..if this doesnt resolve

#9 ·
I had a engine light .. but it flashed and only stayed on for less then a minute .. the very first time it happened and 2 other times after the orig.. got a flashing engine light .. then it went off .. trouble codes for multiple misfire. & and individual cylinders 1 2 & 3.... yes it's like Limp mode .. no acceleration.. or power .. limited rpms

#11 ·
I'm having similar issues in my 2018 elantra gt sport. It's seriously been making me waste lots of time and money trying to get the dealership to monkey around the problem.

Any updates on your situation with the lemon law lawsuit?

(Not sure how that applies here in California...)

#12 ·
Had the same problem with my 2020 EGT NL with tech pkg. Looks like everyone with the GDI 1.6-T engine (Veloster R-Spec and some SUVs, etc.) is having the same problems. That's why there's a wait for parts...

Quick fix for 'limp mode': pull off to the side of the road, shut down and open door for 15 secs to discharge. Restart car, and voila...

You'll be back in regular drive mode, at least until you pull a moderate accel (c. 5K RPM) to pass or enter on-ramp. Then, it's likely to misfire into limp mode again. Wash, rinse, repeat. Very Skoda-esque, busted POS situation...

Went to dealer for service late May 2021 (1st 5K miles!), and the tech said the coil packs were substandard junk and had been replaced with a different manufacturer's coil. Had to limp/restart/drive like a Skoda for a week to get one coil replaced with the new make; 1-week wait for the other 3 (took actual 3 weeks and a lot of phone stalking). After cylinder-1 coil replacement, still hesitant in spots, but no more limp-mode and much improved performance, to include the ability to properly accelerate on passes & ramp climbs...

Interestingly, after the other 3 packs were installed, GT still performed as it had with only 1 new coil. Pulled the engine cover and all 4 packs had identical thin layer of dust on them. Makes me think the 3 new coil packs were never actually installed...

I am now searching for aftermarket coil packs that I'll install myself...

If anybody knows of good ones that don't fail almost immediately, that'd be good info to have and I'll share here whatever I come up with.

Thanks for reading this long post.

#14 ·
to bad i never seen this post a bit sooner. It sounds lto be of a similar nature to how my 2019 nline was performing. i would suggest heading over to my thread in here for a smooth running car its very informative and describes all the issues i had with my car and i recently updated it wit ha video showing how you can use seafoam or crc valve cleaner. But basically in a nut shell i have already been forced to use valve cleaner twice now, to clean the valve seats if anything else (alot of users have had dirty valve seats cause this limp mode issue). clean my main throttle body a number of times, install a catch can to reduce junk particles into the engine intake, replaced coils with msd coils (replaces the substandard garbage that is coils), replaced plugs with hks40xl for higher temp range, Tighten the oil feed tube to my turbo (this caused my car to limp mode with no flashing lights), and i use injector cleaner in the car every so often due to buildup (which also causes limp mode if the injectors are firieing unevenly), i also had to change to 5w40 oil instead of the recommended 5w30 due to it causing limp mode cause it was to thin for the turbo inn these cars. i used to get alot of junk in my catch can no matter what but at this point and time its now constantly dry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.