Hyundai Elantra GT banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 18' GTS (Canadian Top Trim) and im looking at purchasing the Lap3 tuned ECU. My question is will this void my warranty? If I purchase a completly new tuned ECU and swap them if I need to; for example needed service done on the car at my dealership. Can I do that?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've heard of people getting denied because of tampering around the ECU (i.e paint missing off of bolt, wiring clips tampered etc.)
I would probably take the chance of not getting caught. Really depends on how the dealers handle the situation. If you have a good dealership you should be okay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They might know if I swapped the tuned ECU out for the stock ECU for service. Dont know how they would fugure it out. I might just straight up ask service next time I go. Anyone have a LAP3 tuned ECU in their GTS by chance? Would like to know their thoughts on it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
They might know if I swapped the tuned ECU out for the stock ECU for service. Dont know how they would fugure it out. I might just straight up ask service next time I go. Anyone have a LAP3 tuned ECU in their GTS by chance? Would like to know their thoughts on it.

@iammarkus has one. Maybe they'll chime in.

I doubt they'd notice if you swapped back your original ECU, but there could be some sort of detection mechanic in the OEM ECU that says 'I've been disconnected for x amount of time'

·
Registered
72 Posts
How would they know you tuned it -- if you put back the stock ECU?
The stock head unit's secret engineering mode has the option to dump system log files to a connected USB drive. It might be worth looking at what kind of data is in there, but the dealership might have access to even more logging than that. Whether or not they would check it or use it to invalidate a warranty is always the question, though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The stock head unit's secret engineering mode has the option to dump system log files to a connected USB drive. It might be worth looking at what kind of data is in there, but the dealership might have access to even more logging than that. Whether or not they would check it or use it to invalidate a warranty is always the question, though.
Yeah I suppose there's two questions:

1) Is there a second ECU or eMMC that stores logs?

2) Does the stock ECU have a way to detect that it's been swapped?

·
Registered
17 Posts
As I understand the law, Hyundai (or any OEM) can only deny warranty coverage if they can prove that the modification you did caused a defect in the vehicle. The burden of proof is on them. If you think the tune will still allow the vehicle to run problem-free, then you have nothing to worry about. If you're worried that the tune might cause the vehicle to start acting up, then you can probably forget about the powertrain warranty (at least).

·
Registered
88 Posts
As I understand the law, Hyundai (or any OEM) can only deny warranty coverage if they can prove that the modification you did caused a defect in the vehicle. The burden of proof is on them. If you think the tune will still allow the vehicle to run problem-free, then you have nothing to worry about. If you're worried that the tune might cause the vehicle to start acting up, then you can probably forget about the powertrain warranty (at least).
Are these DCT designed to handle that much more hp/ torque in the long run? I could easily a Dealer deny DCT warranty service and probably other drivetrain components if they knew you were using this type of tuning device.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I figured I would chime in here since I had warranty work done(Hyundai seized my engine under an oil pressure test), a lot of it including engine replacement and turbo replacement, on my 2016 Veloster turbo. I was on the stage 0 tune (awesome btw) from Sxth Element Engineering the entire time this went on.

This tune was done at a meet where he removed my ECU, opened it up and used touch sensors to change the maps in my ECU. He explained at the time the only way Hyundai would know it was tuned is if they watched the maps in real time. This car was lemon lawed and was still giving me problems when I traded it in for my 2020 N line. I recently reached out to Sxth about tune options and specifically asked about the dealer being able to detect it. The head of their tuning department said they make no claims that it's undetectable because the dealership has a tool they can use to see the tune. I'm not sure if this in response to changing the way they do their tunes(it's done with a dongle).

So, while I have had great success in getting massive amounts of warranty work done on a tuned vehicle, I'm leaning more towards the Gan or scorcher units for my new car

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm also leaning toward the GAN/Scorcher myself, since I keep hearing and seeing good things. Plus I'd rather have something easily removable and re-sellable, since I am probably not keeping my N-Line when the lease is up (though my partner is keeping his '18 Sport, so we'll still have one of these in the stable).

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm also leaning toward the GAN/Scorcher myself, since I keep hearing and seeing good things. Plus I'd rather have something easily removable and re-sellable, since I am probably not keeping my N-Line when the lease is up (though my partner is keeping his '18 Sport, so we'll still have one of these in the stable).
The Scorcher is great so far for me. I've never hit the "Race" mode tune though as running 93 all the time is hekkin expensive.

Sport+ has quite noticeable gains and really takes this car to where I feel like it should have been from the factory.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The Scorcher is great so far for me. I've never hit the "Race" mode tune though as running 93 all the time is hekkin expensive.

Sport+ has quite noticeable gains and really takes this car to where I feel like it should have been from the factory.

Sounds good. I can't get 93 in California, so a tune for that is of no use to me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts