Hyundai Elantra GT banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any update on this one? I've had what I think is the same issue since day 1. The car feels like it's leaning out around 3k when not so aggressively accelerating on the highway and other places.
I have it in and out of the shop for months. They've replaced coils, plugs and even the transmission. It's still happening and it's very difficult for the tech to duplicate it and they usually just give me the car back and look at me like an idiot. I'd like nothing more than to narrow down what's going on.
You need to send them notice that you are making a Lemon Law claim and requesting them to finally fix the problem, or buy back the car. I've been down this road before. If you've got more than 2 visits for the same problem, you should have ample evidence under your state's law. Any citizen can do this, you don't need a lawyer, but usually when formally provided the intent to pursue this, with the evidence/documentation, most dealerships will either really quickly fix the problem (as in making an actual effort) or buy it back. I've had a 100% success rate by sending certified/registered mail, so someone signs for it at where you are sending it. That means you have legally sent them notice. Although you may say to a service manager that you've been in there 3 times or some other person, it doesn't really matter until you put it in formal correspondence. In court, you'll be able to show that you notified them of the issue, by formal correspondence. That is usually pretty powerful. Although I've gone down this road with a car a few times, I've used it in many other walks of life (I'm not a lawyer, but I work with them). Any half-a$$ legal department will realize it's better to just fix the issue/buy back rather than try to fight it, and when you have a problem that meets the definition of the lemon law, you'll cream the ones in court that are too stupid to do the right thing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I called Hyundai National customer service . They acted like the dealer should fix it , but that's why I'm calling I said .. they just did this ..since it had a P03000 random misfire code: said coils 2/4 misfired , tech switched 1 and 3 misfire stayed on 2. Then tech moved #2 plug to #1 cylinder and misfire went away .... so they did the trouble shooting steps .. but then just left it ...no new plugs or coils installed or advised that they would do that ...

So national hyundai customer service rep said he was ok'd by his boss to send me a $100 gift card .. then 3 days later he said they had a meeting and hyundai said they could not send out due to covid 19 ... a bunch is BS ... they had already promised me to send it ..prior to their meeting !!

So now trying to speak to service manager at hyundai .. where they did orig trouble shooting to see if they can do anything .. had taken it to another dealership but they said no codes and so they didnt do anything ... I had told them the orig tech had also said he saw carbon build up on the plugs ..that was at aprox 3600 miles ..when they saw the P03000 code

Frustrating ... just want it fixed and not patched

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is BS! I would kill for a code to be thrown. I'm hoping I can have a tech ride with me this weekend because they can't seem to figure out what I'm talking about. I have a crappy scanner and I had to take photos of the crappy graph. You can see where the boost is at 100% and the O2 sensor isn't reading enough fuel, then it jumps up to .9v at about 3200 rpm and smooths out.

I called Hyundai National customer service . They acted like the dealer should fix it , but that's why I'm calling I said .. they just did this ..since it had a P03000 random misfire code: said coils 2/4 misfired , tech switched 1 and 3 misfire stayed on 2. Then tech moved #2 plug to #1 cylinder and misfire went away .... so they did the trouble shooting steps .. but then just left it ...no new plugs or coils installed or advised that they would do that ...

So national hyundai customer service rep said he was ok'd by his boss to send me a $100 gift card .. then 3 days later he said they had a meeting and hyundai said they could not send out due to covid 19 ... a bunch is BS ... they had already promised me to send it ..prior to their meeting !!

So now trying to speak to service manager at hyundai .. where they did orig trouble shooting to see if they can do anything .. had taken it to another dealership but they said no codes and so they didnt do anything ... I had told them the orig tech had also said he saw carbon build up on the plugs ..that was at aprox 3600 miles ..when they saw the P03000 code

Frustrating ... just want it fixed and not patched

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
You don't call at that point. There's no recording/record of the call and topics. You send them a certified mail letter and ask them to respond via written correspondence, give them something reasonable like 7 business days to respond and rectify the situation. This tends to get results because again, in court, you'll show that you informed them and they did not fix it. Plain as day.

It's unfortunate that we have to elevate things like this, but it's necessary sometimes. I had tow-truck mess up my car when it towed it out of a ditch...but really that was my fault, there was no way it was going to get out of that ditch unscathed or without damage, so I couldn't blame the tow-company for it. I had a glass-installer scratch my instrument cluster on my BMW though, that part was $1500 and they were really lazy about wanting to fix it, so they got a letter, and yeah they straightened out pretty fast. It got even worse when the BMW dealership parked my car after installing the cluster and scrapped my lower bumper/air-dam, messing it up, so I went back into the same mode, taking pictures, gathering evidence, etc. They fixed it up right away, but the unfortunately reality is you have to protect yourself and know when to handle situations like an "investigation" and stop "hoping" that they are going to do the right thing without any intervention.

Hopefully this all ends well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks for the info regarding what to do

New issue: I was checking my airfilter last month and noticed on the inside of the air intake (stock ) there was what felt like oil .. not a lot ..but it was just on the inside of the hose that goes to the engine .. on inside of the air filter box ... ERG valve going bad ? .. but only have 26k on the car ..so it shouldn't be going bad this soon ..usually more around 80k plus miles ... any thoughts what else it might be ????

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for the info regarding what to do

New issue: I was checking my airfilter last month and noticed on the inside of the air intake (stock ) there was what felt like oil .. not a lot ..but it was just on the inside of the hose that goes to the engine .. on inside of the air filter box ... ERG valve going bad ? .. but only have 26k on the car ..so it shouldn't be going bad this soon ..usually more around 80k plus miles ... any thoughts what else it might be ????

That's typical. This is why people are installing catch-cans.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
And again same issue : Just driving home and got a engine light flashed a couple of times ..then went off .. had previous issue ..just like this at about 3k .. now have 33k and happening again .. the dealership just swapped plugs at 3k and fault code went away ..and that's all they did ..after some research on my own .. swapping plugs or coils are trouble shooting steps to isolate the issuec.. see attached from my reader I have attached to car ( bought it after the initial issue ) and using Torque app with the reader..Has anyone else had this issue with Hyundai Elantra GT N Line ..mine is 2019 .. also I had alignment checked after dealer had done alignment a month ago ..and it's out again ..shouldn't be out already ..especially since I do 80% highway driving .. urggggh..
Any suggestions or other members having these issues ?? Please let me know..
Thanks Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welp. My car got rear ended! It sucked. They didn't total it, and everyone is ok, but that means I still have to deal with this issue when I get it back... However, I have an interesting observation: my rental car, while mine is at the body shop, is a regular-assed 2019 Elantra. NA cvt model. It also has a slight hesitation in the 2k-3k rev range. It only has 10k on it. I'm curious to see if it's got the same coils. I'd like to pop it open and look at it, but I'm afraid they'll know somehow. Also, here's for your viewing enjoyment. Tough little car. This was a FedEx truck going about 35. I was stopped.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Welp. My car got rear ended! It sucked. They didn't total it, and everyone is ok, but that means I still have to deal with this issue when I get it back... However, I have an interesting observation: my rental car, while mine is at the body shop, is a regular-assed 2019 Elantra. NA cvt model. It also has a slight hesitation in the 2k-3k rev range. It only has 10k on it. I'm curious to see if it's got the same coils. I'd like to pop it open and look at it, but I'm afraid they'll know somehow. Also, here's for your viewing enjoyment. Tough little car. This was a FedEx truck going about 35. I was stopped.

May have the same coils, but that's a false equivalency because it's a different engine, with a different transmission, on a different platform.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hi .. just an update .. had flashing CEL on may 27 2020 .. car is at dealership.. they are not sure what the issue is .. looks like 1 ignition coil may be replaced... so far since oct 2019 .. 3 different misfires on 3 of 4 cylinders.. much time and time off work spent .. going to the dealerships .. and the frustrations when the flashing CEL .. causes the lack of acceleration and power ... but will see next week if they find anything else with the car

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi .. just an update .. had flashing CEL on may 27 2020 .. car is at dealership.. they are not sure what the issue is .. looks like 1 ignition coil may be replaced... so far since oct 2019 .. 3 different misfires on 3 of 4 cylinders.. much time and time off work spent .. going to the dealerships .. and the frustrations when the flashing CEL .. causes the lack of acceleration and power ... but will see next week if they find anything else with the car
Good luck!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not sure were you are from?? But check into your Lemon laws. You can't be far off. And a little reminder of such to your Dealer might peak their sense of urgency to get it right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not sure were you are from?? But check into your Lemon laws. You can't be far off. And a little reminder of such to your Dealer might peak their sense of urgency to get it right.
Lemon laws are rubbish. It's a huge pain. I went though the whole process here in Ohio for this car. Takes months. Could lose money by an appraiser and if you owe more than the cars worth, you gotta pay upfront. Then you have to go through the whole buying process again. Not consumer friendly. I ended up keeping it because who has time for all that. I'm sure by the time they actually fix it they'll have spent more than just giving me a new one. All of my research points to bad coils. With proper tools, they can diagnose a faulty coil in minutes, but I doubt they do it at the dealership. I feel a class action suit on the rise

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lemon laws are rubbish. It's a huge pain. I went though the whole process here in Ohio for this car. Takes months. Could lose money by an appraiser and if you owe more than the cars worth, you gotta pay upfront. Then you have to go through the whole buying process again. Not consumer friendly. I ended up keeping it because who has time for all that. I'm sure by the time they actually fix it they'll have spent more than just giving me a new one. All of my research points to bad coils. With proper tools, they can diagnose a faulty coil in minutes, but I doubt they do it at the dealership. I feel a class action suit on the rise

I lemon lawed my car and it was a grand total of about one hours worth of work on my end. The lawyer handled the rest and I got a settlement of a couple grand. Kept my car, kept my loan etc. It was actually pretty easy.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Any updates?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
There are ways to diagnose issues ..but dealership seems to go by only the computer reader tests ..and doesnt go further .. no code .then no issue .. not saying they all do ..but the 2 I've taken it too .. that is all they have said they have done .. would be nice if they would contact hyundai corp and tell them ..hey we have an issue here .. what can we do to get it resolved so the customer doesnt have to keep returning over and over

·
Registered
11 Posts
At some point, I'm going to get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TD5JYE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_iOfcFb9DDYNDQ

If it helps, I'd be willing to ship it out and share it with y'all. This nonsense must stop.

There are ways to diagnose issues ..but dealership seems to go by only the computer reader tests ..and doesnt go further .. no code .then no issue .. not saying they all do ..but the 2 I've taken it too .. that is all they have said they have done .. would be nice if they would contact hyundai corp and tell them ..hey we have an issue here .. what can we do to get it resolved so the customer doesnt have to keep returning over and over

21 - 40 of 56 Posts