Hyundai Elantra GT banner

MSD Blaster Series coil pack blows fuse

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Sence 
#1 ·
So, I was accelerating from a light under moderate load in second gear. Car just died, car had fuel, gorgeous clean oil, good battery, no codes thrown. Would crank but not turn over. After looking at what I thought were all the fuses related to ignition I gave up and had it towed to hyundai. Tech states the MSD coil packs are pulling too much voltage and tripped the only ignition related fuse I didn't look at apparently.
Has anybody running the black MSD blaster series had the same issue? Is there a resistor or something I can put in to combat the issue?

#2 ·
So, I was accelerating from a light under moderate load in second gear. Car just died, car had fuel, gorgeous clean oil, good battery, no codes thrown. Would crank but not turn over. After looking at what I thought were all the fuses related to ignition I gave up and had it towed to hyundai. Tech states the MSD coil packs are pulling too much voltage and tripped the only ignition related fuse I didn't look at apparently.
Has anybody running the black MSD blaster series had the same issue? Is there a resistor or something I can put in to combat the issue?
If it happens again you might have a coil bad (out of the box). Another thing to look at is the coils have di-electric compound on the boots. Did MSD provide with the coils? It helps in preventing "flash over" which can cause same issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.