Hyundai Elantra GT banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone vandalized my rear windshield while car was parked out on the street in front of the school I work at. What is the best way to get it fixed/replaced? The entire thing is shattered and it looks like the tint is holding it together for now...

Should I go to the nearest Hyundai dealership? Or local auto glass shop?(I came out to my car around 6:40pm and most shops are closed).

Also, should I file claim on my insurance?(cost of replacement + rental car?)

Any tips on what I should do, would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dealership should be able to give you an estimate over the phone. I suspect it will be 50% or more higher that than an independent auto glass company. Some Indy auto glass business are mobile, My last car (mazda 6) had the front windshield replaced in the parking lot of my employer. Look for one that offers that service. You might ask if they use OEM glass as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Also, a quick Google search found that the average rear glass repair for a car is $325. If your Ins. deductible is $500 it is a mute point. If it's $250 than is the possible increase in premiums with a claim worth it to put $75 back in your pocket? Those are questions to ask your Ins company.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both, for the info. Will call around local glass repair shops tomorrow. Btw, I found out (from cctv footage from school) that the damage was caused by some people who were playing baseball in a soccer field that is across from the street where I parked...in the video, they approached the car to inspect damage and just left...should I file a police report?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts