Hyundai Elantra GT banner

Stereo install. Speaker, amps, subwoofer

11K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Purplehazeffc 
#1 ·
Well here we go.. I guess time has come to start the Stereo install
Looking over the car. it doesn't look like it is going to be a lot of fun..
The main problem I have ATM, Is finding a way from the battery ti the interior to run the "0" gauge power cable.
Looking from either the engine bay or under the dash, there is not a great deal of room, or a grommet to use.

I think everything else look straight forward. The doors will need a mount made up to mount the speakers to them.
Getting the source speaker cables should also be easy to find. Running cables from the front to rear & rear back to front
is quite easy as well. The side panels come off so simple. So on that part it will be pretty easy..
Getting the power from the battery to the rear hatch floor. Not so easy..

Anyway.. Yesterday & this morning I mounted the amps under the rear floor shelf. I made up the MDF board a couple of weeks ago.
As you can see in the pics. I have mounded it on hinges. So there will be easy access to the spare wheel.
I will also be putting in straps with a hook type clip. So it can then be clipped onto the ISOFIX mounts on the back of the rear seats.
So then you won't have to hold up the amp shelf while trying to get out the spare wheel. If needed. Prefer not to need the spare wheel :rofl:

Taking out the rear seats is also so easy. Just one bolt & the backrests can just pop out. The bolt is in between where the seat splits, when laid down.
Then lift the smaller side slightly up & then push away from the door side. It will pop off a pin. Then just do the same from the other side.
The bottom rear seat is then held in by to bolts at the rear. Then there are 2 clips where you just pull up at the front & it pops out.
There is then plenty of room to mount the Power Distribution Block that goes from 0 gauge to dual 4 gauge. Also good bolt locations to get a good ground.

So all in all it looks to be a pretty simple install to do. If you have done stereo installs before. Except for the main power cable. Will work on that..

Here are a couple of pics so far of the MDF shelving & amp & electronic locations.. The blocks that the hinges are mounted to will be painted black.
Plus a few other clean up stuff to do.. Also what to change over the bolts & screws to black. And to clean up under the board a bit better.

But in doing all of this. And now having the car for just over a month now. I'm quite underwhelmed by the performance of the factory stereo.
The way the system works is very good. The screen quality is also very good. But the difference in volume is not good.
DAB radio volume is a lot lower than FM, Big difference between music from USB compared to Bluetooth & also if using Android Auto.

So This is going to be more of a long term project. Back to work tomorrow for 12hrs of absolute fun. So won't be able to do much for the next week or so.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
The pine blocks are just attached there by using Liquid Nails. Liquid Nails® High Strength | Selleys Australia
I left it for a couple of weeks before I attached anything to them.. So far Iv'e not had any trouble at all..

I was having trouble with the Vibe Electronic Crossover.. So now that has been removed. And I put in place some A/D/S 346cs crossovers.
Also the 4ch amp now has been bridged to put out 200w per/ch. I also layed out the components a little better

I 100% agree with @hyundaiguy. Get quality components. After a fair bit of usage, mine are not that to hot to touch..

Attachments

#9 ·
So where do you suggest a good ground point back in the trunk area?? Currently mine is grounded to the bolt holding the passenger side of the rear seat cushion down...Idk if it's related or not but I get a lot of whining especially when on the gas and Ik bad grounds can cause that but I'm not sure if mine is lol I got a noise filter for the radio but I don't wanna install it if I don't have to and can return it...

#10 ·
Mine is in the same location as you have mentioned.. Just need to make sure you sand all the paint off. So there is a good metal to metal contact..
I don't get any noise whatsoever through mine.. A cpl of pics to show what I've done

Attachments

#15 ·
Giving the fact that a year and a half has passed since your last post on your stereo system, I would like to get an update from you. Also, judging by the color of your car, I would say you have really good taste. I've never been into all this installation thing, and if I need to change something, I take my car to the nearest auto service and pray that I get a bill that won't hurt too much. By the way, I think this purple seat cushion I found reading this review from https://atfulldrive.com/purple-seat-cushion-review would fit perfectly with your phoenix orange car.

#16 ·
It's been just over 2 years now since the original stereo installation.. And I have had no problems at all.
Everything has run smoothly.. But since the Amps were from my previous car, & are now around 10 years old. It's time for an upgrade..

I've decided to go with products from Helix, made by the German company Audiotec Fischer. And will be my 1st install using a DSP.
I have already received 1 amp & now just waiting on the 2nd amp & DSP to be delivered.. Along with a bunch of Stinger RCA's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.