Hyundai Elantra GT banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Final note:
Because I'm not unappreciative of the inputs of others, I changed the plugs back to stock NGK SILZKR8E8G plugs. With the MSD coils, TDI turbo tuner and Gumout, the car still performs as I had originally hoped, though perhaps not quite as spirited as with the Bosch plugs -- by a mere touch -- gauged by the seat of my pants only.

Happy motoring!

-zed

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello, I am not familiar with Hyundai's process of doing things. Always had older GM products. Anyway my N Line is leased so I have to be careful not to break anything. LOL Ok onto my question. I am assuming the coil packs are on top of the engine and it looks like a bolt keeps them in. The coil packs just pop on the spark plug? I really need a service manual. LOL I have worked on my own cars for a long time. I had a 88 Fiero that I drove for 10 years and over 100k. I did all the repairs on that and also the 87 Fiero GT with 3800SC motor that replaced the 88. I am thinking of doing the regane and the spark plugs as I am getting tired of what I would call a hesitation or flat spot on partial throttle. I replaced the air cleaner element also with a AFE performance unit. I took the ugly plastic engine cover off. I have noticed the exhaust sounds a little louder, LOL now that I have some miles on the car. Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Midenginedriver:
Yeah, that "flat spot" kinda stays there... unless you go into the DCT's manual shift mode (pull the gear selector lever toward the driver's side) and then keep the revs above 4,500 RPM in a shift. You'll feel it kick really nicely around 5K, then upshift at 6k RPM (redline is 7K RPM, btw). That'll smooth that flat response out nicely, when you're trying to go really fast -- say, around all those unconscious slowpokes driving in herds and clogging up your freeway.

For the most part, though, I just stay in full-auto and punch it, after using the paddles to downshift a couple-three gears to get the revs up into the 4K's. With my setup, that takes care of most of the run-of-the-mill weenies. The fine-control manual method I reserve for on-ramps and muscle car drivers that don't understand the principle of inertia (big-bore, twin-turbo diesel pickup trucks are especially hilarious, cuz of all the engine-roar rapidly fading away into my six o'clock).

And yes, the little black square caps sitting 4 in a row atop the engine are the coil packs. I had all kinds of problems with misfires and limp-mode -- even when driving like an aged grandma -- until I replaced them with proper MSD (manufacturer) coil-overs from Summit Racing. You simply unscrew the retaining bolt on the old ones and then pull them out approximately 4 inches. To put new ones in, just reverse the process. Simple and effective.

The TDI turbo tuner, OTOH, has literally turned my 2020 GT N-Line into an I30 N. It's so fast, it can honestly be a little scary... but, I LIKE that.

Hope this helps.

-zed

·
Registered
42 Posts
Midenginedriver:
Yeah, that "flat spot" kinda stays there... unless you go into the DCT's manual shift mode (pull the gear selector lever toward the driver's side) and then keep the revs above 4,500 RPM in a shift. You'll feel it kick really nicely around 5K, then upshift at 6k RPM (redline is 7K RPM, btw). That'll smooth that flat response out nicely, when you're trying to go really fast -- say, around all those unconscious slowpokes driving in herds and clogging up your freeway.

For the most part, though, I just stay in full-auto and punch it, after using the paddles to downshift a couple-three gears to get the revs up into the 4K's. With my setup, that takes care of most of the run-of-the-mill weenies. The fine-control manual method I reserve for on-ramps and muscle car drivers that don't understand the principle of inertia (big-bore, twin-turbo diesel pickup trucks are especially hilarious, cuz of all the engine-roar rapidly fading away into my six o'clock).

And yes, the little black square caps sitting 4 in a row atop the engine are the coil packs. I had all kinds of problems with misfires and limp-mode -- even when driving like an aged grandma -- until I replaced them with proper MSD (manufacturer) coil-overs from Summit Racing. You simply unscrew the retaining bolt on the old ones and then pull them out approximately 4 inches. To put new ones in, just reverse the process. Simple and effective.

The TDI turbo tuner, OTOH, has literally turned my 2020 GT N-Line into an I30 N. It's so fast, it can honestly be a little scary... but, I LIKE that.

Hope this helps.

-zed
Thanks for the info. I will look into the MSD's. I have the 6 speed manual. Seems to be more prevalent lately.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello, I am not familiar with Hyundai's process of doing things. Always had older GM products. Anyway my N Line is leased so I have to be careful not to break anything. LOL Ok onto my question. I am assuming the coil packs are on top of the engine and it looks like a bolt keeps them in. The coil packs just pop on the spark plug? I really need a service manual. LOL I have worked on my own cars for a long time. I had a 88 Fiero that I drove for 10 years and over 100k. I did all the repairs on that and also the 87 Fiero GT with 3800SC motor that replaced the 88. I am thinking of doing the regane and the spark plugs as I am getting tired of what I would call a hesitation or flat spot on partial throttle. I replaced the air cleaner element also with a AFE performance unit. I took the ugly plastic engine cover off. I have noticed the exhaust sounds a little louder, LOL now that I have some miles on the car. Thanks
LOL so simple took one off easy as pie. Dont know what I was afraid of breaking. LOL When I get some free time I will check the gaps on the plugs. I am assuming the gaps mentioned are inches.? I am using the Regane now

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well this weekend I had some spare time and regapped the spark plugs to 25 thousandths. They were close to 30. Man what a difference. I dont know if it is just me wishing and imagining the outcome or if it really is different. Now that I have had the time to drive the car for a few days and put some miles on it, it really is different. The exhaust note is different, seems more pronounced and the little back fire/pop that I get is now louder. Throttle seems to be more responsive. Engine seems to rev up a little faster than before. I keep thinking how could this improvement be possible as all I did was narrowed the spark plug gap. I keep thinking of the combustion process and how does this change the process. I am thinking may be it is like advancing the timing a little on an engine. Anyway it has made a little difference, but enough that you can feel the difference.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well this weekend I had some spare time and regapped the spark plugs to 25 thousandths. They were close to 30. Man what a difference. I dont know if it is just me wishing and imagining the outcome or if it really is different. Now that I have had the time to drive the car for a few days and put some miles on it, it really is different. The exhaust note is different, seems more pronounced and the little back fire/pop that I get is now louder. Throttle seems to be more responsive. Engine seems to rev up a little faster than before. I keep thinking how could this improvement be possible as all I did was narrowed the spark plug gap. I keep thinking of the combustion process and how does this change the process. I am thinking may be it is like advancing the timing a little on an engine. Anyway it has made a little difference, but enough that you can feel the difference.
I found too that gapping my plugs a bit tighter helped idle and performance. I run @ .027. I haven't changed my COP's yet as really haven't seen the need too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I found too that gapping my plugs a bit tighter helped idle and performance. I run @ .027. I haven't changed my COP's yet as really haven't seen the need too.
Just do it it sucks when they go. I was at 49,390 KM at the start of the summer and when they went it scarred the living shit outa me. It was of coarse before a long weekend. Code was misfire on cyl 1 so I switched 1 and 2 coils but the fault stayed on cyl 1. Called the dealer and hyundai customer line. Both said spark plugs are never warranty... Really ? Threw a set of NGK 1422's gapped @ .25 and same issue. Took to dealer ended up who ended up replacing 3 of 4 coils and scratched my hood in the process. Wish I never went back to the dealer and just ordered the MSD's which I am going to anyway not taking a chance with the mando oem junk.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts