Hyundai Elantra GT banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Snatched up the last one in my area. Excited but also nervous. Saw very few for a good price anywhere in my region and even less manuals, so i gave the dsg a shot. Its true. Quick sporty Hyundai's in general seem to be lacking in #s everywhere. Try finding a stinger w the rebate. Closest one to me was 400mi away.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Headlamp Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N-Line w/Tech package
37 Posts
I leased a 2020 Manual last month. I previously was leasing a 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport. Which is well liked by all the car magazines. The window sticker on a 2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport the same as what I had 2017, is about the same as the new 2020 Elantra GT N Line I just leased! Let me just say I am finding the GT N Line to have better brakes, More power, handling is as good or better than the Civic, and the interior, there is just no comparison! The Civic does not have Leather, heated seats, XM Radio, assist handles and a few more. I like the larger data screen and the fact it has knobs! The heated mirrors with turn signals are nice. I could list more, but mainly I am finding for the MSRP of both vehicles the Hyundai Elantra GT N Line is a better car. Oh I have a small garage, seems the builders are building the new homes with smaller garages and the Civic just fit in the garage. The Elantra is shorter and I now can walk behind it with the garage door down. My wife likes the red accents in the interior, they really did a good job of putting a Sporty interior in the N Line. I really enjoy the 201 HP vs the 180 in the Civic. I find I need to "learn" the positions of the gears better. That is the only thing I think could be improved. I haven't seen any N Lines here in GR. Even the local Hyundai dealer doesn't have one. They have a hand full of Volester Ns. The dealer I got mine from had a Black N Line. They dealer traded for the "Red" as Hyundai calls the maroonish color that I leased.
Well, now you know someone else that owns one in your general vicinity. Though I've seen one, maybe two since I've got mine (not sure all are N-Line models though).

2019 Elantra GT N-Line in Summit Gray with tech package, purchased a month ago with 7,500 miles on it. I also have owned the Civic (2016 EX Sedan). Purchased down in Benton Harbor. Could have gotten a new 2020 N-Line with the DCT but no tech package in Kalamazoo, but it was in white which would not be my first color choice (the gray looks a lot nicer).

Pros to the Civic:
  • Has Active Torque Vectoring (controls wheel slip out of corners better for this reason)
  • Better driving position, especially for tall drivers (I'm 6'4", long legs), and it fit like a glove. The N-Line has taken more work to get adjusted to fit my legs, without (even when fully extended) making the wheel position harder on my right shoulder. And when I have the wheel position just right, I'd like a little bit more clearance for my legs, and for where my knees are. I've done a lot of adjusting.
  • The stereo speakers (8, but no sub, just four tweeters, and four midranges) were better. However, they were good enough to make me wonder if my car (which I bought three months used with 1200 miles on it) had aftermarkets and I didn't know it. There was plenty of thump, I found it really impressive for OEM, thus my wondering.
  • More USB ports. Hyundai really needs a second charge-only USB port in the console, so a passenger can charge their phone.
-Better fuel economy.

Pros to the Hyundai:
  • Better fit and finish overall to the vehicle. Body panels feel more solid, ranging from doors, to hood, to hatch vs. trunk.
  • Better electronics. There's no comparison. Hyundai realized software is a big deal and paid a lot of attention to it. It's likely Honda learned from the 11th-gen Civic and the 12th-gen coming in 2022 will see real improvement (though no-one knows yet). Hyundai was also smart to make their electronics similar across all cars once they got things sorted. Hyundai also did their climate controls far better; touchscreen climate controls on the Civic were pretty annoying.
  • DCT instead of CVT. If you have to have a CVT, Honda's CVT was actually quite good. That said, it still had a bit of rubber-band effect unless you mitigated it with Sport mode. The DCT is more fun to play with, although 1st gear is a little balky (smoothed out by going manual, Sport auto, or Sport manual).
  • Interior quality. I tested a Civic Sport Touring when looking; the leather is more slippery and not the quality of the N-Line; I'd rather have cloth in the Civic, even non-heated cloth, compared to the leather.
  • Paint quality. At least for the moment, I'm more impressed with the paint quality on the Hyundai.
  • M0ar P0wer. You have to go to the Civic Si to get a comparison -and it's never been available as a hatch.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other:
- Handling. The Civic handles incredibly well, but the EX isn't as tight on 16" rims. Go with 18" rims and the Sport's suspension, and I assume they'd be on nearly equal footing. The N-Line is tight cornering, but to be at its best, it needs ultra-performance all seasons or summer rubber, especially to combat the wheel-slip from no LSD or active torque vectoring.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds like you are in the Kzoo area. Nice to hear of someone else in West Michigan with an N Line. They are great cars. Kind of a sleeper as there is No badging except on the rear hatch. The interior is fantastic. Very elegant and well done. I like the manual trans, it makes the car "fun to drive". The summer tires make the car handle great. I purchased Blizzacks for winter tires this winter. We will see how they do. They are noisy compared to the summer tires. The more I drive the N Line the more I like it. The GT N line seems to me to be more of a "GT". Now that I have some miles on the car, The exhaust sounds great! I can actually hear it! I could not in the Honda. Now that I have had the car for a year and 9,000 miles it seems to be a better car now than when it was new. I drive my wifes Buick Encore mainly on the weekends and when I go back to work on Monday, wow the power. LOL the Buick is about 145HP.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's mine after a ceramic polish: 2020 N-Line Tech Package with DCT

Mods so far: pierberg wastegate solenoid upgrade, sxth intercooler resonator delete, hks m45xl spark plugs gapped to 0.024in, afe scorcher gt running in sport+ (91 octane map).

Future mods: lighter wheels (17x7.5" OZ Alleggerita HLT is looking nice at 15.4lbs vs. 26lbs), sticky tires (General G Max RS in 225/45r17), ceramic window tint, front grill replacement (whenever it becomes available), possible resonator delete (if dealership shop approves of it).

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N-Line w/Tech package
37 Posts
Sounds like you are in the Kzoo area. Nice to hear of someone else in West Michigan with an N Line. They are great cars. Kind of a sleeper as there is No badging except on the rear hatch. The interior is fantastic. Very elegant and well done. I like the manual trans, it makes the car "fun to drive". The summer tires make the car handle great. I purchased Blizzacks for winter tires this winter. We will see how they do. They are noisy compared to the summer tires. The more I drive the N Line the more I like it. The GT N line seems to me to be more of a "GT". Now that I have some miles on the car, The exhaust sounds great! I can actually hear it! I could not in the Honda. Now that I have had the car for a year and 9,000 miles it seems to be a better car now than when it was new. I drive my wifes Buick Encore mainly on the weekends and when I go back to work on Monday, wow the power. LOL the Buick is about 145HP.
Further north, closer to GR. But I'm willing to drive 1-2 hours to try out and buy a car. This was the one certified pre-owned GT N-Line with the tech package in southwest MI. The mileage and use were very low. I could have gotten a GT N-Line new in Kalamazoo, but still the DCT and no tech package; that's like getting a cake and finding it has no frosting. I wouldn't buy a straight N-Line without the stick, and yet, there are times when Sport-auto is more convenient .

I'm getting close to the 9,000 mile mark. Got the Hyundai BlueLink transferred online, and that just adds to the value. Now I'm waiting for my catch can to arrive so I can keep the engine clean.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here's mine after a ceramic polish: 2020 N-Line Tech Package with DCT

Mods so far: pierberg wastegate solenoid upgrade, sxth intercooler resonator delete, hks m45xl spark plugs gapped to 0.024in, afe scorcher gt running in sport+ (91 octane map).

Future mods: lighter wheels (17x7.5" OZ Alleggerita HLT is looking nice at 15.4lbs vs. 26lbs), sticky tires (General G Max RS in 225/45r17), ceramic window tint, front grill replacement (whenever it becomes available), possible resonator delete (if dealership shop approves of it).
Ceramic polish looks fantastic on the black. Have a '20 DCT N-line as well with a afe scorcher. Did you notice any difference after you installed the pierberg wastegate solenoid upgrade? I am totally with you on the OZ Alleggerita HLT choice but I will need a big fat bonus to afford them ...Lol We shall see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ceramic polish looks fantastic on the black. Have a '20 DCT N-line as well with a afe scorcher. Did you notice any difference after you installed the pierberg wastegate solenoid upgrade? I am totally with you on the OZ Alleggerita HLT choice but I will need a big fat bonus to afford them ...Lol We shall see.
Thanks! As far as the scorcher, I installed the solenoid first in preparation for installing the piggyback so I'm not sure how large the difference would be, but I will say that at stock what I noticed is that power in boost felt more linear instead of occasionally hesitant like it did pre-solenoid upgrade. Noticed on Sunday that if im in normal mode, DCT is shifting a lot earlier than it was after the ECU reset so I guess I've been driving too much like a grandma and its trying to save me gas...annoying because now I have that 4th gear low speed around town lag again unless I tip in to throttle over half way to get it to downshift or slap the paddle. Wish I could just keep the car locked to sport mode as the default, annoying to always have to remember to hit it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks! As far as the scorcher, I installed the solenoid first in preparation for installing the piggyback so I'm not sure how large the difference would be, but I will say that at stock what I noticed is that power in boost felt more linear instead of occasionally hesitant like it did pre-solenoid upgrade. Noticed on Sunday that if im in normal mode, DCT is shifting a lot earlier than it was after the ECU reset so I guess I've been driving too much like a grandma and its trying to save me gas...annoying because now I have that 4th gear low speed around town lag again unless I tip in to throttle over half way to get it to downshift or slap the paddle. Wish I could just keep the car locked to sport mode as the default, annoying to always have to remember to hit it.
Yes normal mode is mileage (Granny) mode. Wish there was a way to make sport default. I always switch to it at start up for better warmup. Which solenoid did you install?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes normal mode is mileage (Granny) mode. Wish there was a way to make sport default. I always switch to it at start up for better warmup. Which solenoid did you install?
This one...Pierburg Wastegate Solenoid

·
Registered
132 Posts
This one...Pierburg Wastegate Solenoid
Ok thanks. That's pretty pricey. I can get them for around $40.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to the forum, but I recently purchased a 2019 Elantra GT N Line with 6 speed manual. I've had it a few weeks, and it's awesome! I don't expect to see many of these in the Houston area, which only adds to the appeal for me.
Same with me here in Thunder Bay Ontario.. just 2 gt nlines running around that I know of...and the 6 spd manual is awesome. I did install a stage 2 oil catch can from the PCV valve and does collect oil and condensation.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts