Hyundai Elantra GT banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
With all the posts regarding ignition misfires, coil pack failures and plug problems it seems the oil companies are trying to help with a new reformulation and classification (SN plus or SN +).Our small displacement GTDI engines seem most susceptible. Haven't seen any of the 5W-40 weights reformulated yet but many already add the classification to the 5W-30 oils. I will be changing to it on my new '20 N-line @ 1000 miles.

What You Need to Know About Low-Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pennzoil 5w40 platinum euro synthetic + Fleetguard LF3462 filter

Fleetguard is the supplier for Cummins who makes nothing but direct injection turbo engines.

·
Registered
85 Posts
OEM filters. I've been buying from the dealer so there's no chance of getting a counterfeit. I was using Pennzoil platinum 5W-30 but I've switched to Kirkland (costco) full synthetic oil.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I use Quaker State 5W-30 Advanced Durability SN+
Do you guys take any credence in the new SN plus formulation to help with combating low-speed-pre-ignition?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use OEM filter just to prevent dealer from giving me any hassles.
You mean for warranty? They can't deny for doing your own maintenance and using the appropriate filters and fluids. Hyundai doesn't make their own filters it just has their logo stamped on it.
I prefer that my engine lasts outside of warranty so im using a filter that has a decent micron rating and an oil grade designed for protection not fuel economy. I can't find the rating for the oem part number 26300-35504 but im guessing its crap considering that's what hyundai says to use after people ran non oem filters with too high of a rating and it caused a "ticking". Likely from restricted oil flow to the VVT system.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You mean for warranty? They can't deny for doing your own maintenance and using the appropriate filters and fluids. Hyundai doesn't make their own filters it just has their logo stamped on it.
I prefer that my engine lasts outside of warranty so im using a filter that has a decent micron rating and an oil grade designed for protection not fuel economy. I can't find the rating for the oem part number 26300-35504 but im guessing its crap considering that's what hyundai says to use after people ran non oem filters with too high of a rating and it caused a "ticking". Likely from restricted oil flow to the VVT system.
Believe me I understand what you are saying. I have no plans on keeping this TGDI motor past my 3 year lease. When it gets turned in it will have a Hyundai filter on it. The OEM filter will be fine and is inexpensive.

Also why would Hyundai make a crap filter if they provide a 100K warranty. That sounds pretty ignorant on their part if they would do that.

I know people can have 20 page discussions about oil filters but when it comes down to what dealers can point a finger at..... the OEM filter is not one of them.

To me running the new SN + oil specification is more important in combating the issues TGDI motors have than filter selection. I usually change my oil more frequently due to alot of city driving too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wouldn't even care that much for a lease. 100,000km warranty isn't a whole lot, its only 1/3rd or less the expected lifespan of the engine. First change was around 3600km because the oil was almost a year old since the car was built plus it looked thin and smelled like gas. Done every 5-6000km since. Use 1/4 to 1/2 a can of crc gdi cleaner before I drop the oil and fuel cleaner in the tank after. 87 octane top tier. It was idling a bit rough somethimes before I installed a catch can on the pcv to the intake. I don't have any of these TGDI issues you speak of.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wouldn't even care that much for a lease. 100,000km warranty isn't a whole lot, its only 1/3rd or less the expected lifespan of the engine. First change was around 3600km because the oil was almost a year old since the car was built plus it looked thin and smelled like gas. Done every 5-6000km since. Use 1/4 to 1/2 a can of crc gdi cleaner before I drop the oil and fuel cleaner in the tank after. 87 octane top tier. It was idling a bit rough somethimes before I installed a catch can on the pcv to the intake. I don't have any of these TGDI issues you speak of.
How many total kms on the car now?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just about to hit 30,000km and doing the 6th change on tomorrow. The first 3 changes were using 10w30 dexos 2 before I did more research and decided to switched to 5w40.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes I mean for warranty issues. No auto maker manufactures their own oil filter. This is not significant with respect to quality. The filter is made to Hyundai specs. You certainly have an interesting perspective on what makes a filter good. Other filters with better ratings resulted in ticking yet the OEM filter is crap. Does this higher filter rating actually result in great engine longevity or is it a feel good number?

·
Registered
130 Posts
BTW newest latest greatest oil filter from Hyundai is 26300-35505 as it supersedes the 26300-35504 filter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes I mean for warranty issues. No auto maker manufactures their own oil filter. This is not significant with respect to quality. The filter is made to Hyundai specs. You certainly have an interesting perspective on what makes a filter good. Other filters with better ratings resulted in ticking yet the OEM filter is crap. Does this higher filter rating actually result in great engine longevity or is it a feel good number?
Like I said im guessing because I can not find any info on it. It appears to be a good filter and its inexpensive, that is mainly why I don't trust it. I know im buying good filtration media not just a cool looking blue filter with a hyundai logo stamped inside it. Less containment in the oil absolutely means longer engine life. I have seen heavy truck engines with 2 million or more killometers and the crank/cam bearings look brand new because it got regular changes with synthetic and good filters.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts