Hyundai Elantra GT banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get the tires to be more flush with the body of the car. Can i get this effect without using spacers? Thanks in advance. Pics would be great to see what others have done

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good question. I was doing some research because I have some 245 40s sitting in my garage from another car. Evidently they may fit, may bulge a bit, may increase the diameter around 2%.

Safely, on that size rim, 235 will fit by most all manufacturers. Another 10mm may be possible, because manufacturer's sizes vary and one's "235" isn't necessary the same as the next "235", but that kind of depends on the end result. If you want to go that wide, you should pick up some wider rims most likely. Mine will come with the crappy AS tires due to the DCT, so that makes me want to try the 245s I have to see if they'll fit, but if you are rocking the AS tires, you'll get a huge improvement by going to PS4S 235s, probably a lot more cost-effective than going a little wider with a new rim. I have an excel program to calculate profile (ratio) and height, so I haven't run these through that yet, as in what profile would be optimal with 235, it's likely slightly lower ratio will be better. Offset and inner rubbing is the other concern and I don't know if my tires will fit on the font with this in mind. Again, I have a calc for offset, but I haven't plugged any numbers from my coming GT N-line in it yet.

One way to get started on this would be to find out the offset of the stock wheels on the N-line and compare those to the offset of the i30N. Once I have those data, I can figure out what will and won't fit on the inside edge most likely.

Curious to hear if anyone else knows. Maybe ask on the N-cars.net website, seems to be a lot more traffic there.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Good question. I was doing some research because I have some 245 40s sitting in my garage from another car. Evidently they may fit, may bulge a bit, may increase the diameter around 2%.

Safely, on that size rim, 235 will fit by most all manufacturers. Another 10mm may be possible, because manufacturer's sizes vary and one's "235" isn't necessary the same as the next "235", but that kind of depends on the end result. If you want to go that wide, you should pick up some wider rims most likely. Mine will come with the crappy AS tires due to the DCT, so that makes me want to try the 245s I have to see if they'll fit, but if you are rocking the AS tires, you'll get a huge improvement by going to PS4S 235s, probably a lot more cost-effective than going a little wider with a new rim. I have an excel program to calculate profile (ratio) and height, so I haven't run these through that yet, as in what profile would be optimal with 235, it's likely slightly lower ratio will be better. Offset and inner rubbing is the other concern and I don't know if my tires will fit on the font with this in mind. Again, I have a calc for offset, but I haven't plugged any numbers from my coming GT N-line in it yet.

One way to get started on this would be to find out the offset of the stock wheels on the N-line and compare those to the offset of the i30N. Once I have those data, I can figure out what will and won't fit on the inside edge most likely.

Curious to hear if anyone else knows. Maybe ask on the N-cars.net website, seems to be a lot more traffic there.

Definitely check out N-Cars. Much more active, and actual i30N owners who can give more data (potentially technical data) than a general forum here. Which, nothing against this one and the other more trafficked Hyundai websites, but people here are more concerned about retrofitting LEDs and a submwoofer into their base GT, or how low you can slam the car and how dark the tint, or turbo their Atkinson cycle Nu 2.0 motor, versus any measurements or hard science and engineering, or anything simply practical and performance-oriented. Again, nothing wrong with that. You do you, but....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not good news, but not surprising. Like most manufacturers, the OEM tire size is the widest you can put on the rims. You *might* find a tire manufacturer that will say you can mount a 235 on a 7.5, but going by the basic rule, it won't fit. There's usually 4 rim sizes that will fit correctly for a certain width. I did get lucky with Michelin a few weeks back when I bought PS4s for my 1LE, I couldn't find the front 285 size anywhere and 295 would normally have been out of the range, but Michelin said it works. I suspect their tires run a little "skinny" and this is why (and in which case it makes no sense to run them, vs. other manufacturer's 225s).

I have a tolerance of +/- 0.25 for the tires that will maintain the OEM diameter. Usually at or within this is a no-brainier and not going to rub or bottom out vertically on anything and shouldn't cause any significant speedo errors.

Just for comparison, in my offset tool I put the GT N-line wheels and tires and the i30 N in there to see what the difference is. You can see the i30 N 235s only stick out 1.65mm more, meaning the change in offset on the i30 N wheels shifts them a little further inward to compensate. Obviously you could run 8s at the offset I listed, since it's stock for the i30 N, but going even wider is going to depend on what is known to work.

I built both spreadsheets to help find winter wheels and tires for my 1LE that would maintain the same width, without having the wheels all sucked into the fenders. Not in the same outrageous widths that the summer tires are, but something that could be driven in the winter just for some exercise. Worked great.

Also, I can see from this that my idea of using 245 40s is pretty stupid. Not going to do that now that I see how far it'll be off.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I built both spreadsheets to help find winter wheels and tires for my 1LE that would maintain the same width, without having the wheels all sucked into the fenders. Not in the same outrageous widths that the summer tires are, but something that could be driven in the winter just for some exercise. Worked great.
I thought I recognized you from the Camaro6 forum. Interesting that we both have N Lines and Camaros.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yup, getting a car for winter and for some long summer trips. Don't need an SUV and this looks fun. The tech package is a big part of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yup, getting a car for winter and for some long summer trips. Don't need an SUV and this looks fun. The tech package is a big part of it.
Yes it is a fun car and the tech package is most certainly worth it. The DCT is very responsive and I have not experienced any of the quirkiness that early reports claimed about slow maneuvers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts